Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard

I am writing this review mainly because I have not yet found a half decent user review of this keyboard. All the reviews I found were either previews on Youtube or review site reviews but even they don't go into that much detail. I'm not a reviewer, I'm a PC Gamer by night, IT Sysadmin by day and Photographer on the weekends so I want to read about how good it is in my area of working! Stuff that matters like software bugs and how it compares to other similar keyboards as well as gaming (as in, can you get full WASD+SHIFT+SPACE etc functionality).

Having kept kept my eye on this board since November when I first saw some previews and read about it I finally finally have it :D

Bought it from Logiitech via their website as no other places here stocked it online or offline (UK).

I got it for £55 with a 20% discount by trading in my K340 wireless keyboard via the Logitech trade in scheme thing.

Let's begin!

Info & Main Review

The packaging is pretty minimal and neat, neat as in it makes use of all the space and is all recyclable materials too, pretty good way to sell a solar powered product no doubt:

pc_logik750_packing.jpg

I am going to compare my little review of the K750 with my K340 keyboard which I have had for a while now as well as the diNovo for Notebooks keyboard which I had before that. The K750 is a bit longer but much more spacious, more spacious than the diNovo too thanks to the chic keys, one thing I did not like about the K340 was the keys which were close together and the whole keyboard itself was very light and keypresses were quite audible because of the lack of absorption through the keyboard. I still liked it though as it was cheap enough and was what I was after at the time since my diNovo for Notebooks died and I fancied a change.

Here's the K750 side by side with the K340:

pc_logik750_frontVSk340.jpg

And with/without the height adjustment:

pc_logik750_heightadjust.jpg

(The K340 has no height adjustment, neither did the diNovo for Ntebooks)

Immediate impressions were that I found myself typing faster and more accurately with the K750 compared to the other two keyboards, I was even finding it more comfortable than the diNovo as the keys are bigger and spaced out better and had less chance of typos via accidental key presses.

I have had the K340 for so long though that I was accidentally hitting ";" instead of "l" (and some other similar errors) as my fingers were too used to the compact spacing of the K340 and more especially the DELETE key which is high up on the K340 - Some adjustment time was needed!

The K750 is very thin and the use of space extends from the packaging to the keyboard itself. It's about the same weight as the diNovo but it's thinner, even more than my HTC Desire in fact!

pc_logik750_thicknessvsphone.jpg

The solar panels can charge off ambient room lighting, the lux meter in the solar app shows you what the current charging level is based on the ambient lighting present. The smiley face begins at 150 lux so I assume that the most efficient charging begins at that level, so daylight+ But I have a feeling that it will charge the battery at below that lux, just slower. No issue though. Never have to worry about losing charge again :p

Installation was the easiest of all, my mouse and old KB use the unifying receiver anyway so I just paired the new board and off it went. Installed the Wireless Solar App which shows you the power reserve (3 months of use in the dark are possible they say) as well as the current lux value of ambient lighting as well as some graph for historical info and so on. The app loads when you click the smiley face button on the keyboard. It does not close when you re-press the button though, it must be closed manually. This I do not like as it would have been nice to have auto close when gaming if I just wanted to see the battery reserve in the dark (I game in the dark!).

The whole front is glossy, it is not glass and can scratch if wiped with an abrasive cloth (I know some people like to use Magic Eraser pads to clean keys, for example).

It comes with a microfibre cloth to wipe with and looks like it's going to be very easy to clean otherwise. Design wise it's definitely a head turner compared to other keyboards and dare I say it, but better looking than Apple's wireless board too! Saying that, the keystrokes feel quite similar although the Apple keys are completely flat and straight edged whereas the K750 keys are curved and softer edged - I find this a lot more comfortable.

But this is a keyboard! Why should you care how it looks? A keyboard should allow you to type with speed and comfort and not focus on being stylish, amirite?

Thankfully the K750 does both but while some purists might disagree ("ergonomic" and mechanical switch keyboard fans, for example) I have to say this does indeed do both, for my kind of usage anyway.

After doing a tediously long O-LAS health and safety course at work this week I realised that it's not the type of keyboard you buy or use but instead it's how you use it that does or does not result in some kind of RSI/CTS/other wrist/arm injury and many people are not aware of this and then go out to buy a full on ergonomic or special keyboard expecting their health to be completely fine thereafter.

Gaming

This is one area where wireless keyboards have pleased (where Logitech boards are concerned anyway) and annoyed (almost all brands) me at the same time.

Pleased because the performance has always been great with no lag (on the Logitech ones I have had) but annoying because the W+A/D for strafe + SHIFT/CTRL combinations were never really usable at the same time (depending on board, some were D only, others W only etc). FPS gamers may well know what I am talking about but here's an example for everyone else:

Pressing SHIFT to slow walk and then moving with W and then strafing with d won't work as you're pressing too many keys but strafing left with a is fine. It's a known quirk with many wireless keyboards so I checked this out on the K750 and all combinations work perfectly fine so this has turned out to be great for gamers too. That and the fact that the bottom row of keys are slightly more raised than the other keys means hitting CTRL and ALT with your pinky/thumb is pretty easy too.

I played a vs campaign on Left4Dead 2 while writing the first half of this post :)

Microsoft's Keyboard Ghosting test page: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/KeyboardGhostingDemo.mspx

logitechk750_ghosting.jpg

As you can see, plenty of combinations are available :p

Final thoughts and dislikes

Nothing is ever perfect, that's just the way it is! There are some things I dislike and while some of these will be personal preference, others will apply to everyone I think.

