Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 release imminent?

Microsoft today published update KB976902 to Windows Update. This is the same update that Service pack 1 beta participants have to install prior to installing the Beta and RC versions of Service Pack 1. The update entitled "Description of the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 installation software feature update" on the information page is available for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. I'm currently running the release candidate of SP1 on my Windows 7 machine so I am unable to confirm if this has been released on Windows Update for Windows 7 also, but I assume so.

Microsoft describes the update as follows:

Updates to the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 installation software are included in this update. The installation software is the component that handles the installation and the removal of software updates, language packs, optional Windows features, and service packs. This update is necessary to successfully install and to remove any service packs to all versions of Windows 7 and on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Link to KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902

The update appearing on Windows Update is a strong indicator that the release of Service Pack 1 is near.

post-64792-0-22798500-1294789891.jpg

I see this on WU as well, but I'm not sure why it's unticked for me, and the other 3 updates ticked.

Same thing happened to me. Shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm installing the news updates now. I'm looking forward to SP1. :)

I see this on WU as well, but I'm not sure why it's unticked for me, and the other 3 updates ticked.

It was unticked for me by default also. Maybe they are just staging it and will tick the box to auto-install at some point in the future?

Got this too, but only after installing a first round of updates. And then WUing again.

Wait, did one of the updates fail for you too at first?

One of my updates failed, but then once I restarted and tried again it installed. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

Wait, did one of the updates fail for you too at first?

One of my updates failed, but then once I restarted and tried again it installed. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

KB2419640? That one failed for me. Error 80080005

Downloaded the update seperately and it installed fine after a reboot.

KB2419640? That one failed for me. Error 80080005

Downloaded the update seperately and it installed fine after a reboot.

Yup, that's exactly it. Good, I thought it might have been only me that had the problem. :D

I wonder whether the failed update was meant to be installed in a specific sequence, i.e. before or after the W7 SP1-related update but not concurrently?

As far as I can tell there were no pre-requisites.

Hope it's out soon, got a lot more workstations to deploy 7 to at work and it would help a great deal if I could update the image with SP1 in advance, rather than deploying them and the machines updating a few days later!

They should hurry up and release the IE9 RC after SP1 is out as well. Come on MS, move faster already!

it is unticked as businesses won't want to install anything to do with SP1 until it has been tested with their software.

Btw this was also released yesterday: KB2454826

This fixes directwrite so that text in firefox 4 and IE9 isn't awful, it won't let me install it on my win 7 SP1 beta unfortunately. Hoping that SP1 is released soon so i can make a slipstreamed disk, format and install it. Yes i know it is unlikely that we will be able to do a proper slipstream so we will probably only be able to put it in /updates/ folder on the DVD but still thats better than nothing.

...winrumors says that it's coming soon...

Lol. That Winrumors article was posted by Tom Warren, a former Neowin staffer. Note how it was posted about 9 hours after my post here whistle.gif

It's just fluffed out a little bit with stuff we already knew about SP1. A shame I wasn't credited there. Oh well, at least Neowin appreciates me rofl.gif

I believe it's unselected by default since SP should be previewed before deployment to prevent any negative impacts. So SP1 should be very close now...

No. The update released yesterday is not the service pack, so there's nothing to preview. What was released yesterday is an update to the Windows update mechanisms that install updates and services packs. I'm sure other future updates will use it too, not just the service pack.

Is there a quick bulleted list of the good stuff in Win7 SP1? (besides regular updates WinUpdate provides).

Not really much to bullet. It's basically all the Windows updates up till now, along with some unreleased hot-fixes that were only available on request. In addition to Remote FX technology and memory enhancements in Hyper-V. That's it.

http://www.winrumors...se-is-imminent/

winrumors says that it's coming soon, maybe on Jan 18/25 for public release. Technet and MSDN should have it anytime now.

Just had a look on TechNet, no sigh of it just yet. Would be lovely when SP1 come since as I need to update the system deployment image at work, no point doing it when SP1 seems to be round the corner.