Developed by: BioWare

Published by: LucasArts

Platforms: Windows

Engine: HeroEngine

Genre: MMORPG

ESRB Rating: RP

About Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game Overview Info credit
Play Star Wars?: The Old Republic? and forge your own Star Wars? saga in a story-driven massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts. Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.

Join us. Your personal Star Wars saga begins in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The Setting Info credit

Three Thousand Years before the rise of Darth Vader...

The Galactic Republic stood for generations as a bastion of peace in a galaxy of warring star systems. Protected by its stalwart Jedi guardians, the Republic held the greatest hope for the progress of civilization and galactic unity.

Deep in unknown space, however, a mighty Sith Empire was forged, led by dark Sith Lords who dreamt of galactic domination and vengeance against their ancient Jedi enemies. After centuries of preparation, the time came for the Sith to make their return.

With a massive fleet and an awe-inspiring army of fearless troops, the Sith Emperor launched a surprise assault, quickly capturing dozens of worlds in the Outer Rim, and sparking a war unlike any other in the galaxy?s history.

From the frozen wastes of Ilum to the desert plains of Dathomir, violent battles killed untold millions. Despite its avowed neutrality, surface structures on the water-covered world of Manaan were completely destroyed, forcing the Selkath to retreat to their ocean underworld. Other star systems fared worse?some destroyed, others left uninhabitable. The carnage concluded with the Sith Empire sacking the Republic's capital planet of Coruscant and forcing the Republic Senate into the controversial Treaty of Coruscant.

In the years since the treaty, fear and uncertainty have gripped the galaxy, enabling the Sith Emperor to pursue his own mysterious purposes while the Republic has made efforts to rebuild its infrastructure and adjust military priorities to the new galactic landscape.

Now, tensions between the Republic and the Empire are running high, and a series of border skirmishes and proxy wars have broken out, even on planets as historically peaceful as Alderaan. The uneasy truce established by the Treaty of Coruscant is quickly tearing apart at the seams, and a return to all-out war has begun in all but official terms.

A new generation of heroes, both light and dark, emerges to face the difficulties of these chaotic times, and fight for the fate of the galaxy in this most desperate age.

Test Star Wars: The Old Republic

Go to the official testing sign-up page

Sign up for an opportunity to become a Star Wars: The Old Republic game tester. We will be selecting community members who have completed the Game Testing registration process and meet the specific requirements of the test. Those that are selected will gain access to the game and be able to provide valuable feedback for the Star Wars: The Old Republic Development Team.

Buy/Pre-order

All pre-order information: [Link]

Collector's Edition
Pre-Order Exclusive:

• Early Game access
  • Color Stone (virtual item)
  • 30 Days Game Time included

Limited Collector's Edition Includes:

• Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
  • Game disks collectible metal case
  • The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural as annotated by Satele Shan
  • The Old Republic galaxy map
  • Custom Security Authentication Key
  • Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
  • High-quality Collector's Edition box
  • Includes 7 Additional Digital Items:
  • Flare Gun
  • Training Droid
  • HoloDancer
  • HoloCam
  • STAP
  • Exclusive Mouse Droid
  • Exclusive Collector's Edition Store

Digital Deluxe Edition
Pre-Order Exclusive:

• Early Game access
  • Includes 5 Additional Digital Items:
  • Flare Gun
  • Training Droid
  • HoloDancer
  • HoloCam
  • STAP

Standard Edition
Pre-Order Exclusive:

• Early Game access

Required/Minimum Specs

Source

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:
Windows XP or later

RAM:
Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Video Card:
Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:
ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive - 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only)

Internet connection required to play.

Notable Links

Official Site Links

View more content on Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cinematic Trailers

For more videos, visit their official Trailers page or at their official YouTube channel.

'Deceived' Cinematic Trailer

'Hope' Cinematic Trailer

'Return' Cinematic Trailer

Screenshots

For more screenshots, visit their official Screenshots page!

