Star Wars: The Old Republic

official mmo star wars the old republic bioware pc star wars mmo

• Please log in to reply
833 replies to this topic

#796 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:14

WoW is boring, SWTOR is much better honestly.

Not really. You get to level 50, complete content in a month, and then there's nothing left to do.

#797 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:26

Sure there is. There's plenty to do after 50.. WoW however I'm struggling to even find the want to get to 50 much less 90.

#798 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:33

Posted Image

Well, I can't say the free-to-play is really that bad.

#799 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:22

I'm subscribed now again anyway, subscribed during the weekend as it's still the best MMO around, certainly kicks WoW's ass for fun and interesting gameplay, Secret World could have been a competitor, but it's struggling in a few important areas. still fun but not as fun as SWTOR.

#800 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:25

Well, I can't say the free-to-play is really that bad.

Oh please, it's awful. They restrict you so much that you have to pay just to be able to enjoy the game.

#801 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:29

While I'm a subscriber, frm what I can see I see no big restrictions on this game other than what's on any other free to play game. pay to unlock raids, and limited inventory and such and other basic limitations. You can still enjoy the game and group with people and do PvP and basic group dungeons.

OMG you don't get the full game for FREE!!!! OMG GAME SUCKS!!!''sorry but there's a very big very enjoyable game available in there for free. if you want the full thing, then subscribe. of course you get more and better if you subscribe. but it in no way makes the free stuff less enjoyable.

#802 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 17 November 2012 - 16:41

Looks like the F2P scheme won't be enough to stall the collapse of this game. Expect it to be handed off to some off-brand developers early next year.

#803 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2012 - 16:47

Looks like the F2P scheme won't be enough to stall the collapse of this game. Expect it to be handed off to some off-brand developers early next year.

Collapse? they've been steady at over a million for well over half a year now. after the first people dropped off after the first 6 months, they've been pretty steady, and the F2P has brought back quite a few people in addition to the steady million they have.

#804 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 17 November 2012 - 16:57

Collapse? they've been steady at over a million for well over half a year now. after the first people dropped off after the first 6 months, they've been pretty steady, and the F2P has brought back quite a few people in addition to the steady million they have.

No, dropped below million quite a while ago.

http://www.g4tv.com/...below-1-million

I can smell BDF quite a ways away so I'll leave you to your illusions from here on out.

#805 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:26

That just says it dropped below a million, which means it could and probably still is above 900k, and they have been gaining members again the last few months so they could be above a million again now.

then again, the difference between me and you is that you simply hate the game because it's not Kotor or somethign and dont' play it, I like it and actually play it and see the amount of players that are there.

I think their biggest error was splitting the game up into that many servers to start with, had they had the amount of servers they have now, or maybe just a few more since they're starting to hit full now, I think they'd have kept a lot more players.

#806 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:31

Played it last night and I really wasn't impressed. After playing traditional RPGs like The Witcher 2 it just didn't feel right, like I was playing a budget game from years ago. The trailers make the story elements look really good but the tedious gameplay just meant it wasn't worth the effort, even though it's free.

#807 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2012 - 18:48

OMG you don't get the full game for FREE!!!! OMG GAME SUCKS!!!''sorry but there's a very big very enjoyable game available in there for free. if you want the full thing, then subscribe. of course you get more and better if you subscribe. but it in no way makes the free stuff less enjoyable.

Sure you can do the story, but that's basically it.

Here's the limitations. I'm not including common ones like character, race, and inventory limit.
No bank.
One tradeskill.
Higher respec costs. Wtf?
No raids.
5 Warzones per week.
Only full rewards from 3 Flashpoints per week.
Three space missions per week.
No emergency fleet pass.
Longer quick travel cool down.
Later level for mounts. Wtf?
Can only revive if you die 5 times in the zone at a med center. Wtf?
Increased vendor prices. Wtf?
Takes longer to gain exp. Wtf?
No rest exp.
Takes longer to gain valor levels.
GUI quickslot limitations. GUI limitations? Seriously?

I don't know about you, but with such severe limitations. The game is pretty much unenjoyable as a F2P.

Let's compare that to EQ2's free to play. Again I'm not including the common ones to the F2P model.
Can't get the full specialization points.
Adept spell tier.

