• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#16 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 30 December 2010 - 16:46

well there is no set class i guess.... ummm let me look for the graphic...

Posted Image

That's way too many classes, or builds or whatever they call it. Seems like that would be ridiculously confusing.

#17 devi59

devi59

1337 Dad

Posted 30 December 2010 - 16:57

Pretty sweet game but there is an NDA people.

#18 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2010 - 17:16

That's way too many classes, or builds or whatever they call it. Seems like that would be ridiculously confusing.

It is......the game makes suggestions of what classes go together but like what I ran into with my first character, two classes that were almost identical in terms of skills. It was either level up one class only, or level both classes and get identical skills for the first 10 levels or so.

Pretty sweet game but there is an NDA people.

I don't see anything in this thread that has not already been talked about openly before on other sites. Sure there is an NDA, but it's not like people are posting screenshots or videos of the game in this thread.

#19 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 30 December 2010 - 17:22

NDA was lifted the other day.

tbh there's was nothing in teh game that wasn't already on youtube anyway. and NDAs tend to hurt new games more than help.

#20 Civilian

Civilian

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2010 - 17:37

I've been playing the 3rd Beta and it just feels like another generic MMORPG, the rifts are a fun touch and the openness of the class system is a nice approach but there isn't enough that feels unique enough to warrant subscribing.

#21 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 17:47

Eh, i don't think i can play it long term. I hate to say it, but after playing WoW i just expect certain things of MMOs and, well, this does not have them.

Pros:
Extremely stable game, best beta i've seen.
Many classes
Story is more interesting than most MMOs
UI is pretty good

Cons:
Many classes feel the same
Does not feel "unique", while playing all i could think was "i can play a game like this, but better, if i log onto WoW"
Graphics do not have a strong art style = will not hold up over time
Races are not very unique - on the bad side you have a human, a evil elf and a big human. On the good you have a human, an elf and a dwarf.
It pretty much outright tells you what class combinations are good, thus you will end up seeing many archetypes.
Story, while better then most, is still nothing to write home about. Evil people invade world, two factions think it needs to be saved different ways.
everything i use looks the same. In WoW (hate to keep using it as an example, but the games are alike), if i cast storm strike on my shammy it's apparent, if i use __ heal or __ ability i can tell, as it has a prominent and easy to spot graphic. On my Reaver (the death knights of Rift) all of my abilities were pretty much the exact same thing. I have 2 diseases, then 5 moves that just hit for damage. It literally just became me pressing whatever i wanted because they were just all clones with slightly changed damage. I'm usually not a fan of melee classes, though, so i'll try making a caster on the other faction and see how it is.

Overall: I don't see this game being more than just another face in the crowd. It tries to be a combination of different MMOs which might work if it came from an established franchise in gaming, but since it's a new IP with a new backstory (that is fairly boring) it does not have much going for it.

What i see the problem as is that, yeah it's a good MMO compared to the ones that have come out recently. But it's still a MMO, and it needs to compete with juggernauts. To even have a chance of taking population from things like LoTRO, WoW and such you need to make a splash and have something going for you that the others don't have. This game is a mash up of various MMOs, but it's still not.. "revolutionary", it does the things it wants to well, but it has nothing to draw me away from games with more content, players and budgets.

#22 DigitalE

DigitalE

Tree Climber

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:35

Got my beta key, but apparently I have to wait until the next "beta event"...?

#23 Minifig

Minifig

Kun Det Bedste Er Godt Nok!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:21

Would anyone here perhaps have a spare beta key?

I'd kinda like to see if this game is the game Vanguard Saga of Heroes could have been.. and I'd like to add it to the list of MMOs I've beta'd..

#24 OP +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

Posted 07 January 2011 - 16:53

Well, only about an hour until the next Beta Event. Anyone else in?

#25 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 07 January 2011 - 17:27

i invited some people to my mumble server to do this beta on if they wanted. dunno what the turn out will be like because suspect one of the posters doing beta doesn't want to lose admin right he has on his vent server and try out mumble and possibly pming his info around there.

if anyone wants the info if you're a solo beta player and want some company, at the very leas ti should be online playing wow or borderlands tonight, so just pm me for the info.

#26 twist

twist

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2011 - 17:37

haven't really been paying to much attention to this, hopefully they'll have an open beta soon (beta weekends are pure crap). cataclysm is pretty damn boring so I'm already looking for a game to play.

#27 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 07 January 2011 - 17:44

there doesn't seem to be an OB planned or even time for one between now and launch. there was some comments that seem to indicate not even all the planned CBs will be able to be done before the launch.

apparently it's pretty easy to hit the beta caps on multiple character and pvp on the beta weekends. ofc this bring about the usually silly assumptions that the levels after the cap will be just as fast to to level through(see this in nearly every mmo beta where the cap is low and leveling to it is fast).

but overall the betas seem very good comparatively., quick fixes to player issues and responses to player feedback in each patch.

#28 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 18:04

Seems i did not get into this beta, unless they have not sent out the invites yet.

#29 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 07 January 2011 - 19:59

I got an invite a couple days ago.. Im guessing it's for the current beta? I haven't downloaded it yet.. but todays is friday so I have all weekend to test it out.. if it's up??

#30 OP +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:12

It's up and running. They've been doing server-wide events that have
pretty damn awesome. Have I mentioned I like this game?