1: The keyboard has no LED indicator for CAPS lock. My K340 and the diNovo as well as other wireless boards have had this in the past. There is an OSD but it only shows in Windows and not in games.

2: The Solar Panel App loads in the foreground so if I want to see battery reserve in game the game will minimise.

3: Already mentioned but the Solar Panel App won't auto close on a 2nd press of the info button on the keyboard, this should go in hand with point 2 really.

4: The Setpoint software out of the box still doesn't allow remapping of other non media/F keys such as ALT GR, I never use this key so it would have been nice to remap it to a quick shortcut or keystroke. You still have to use uBerOptions to unlock other stuff but I don't know if the latest Setpoint works with it.

Overall I really like this keyboard. It's comfortable to type on and whisper silent while doing it. The incurve keys are nice but on day 1 I am not immediately feeling the difference while typing but resting my fingers on the keys they do feel nice.

For £55 (if you use the trade in program) it's a bargain since the diNovo for Notebooks I had in the past cost £50 and this K750 is better in every aspect. It's slimmer too but strangely feels like it weighs the same. not a bad thing as the weight keeps it pretty robust and feel like you're typing on something solid instead of filled with plastic.

I'll be happy to do any tests people want or other pics and answer any questions (well, that's a given :p).

And lastly, here are some other pics:

pc_logik750_buttons2.jpg

pc_logik750_frontangle.jpg

pc_logik750_buttons1.jpg

pc_logik750_desktop.jpg

logitech-solar-app.png

Update:

- Pics of rear side and rechargeable battery access.

- Sound file of typing noise, mic resting on the desk directly in front of the keyboard (you can see it in some of the pics above :p).

pc_logik750_rear.jpg

pc_logik750_battery.jpg

Soundbite of keyboard noise

Edited by mrk

Monitor is a Hazro HZ24Wi, pretty old now but still great for what I need it for (games and photo editing).

Nice keyboard.

Will be a dust magnet, though.

It may will be, will have to see over the next few days but thankfully it's very easy to clean and a dribble of Mr Sheen will keep dust away for a while at least!

Good review!

I just got mine this week :) I installed it at work as I didn't need another keyboard at home and so far so good. The typing is a lot better than on my old keyboard :p

(I got mine from a contest here at Neowin :))

Good review!

I just got mine this week :) I installed it at work as I didn't need another keyboard at home and so far so good. The typing is a lot better than on my old keyboard :p

(I got mine from a contest here at Neowin :))

Haha yeah I won as well. :p

Great keyboard, keys are nice to use and it's generally comfortable. Has a US key layout so I have to adjust to it. :p

3 questions

1- Does it charge if you set the keyboard to the Off position?

2- How much Lux (approx) would a monitor screen give off? Would it be enough to charge? Even if its slowly.

3- Lastly I wanted to know if a room with strong light outside filtered through blinds would be enough as well?

As above :p

My battery is still reporting 100% and my monitors + corner energy saving lamp stand provides 15 lux of luminance. This must be enough to charge it in use and off use as I've used the board quite heavily since purchase now!

Great review :)

I've been looking for this keyboard for some time now but can't find it for sale anywhere in Canada. Even Logitech's website doesn't have the option to add it to your cart :\

I've been using an Apple Keyboard for a few years now and love the chiclet layout (I type like crap on non-chiclet keyboards now). I wanted a wireless version, but sadly the Apple wireless KB doesn't have a numpad, which I would quite possibly die without. The K750 looks like the perfect replacement.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of a CAPS led. My laptop is the same and it drives me up the wall.

Great review :)

I've been looking for this keyboard for some time now but can't find it for sale anywhere in Canada. Even Logitech's website doesn't have the option to add it to your cart :\

I've been using an Apple Keyboard for a few years now and love the chiclet layout (I type like crap on non-chiclet keyboards now). I wanted a wireless version, but sadly the Apple wireless KB doesn't have a numpad, which I would quite possibly die without. The K750 looks like the perfect replacement.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of a CAPS led. My laptop is the same and it drives me up the wall.

Yea same here, been watching this board since its first showing, no where in Canada has it, and no US sites have it or won't ship here. Annoying. I really want it.

That would have put me off the keyboard itself. But due to Dell's QuickSet software that comes install on their laptops, a notification appears in the system tray whenever Caps Lock is on, which also is designed to fit in with the Windows 7 tray.

I think the Caps Lock key is long overdue to be removed TBH. I don't know anyone who relies on its use day in day out and can imagine the only people who will need it are the always angry and need to vent their spleen on the internet :p

Everyone else can just hold SHIFT to type a word in CAPS!

But yeah, lack of indicator means having to install OSD software such as Setpoint (which is good anyway so worth it) or some other 3rd party app just for that purpose.

As above :p

My battery is still reporting 100% and my monitors + corner energy saving lamp stand provides 15 lux of luminance. This must be enough to charge it in use and off use as I've used the board quite heavily since purchase now!

Fantastic! I was the same as you, I couldn't find a decent review that talks much about the charging and light levels required. Now I do and I'll get this as my next keyboard :D

Battery right now is reading 98% - This is probably due to my first weekend with it and having used it the whole weekend! I would expect the battery to go back to 100% or maybe 99% in normal ambient daylight so when I get home from work it's recharged.

Will see!