That's about it. EQ2 pretty much lets you play and enjoy the entire game. They don't gimp you on stuff costing more, exp gain taking longer, mount levels, number of dungeons and raids you can do, etc. I've never seen a F2P model (well maybe except the Asian ones) that limit and punish you in so many ways.

#808 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:13

Sure you can do the story, but that's basically it.

Here's the limitations. I'm not including common ones like character, race, and inventory limit.
No bank.
One tradeskill.
Higher respec costs. Wtf?
No raids.
5 Warzones per week.
Only full rewards from 3 Flashpoints per week.
Three space missions per week.
No emergency fleet pass.
Longer quick travel cool down.
Later level for mounts. Wtf?
Can only revive if you die 5 times in the zone at a med center. Wtf?
Increased vendor prices. Wtf?
Takes longer to gain exp. Wtf?
No rest exp.
Takes longer to gain valor levels.
GUI quickslot limitations. GUI limitations? Seriously?

I don't know about you, but with such severe limitations. The game is pretty much unenjoyable as a F2P.

Let's compare that to EQ2's free to play. Again I'm not including the common ones to the F2P model.
Can't get the full specialization points.
Adept spell tier.

That's about it. EQ2 pretty much lets you play and enjoy the entire game. They don't gimp you on stuff costing more, exp gain taking longer, mount levels, number of dungeons and raids you can do, etc. I've never seen a F2P model (well maybe except the Asian ones) that limit and punish you in so many ways.

Actually, the respec cost is the same, it was lowered for subscribers.
5 war zones, yeah? Want more hey pay for it, you get 5 of then.
Want raids, yeah pay for them again. Fairly standard stuff for mixed f2p and p2p games, and less face it, it beats the living crap put of any pure f2p game
And no prices where increased, again they where reduced for subs, so it's just as playable for f2p as it used to be for p2p, and stuff is always ridiculously expensive in f2p games to make people pay.
Xp is again, same as it used to be for subscribers, and again a standard for f2p games, pay for faster experience.

As for GUI limits, actually it's also pretty common in f2p games, in addition, f2p p,ayers have the same GUI limits as used to be before f2p, they simply added more quick bars for subscribers.

Sorry not seeing how the game is unplayable or anything.

As for EQ2, having played the game both before and after your comparison fails on several levels, first there's far more differences than that, secondly, it was a dying game, it wasn't even close to half of SWTORs subs, heck I believe they where under 250k when they went free. And it was and old game approaching end of life and it aged terribly.

#809 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:02

Xilo's posts

Posted Image
My take on your complaints as a F2Player of several games, having trial experience in this game and my current character is a Sith Pureblood/Assassin:
  • race --- Standard stuff, Sith Purebloods are the Master Race.
  • inventory limit (+ one crewskills) --- Standard stuff, it doesn't make sense to have several crewskills when you have an inventory limit and your companion can't even remote sell the stuff.
  • No bank --- Standard stuff.
  • Higher respec costs. Wtf? --- Higher... because the subscribers actually don't pay anything. F2Players do. Still standard stuff.
  • No raids. --- I don't know what those are, but I agree with you just for the greed of it.
  • 5 Warzones per week. --- I don't like the group PVP thing.
  • Only full rewards from 3 Flashpoints per week. --- Agreed.
  • Three space missions per week. --- Agreed.
  • No emergency fleet pass. --- I don't need it.
  • Longer quick travel cool down. --- I don't need it.
  • Later level for mounts. --- Assassins don't mount. They sneak around.
  • Can only revive if you die 5 times in the zone at a med center. --- Not at a med center, but in the field. And that's more than you get in other games.
  • Increased vendor prices. --- Standard stuff, even in the real world.
  • character (+ Takes longer to gain exp) --- Standard stuff, and if you take longer to level, it would made no sense to parallelize several characters.
  • No rest exp. --- I never saw this in any game I had played, subscribers should consider themselves fortunate.
  • Takes longer to gain valor levels. --- Standard stuff.
  • GUI quickslot limitations. --- As an Assassin, I don't need more than 2 quickbars.
Currency cap is standard too. The only thing that ****es me off are the commendation and gear caps.

In the end, if you don't play a lot, you don't need to subscribe.

#810 McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:40

So is anyone else still playing this? I recently came back as a full subscriber and I'm loving the new content.
Guild Wars 2 got stale on me pretty quick.

P.S.
I'm on the The Ebon Hawk server, Empire side, running with my guild: The Wolf Pack.