Intel's Sandy Bridge sucks up to Hollywood with DRM

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934536/intels-sandy-bridge-sucks-hollywood-drm

CHIPMAKER Intel has cut a deal with Hollywood in its Sandy Bridge chips to put digital restrictions management (DRM) in them.

Intel's sellout to the big media companies makes it 'safer' for Hollywood studios to offer premium movies to consumers on locked-down personal computers. No doubt the media content cartels and Intel are dreaming monopolistic visions of extracting big rents to stream everything online.

According to Reuters, Time Warner's digital distribution unit and other studios plan to offer high-definition movies to consumers who have PCs with Intel Sandy Bridge chips inside, simultaneous with releasing them on DVD.

Apparently the media cartels are dead keen to get their content on PCs that are locked-down even to the level of the chip.

Mooly Eden, Intel's VP and general manager of the PC client group said that Intel's embedded DRM allows content to be streamed to computers with Sandy Bridge chips and that Chipzilla is making deals with all the studios and content distributors to make it available.

we need more details, it seems like it is what win7 has with protected audio path etc this stops you from ripping the audio but possibly for video too? I'm sure hackers will defeat this though.

so this means on sandybridge i can't legally back up my media for my own home media server streaming only to within my own network?

or something to do with allowing more access to streaming media somehow for some reason closer to physical media release in retail?

it's kind of cryptic.

:rofl: 2 things will happen if it's true.

1. Hacker will create patch to remove or overwrite the code.

and/or

2. You'll see AMD sale skyrocketing.

I'm not due to make another computer till maybe end of 2011 or beginnng of 2012 anyway.

No just like when people whined that Vista and 7 was forcing DRM on them.

this means that people with this chipsets has the OPTION of watching legally bought digital movies on release day. and those who download them illegally no contributing to those who created their chosen entertainment for the night cans till watch them.

No just like when people whined that Vista and 7 was forcing DRM on them.

this means that people with this chipsets has the OPTION of watching legally bought digital movies on release day. and those who download them illegally no contributing to those who created their chosen entertainment for the night cans till watch them.

yeah that's kind of what i'm thinking too, just not too sure.

i think options to legally watch streaming content sooner is great. as long as it reasonably priced and ad free. as well as more regions getting content. those are my biggest issues with digital content that's legal most of the time, aside from actual availability. not that i do much piracy of media either. i just don't bother watching it most of the time.

Given that this gives the consumer more options than a non-DRM capable chip (two scenarios - watch DRM enabled content with support, or watch non-DRM content as per normal), this article is sensationalist drivel. It's hardly a 'sellout', with zero mention of Intel implementing this in exchange for any financial benefits. If you have a chip with this capability, it gives you an option you wouldn't otherwise have, and it does not, and will not impact your ability to watch DRM-free media. People need to get a clue instead of seeing the words 'DRM' and going stupid.

People need to get a clue instead of seeing the words 'DRM' and going stupid.

Not going to happen on Neowin. Too many nitwits around who think that DRM is a four letter word.

Not going to happen on Neowin. Too many nitwits around who think that DRM is a four letter word.

And it's quite obviously a three letter word :p

(and yes I know it's not a word at all)

The potential for complete lockdown is scary, but it isn't to that point yet. If all of our computers had checks such as those when uploading a video to youtube, that might suck. DRM sucks, ripping people off sucks. Buying DRM free content does not suck.

Just before the DRM idiots fall over each other through the door, all this means is that the Sandy Bridge processor is able to play back certain DRM protected content. This is no different than nVidia/ATi/AMD from implementing HDMI/HDCP into graphics cards.