Coruscant
t5g1av.jpg

Rendili Hyperworks BT-7 Thunderclap (Starship)
15846c7.jpg

Sith Pureblood (Playable Species)
2hob4ma.jpg

Vanguard (Advanced Class)
2hf27g9.jpg
Thread version: 1.01
Last update: September 24, 2011
+Added release date.

Now that's an official thread. (Y) I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm not a huge fan of the MMO genre but BioWare might change that. I loved them since the KOTOR days so I have faith that they'll deliver a solid game.

I'm really looking forward to this game. Thanks for starting this thread. I signed up and hopefully I'll be able to participate in the beta. :D

Nice! I just hope there isn't a monthly fee, or I will be on this like a kid on a chocolate bar!

There will most definitely be a monthly fee for this.

how new are those screenshots? they look better than the last time i looked. game looks better every time i take a new look. i wonder if the animations have improved that much as well.

this is one of the games i'm looking forward to this year. could be a contender for the first real competition to wow, but i think at worst it will be a decent mmo compared to years of blockbuster "wow killers'" spectacular retention rates.

i post on the guild forums from time to time and wow do these prelaunch guilds that are already recruiting have some strange ideas about mmo's. thinking their "core" of 50-100 members is small and tight knit and will stay interested enough up to and after launch due to having strict forum and vent requirements. there's even a hardcore raid pvp guild claiming they will get all the world firsts in the game based on dubious claims of being in region first wow guilds despite never having played together except in wow p server raiding(LULZ!). then when you make a recruit me post you get spam from 20 different recruiters and you check out their guilds and you have to wonder if they actually read your post at all.

Nice! I just hope there isn't a monthly fee, or I will be on this like a kid on a chocolate bar!

There will definitely be a monthly fee. They haven't said anything about pricing yet though.

Now that's an official thread. (Y) I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm not a huge fan of the MMO genre but BioWare might change that. I loved them since the KOTOR days so I have faith that they'll deliver a solid game.

I'm glad you liked the thread! :D

BioWare is actually what got my cousin into the MMO genre. I too have a lot of faith they will deliver an awesome experience.

I'm really looking forward to this game. Thanks for starting this thread. I signed up and hopefully I'll be able to participate in the beta. :D

There will most definitely be a monthly fee for this.

Release date is getting near, so I figured I would go ahead and write a thread. I'm hoping everyone finds it useful!

Let me know if you get in to the beta! I can't wait to hear what people think about it!

how new are those screenshots? they look better than the last time i looked. game looks better every time i take a new look. i wonder if the animations have improved that much as well.

this is one of the games i'm looking forward to this year. could be a contender for the first real competition to wow, but i think at worst it will be a decent mmo compared to years of blockbuster "wow killers'" spectacular retention rates.

i post on the guild forums from time to time and wow do these prelaunch guilds that are already recruiting have some strange ideas about mmo's. thinking their "core" of 50-100 members is small and tight knit and will stay interested enough up to and after launch due to having strict forum and vent requirements. there's even a hardcore raid pvp guild claiming they will get all the world firsts in the game based on dubious claims of being in region first wow guilds despite never having played together except in wow p server raiding(LULZ!). then when you make a recruit me post you get spam from 20 different recruiters and you check out their guilds and you have to wonder if they actually read your post at all.

Screenshot #1, #2, and #4 are from December 2010. Screenshot #3 is from late November 2010. They're very recent. :)

I think this game has a lot of potential to be amazing! I really hope it does well!

The funny thing is, I noticed the EXACT same thing. I've seen the most ridiculous threads that I seriously just laugh at. It gets funny, it really does! :laugh:

Well its an mmo, mmo's typically have either monthly fee or micro-transactions but jury's still out on those, mainly I guess because initially you can make more off the monthly subs.

Eitherway, very much looking forward to this game but im still not sold on it being an mmo. Looks more like theyve made an awesome MASSIVE single player game where you occasionally work with other players if you choose.

bring on my sith toon!!

