Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goretsky

Definitive Best Antivirus 2011

Definitive Best Antivirus 2011   724 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice? (see Continued, below)

• Agnitum AV/Outpost
    • Alwil Avast!
    • Arcabit ArcaVir
    • AVG
    • Avira Antivir
    • Beijing Rising AV/Internet Security/PC Doctor
    • Bullguard AV/Internet Security
    • CheckPoint ZoneAlarm/AV/Internet Securit
    • ClamWin
    • Computer Associates
    • Comodo AV/Internet Security
    • Dr. Web (Dialogue Science) AV
    • Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Online Armour
    • ESET NOD32/Smart Security
    • F-Secure
    • Frisk F-PROT
    • G Data AV/Interet Security
    • Hauri ViRobot
    • Kaspersky AV/Internet Security
    • ** Not on this list, see below **
  2. 2. Your choice? (continued)

• McAfee
    • Microsoft Forefront/Security Essentials
    • MWTI eScan
    • Norman AV/Security Suite
    • Panda AV/Internet Security
    • Softwin BitDefender
    • Sophos
    • SUPERAntiSpyware
    • Symantec/PC Tools/Norton
    • Trend Micro
    • VirusBlokAda VBA32
    • Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    • Other (please specify)
    • ** Not on this list, see above **

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

142 posts in this topic

[NB: Quick edit to fix typo in title as pointed out by the eagle-eyed SuperKid! AG]

Hello,

I have not seen a replacement for the Definitive Best Antivirus 2010 message thread, so thought I would create one.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

I have not seen a replacement for the Definitive Best Antivirus 2010 message thread, so thought I would create one.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Oh I love the smell of a fresh post with a survey! Lets see what in my opinion do I think is the best at this time that I have tried hmmm.

These type of threads always end up in silly arguments .... there is no BEST anything, only what works for you!

Sorry, I can't vote in a public poll. :p

Is it me or does this poll want me to choose one from each of the 2 lists? :wacko:

Is it me or does this poll want me to choose one from each of the 2 lists? :wacko:

yea gives me the same thing lol

Hello,

It seems that there is a limit of 20 items per question. Let me ask if they can be merged.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I fixed the poll so that you can select 'Not on this list' as an option. Also, pinned thread.

As for my picks, as a paid antivirus I would go for NOD32. For free I would pick Avast!. My main concerns for antiviruses have to do with speed and I/O overhead on the system.

Avira! Faster scans than MSE, lightweight memory usage, and pretty darn good detections rates based on tests I've seen on av-comparatives. GUI needs an overhaul though..

Another vote for Avast - had it for 5 years now. I find it light on system resources. It doesn't detect everything, though there isn't an anti-virus out there that does.

Hello,

Many thanks! I had wonder if doing something like that would be a solution, but was unsure of whether it would affect the already gathered results.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I fixed the poll so that you can select 'Not on this list' as an option. Also, pinned thread.

As for my picks, as a paid antivirus I would go for NOD32. For free I would pick Avast!. My main concerns for antiviruses have to do with speed and I/O overhead on the system.

I have to cast my vote for Microsoft Security Essentials, but I was using Avast before that, and I really liked that one.

I cast my vote for MS Security Essentials. But before that, I was using Avast which is also a good AV.

NOD32!

NOD32 as a pay to use product, and MSE as a free to use product.

My main machine (the lappy) is using NOD32 and on five other PCs I have MSE installed.

ESET NOD32.

Using avira free, stays out of the way most of the time

Was using MSE, now using ESET Smart Security.

Aryeh,

Congrats on being re-awarded as a Microsoft MVP (from your Twitter page)! Are you still affiliated with Eset?

Now, as much as I respect NOD32 and Eset as a whole, I found myself drawn to Microsoft Security Essentials and have been using it for some time now. I use it in conjunction with Windows Firewall w/Advanced Security. For my needs, being that I am extremely careful in terms of the websites, attachments, etc. that I work with, MSE has been adequate. I use 2 PCs at home and $55.99 for NOD32 is quite steep when there are free alternatives out there, especially with the economy being the way it is. But one size does not fit all and I wish the folks at Eset continued success.

I would ask, assuming you are still with them, if Eset has ever considered offering a free antivirus option to compete with MSE, AVG, Avast, etc.? I think if more people tried your excellent products, they would be very likely to purchase the paid versions of NOD32/Smart Security.

Just a thought.

I've been a NOD32 user since around 2005 and have been extremely happy with the protection and speed of the product. Of course, I combine that with some general internet common sense gained over the years (and in some cases, the hard way) to keep my system safe.

I generally recommend MSE to friends and colleagues if they are looking for something free or cheap, but if they are open to a paid solution I always recommend NOD32.

Having said that however, having anything (almost) is better than nothing.

Another antivirus poll and again Microsoft Security Essentials is going to run away with it... :)

Avast for me....by the way, Alwil Software changed their name - it's called AVAST Software now ;)

Another vote for Avast - had it for 5 years now. I find it light on system resources. It doesn't detect everything, though there isn't an anti-virus out there that does.

Agreed that is why I don't use one. I take a better approach even if it is more restrictive. No performance overhead is the best part! I do run a virus scanner still but only every month or so. I don't use it constantly or ever keep it on my system.

MSE

These type of threads always end up in silly arguments .... there is no BEST anything, only what works for you!

/Thread