iOS 5-Wish List

Maybe he meant the flash for the camera?:shifty:

I wonder if apple would enable those hand gestures in iOS 4.3 beta iPad version on the iphones and ipod touches. But since their screen is pretty small well :whistle:

Yes!

Has anyone come up with a reason why these 7-10" slates all need back cameras?

I took a picture with my sisters Tab and, why? Its seems to be there just cause phones have them, an argument can be made for front facing.

The only wish I would like to see its the ability to download documents and videos and able to watch it offline. I know that there are already apps that can do this, but it will be useful if this is a feature of iOS by default.

Get Atomic Web Browser! Besides being a GREAT Safari replacement, the last version released this week supports the download of almost any type of file to your phone. Then you can access the file through iTunes or even send it by e-mail or a Dropbox account. It is not a PC, but works pretty well.

Able to hook up to an external hard drive and transfer files to and from.

I'm pretty sure that you can do that right now with the Camera Connection kit, at least moving them from the drive to the device. It only supports photos and video files that it recognizes.

The only things I want:

- Wireless syncing with iTunes (and auto syncing when on the same network)

- New notification system. Androids pull down menu would be great

- Better keyboard. Speficially giving me a choice of words as I type (Similar to other mobile keyboards) so you don't have to even complete the word most of the time. If it was clever enough to stop turning atm into ATM that would be great..

iPhone 4 has never had iPhone OS 3.0 :shifty:

Exactly, the iPhone 4 is exempt from my comment for two reasons.

• It never had iOS 3.x
  • The inside is 50% battery

1. Lockscreen with notifications/widgets (bigger widgets for iPad)
  2. Better notification system
  3. Live updating of Clock and Calendar icons
  4. Tabbed browsing on iPad
  5. Email previews like SMS
  6. Official Calculator and Clock apps on iPad
  7. Ability to use other keyboards such as Swype

• 2 weeks later...

I want widgets/live icons.

It makes no sense that the Calendar icon will change with each day, but the stupid weather icon is always stuck on 73 degrees and sunny.

If they're not going to use live icons, at least change the weather icon to something more generic. When I first got my iPhone (during the summer), I thought the icon was live updating and was like, this weather app must be broken because it's way hotter than 73 degrees...

I agree that the lock screen could be used to display information of some sort but I'm not sure what else could really be improved - iOS 4 is pretty solid but obviously the notification system needs a huge improvement.

1) Background web apps, web apps in store and HTML5 notifications from web apps

2) Better notification system - Android does this pretty well

3) More codec support (Ogg Vorbis etc.)

4) A refreshed theme - just like how they subtly change Aqua each iteration they should start to change the mostly dormant iOS theme which is looking dated.

Flash 10.1, we can always hope :)

That probably won't ever happen unless competitors win due to the inclusion of Flash; that's the only way I see Apple realising customers aren't accepting the exclusion of Flash. A lot of video is available in HTML5 now (for instance, a lot of news sites - though some are still only exclusively available in Flash). Flash games are out of the question though, since a lot won't work on touch based devices like the iPad. But I have to agree to some extent though - sites like picnik won't work on the iPad because the entire website is made in Flash.

A lot of video is available in HTML5 now (for instance, a lot of news sites - though some are still only exclusively available in Flash). Flash games are out of the question though, since a lot won't work on touch based devices like the iPad.

You're right, it is. But iOS only plays H.264 videos - which is proprietary just like Flash. It doesn't really solve the problem, it just shifts it and makes it harder for developers already using Flash. They need to go all in and support as many codecs/formats as they can (or at least the primary open codec), or implement Flash.

Flash games are not out of the question, like you say a lot wont work - but a lot will. See: Kongregate Arcade on Android.

You're right, it is. But iOS only plays H.264 videos - which is proprietary just like Flash. It doesn't really solve the problem, it just shifts it and makes it harder for developers already using Flash. They need to go all in and support as many codecs/formats as they can (or at least the primary open codec), or implement Flash.

Flash games are not out of the question, like you say a lot wont work - but a lot will. See: Kongregate Arcade on Android.

I'm hoping H.264 doesn't become standard because it's proprietary - at least Google is pushing an open format that I hope others such as Microsoft and Mozilla will support in their browsers - and hopefully Apple too. But I don't think Apple is going to support Flash by choice unless they are forced to if, say, customers want Flash support and because of this competitors win way more customers and market share.

Has anyone come up with a reason why these 7-10" slates all need back cameras?

I took a picture with my sisters Tab and, why? Its seems to be there just cause phones have them, an argument can be made for front facing.

I think it was a way for other tablets makers to beat Apple on paper. No one should be using a 7"-10" tablet to take pictures. The only reason you take pictures on your phone is because of the convenience.

I've always wanted the AppStore to function the same was as iTunes when purchasing multiple items. in iTunes your item minimizes itself to a downloads folder. In the appstore it kicks you out to the home screen ever single time, making download multiple apps a hassle.

My wish list is pretty short.

1. New Lockscreen with widgets (especially for iPad)

2. New notification alerts.

3. Wireless syncing (at least partially)

Actually one more that ADSfull reminded me of. One of my favourite jailbreak apps was StatusNotifier. Which added icons in the statusbar for missed calls, txt messages, new emails ect. It was really handy.

I just wish Apple added App Hiding or lock-per-application....that is, require a password for certain applications. If you borrow your phone, you should be able to limit what people can use/see.

My wish list is pretty short.

1. New Lockscreen with widgets (especially for iPad)

2. New notification alerts.

3. Wireless syncing (at least partially)

Actually one more that ADSfull reminded me of. One of my favourite jailbreak apps was StatusNotifier. Which added icons in the statusbar for missed calls, txt messages, new emails ect. It was really handy.

Ah, definitely agree with widget-lockscreen and wireless syncing. THat'd be a dream.

1. Widgets

2. Better notifications. I dislike how the only option is to dismiss an alert when it comes up on the screen, it would be nice if there were an ignore button or something and then a place to see all the alerts (like SMS messages, App alerts, calendar reminders etc).

3. MobileMe Application Support. For instance, someone could write a Task list application (like ToDo) and make a MobileMe "plugin" for it for through-the-web browser management. It would help bolster MobileMe subscriptions, and it could be a one-stop place to manage all your PIM, Email, and App information that syncs wirelessly with your phone.

4. Flash. Seems less and less crucial everyday, but would be nice if there were at least support. Wish Apple would just give in already.

• 2 weeks later...