Also wouldnt be holding your breathe for the original 2011 launch date. Likely wont be out till Q3 maybe Q4.

http://games.on.net/...other_Year_Away

Well, if i were to trust anyone to make a WoW contender it would be Bioware.

that's my thinking too. i don't like every bioware game, but they are quality dev studio withe financial backing and blessing of their publisher to do it.

unlike wow, swtor is going to need to be very polished and live up to 100s of hours of playtime per class.

ofc there's always going to be the power gamers who speed level to "endgame" within a month or less and complain there is no content there.

personally i'm looking for something that will keep me interested past the first month.

btw i plan on rolling a jedi sentinel. i would prefer a single saber jedi but not into being a tank. my alt will be a smuggler. unless i get pushed into rolling sith inwhich case i'll go sith warrior main and bounty hunter alt.

that's my thinking too. i don't like every bioware game, but they are quality dev studio withe financial backing and blessing of their publisher to do it.

unlike wow, swtor is going to need to be very polished and live up to 100s of hours of playtime per class.

ofc there's always going to be the power gamers who speed level to "endgame" within a month or less and complain there is no content there.

personally i'm looking for something that will keep me interested past the first month.

btw i plan on rolling a jedi sentinel. i would prefer a single saber jedi but not into being a tank. my alt will be a smuggler. unless i get pushed into rolling sith inwhich case i'll go sith warrior main and bounty hunter alt.

I'm really struggling to decide which class I want to be. At one point, I had cut it down between Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight. Then, there was an update on their site that really made Trooper seem like an amazing experience. So now, I'm back at having to decide between three classes. :laugh:

plenty of time to decide and if you get into beta it'll make things easier, not that the first few levels really show what a class is a bout typically.

personally i just like the idea of playing a jedi, even if tend to suck at melee classes in mmo's.

Bah Monthly fee sucks. Wish there wasn't.

Monthly fees don't really cost that much compared to the time an average MMO player spends on the game in a month. The good thing about the fees is they kill spammers pretty well, a fact which is then completely nulled once free trials come out. :p

Its got to be some sort of melee class for me, preferably a lightsaber weilder

Otherwise I'm giving serious thought to a character that is good at crafting/jury rigging and handy with a blaster - in fact I might do this first

Its got to be some sort of melee class for me, preferably a lightsaber weilder

Otherwise I'm giving serious thought to a character that is good at crafting/jury rigging and handy with a blaster - in fact I might do this first

If you're in to crafting, you should check THIS out!

Smuggler, Trooper, Imperial Agent, and Bounty Hunter are the blaster wielding classes.

Definitely continue to give serious thought about what class you want to choose, as I think they mentioned at one point in time that you will NOT be allowed to swap classes.

well you can always reroll but at level 10 you choose your advanced class like for jedi knights it's guardian(tank) or sentinel (mdps) and after that you are stuck with your AC on that toon.

also the crafting looks cool. queue up your crafting plan on your ship and go back to questing and a few hours later you have some super cool items to wear or sell. i might actually craft in this game.

well you can always reroll but at level 10 you choose your advanced class like for jedi knights it's guardian(tank) or sentinel (mdps) and after that you are stuck with your AC on that toon.

also the crafting looks cool. queue up your crafting plan on your ship and go back to questing and a few hours later you have some super cool items to wear or sell. i might actually craft in this game.

Crafting is definitely something I want to get really experienced with. A lot of money can definitely be made with Crew Skills! :D

I'm hoping this Friday, they'll have another update on Crew Skills. There is still a lot to be revealed about it.

Well although I never got into the first one, I signed up for an account just in case I do get into this one this time around. That, and I was able to get DirtyLarry as my name, so I am happy about that. (Y)

they running another round of beta invites?

I'm pretty sure BETA hasn't started yet. When you make an account, you select the option stating that you are willing to participate in the BETA when it begins. When it does, they'll notify you if you've been accepted.

I'm pretty sure BETA hasn't started yet. When you make an account, you select the option stating that you are willing to participate in the BETA when it begins. When it does, they'll notify you if you've been accepted.

It has started.

It has started.

I did some research. According to the FAQ, it hasn't. I guess it hasn't been updated yet.

xbck87.png

According to Joystiq though, it has. This article is from July 2010. [Link]

My apologies. :)