Where are "system proxy settings" located ?

Hi

i'm currently testing a proxy program, and i noticed that in FF proxy settings now the option "Use system proxy settings" is checked.

But when i tried to check what are those system proxy settings (set by the program) in Control Panel>Internet options>Connections>Lan settings, there is nothing set in there (?)

So, my question would be, where are those "system proxy settings" located ?

I'd certainly like to know what changes this program made to my system.

Thanks in advance

The settings are in Proxifier itself, it doesn't use the system settings in IE.

The reason why i posted this thread is, in Firefox proxy settings the option "Use system proxy settings" is checked.

Maybe FF considers Proxifier's settings as OS settings.. i wouldn't know.

I just assumed that Proxifier sets OS proxy settings which is subsequently accepted by Firefox as system settings.

It seems that this FF option is a bit misleading..

On the other hand, it's pretty strange that FF calls it "system settings" as the system settings are - empty (?)

Then how can it call this "system settings" ?

It's pretty odd from the OS point of view, isn't it ? :shiftyninja:

The reason why i posted this thread is, in Firefox proxy settings the option "Use system proxy settings" is checked.

Maybe FF considers Proxifier's settings as OS settings.. i wouldn't know.

FF uses the ones set in IE if I remember correctly.

I haven't used Proxifier but I would assume it changed the settings in Firefox and is acting as a system proxy. I think you can find all the setting you need in the program itself though.

I'd say there must be something in-between FF and Proxifier (FF certainly doesn't have ability to look for Proxifier settings).

If not OS (Internet options>Connections) then what could it be ?

(Could proxy settings be revised in registry base ?)

I haven't used Proxifier but I would assume it changed the settings in Firefox and is acting as a system proxy. I think you can find all the setting you need in the program itself though.

It didn't change a thing in FF (at least nothing can be seen) except that "Use system proxy settings" option.

.. and system settings are not set (at least nothing can be seen) (?)

Of course i can find it in the program - i set it by myself.. but i wanted to make sure does the prog do what i told it to do.

FF uses the ones set in IE if I remember correctly.

IE (system) proxy settings is empty..

So then FireFox isn't using a proxy because the settings are empty?

FF is using proxy, but i have no way to check which proxy, i just have to trust the program.

Beside, it's very strange from the OS point of view.

FF is told to look for system proxy settings - those system proxy settings don't exist, but FF still uses proxy ??

Doesn't it sound odd to you ?

Your connections will be blank generally unless you have VPN or dial-up connections listed. When you click on LAN Settings in Connections, THAT is where your proxy server will be entered if you have one. Generally it will be set to Automatically Detect. THIS is also what Firefox uses when set to use system settings.

Why don't you set the proxy manually in Firefox?

These show proxy settings in Proxifier.

http://www.proxifier...ots/screen6.gif

I haven't used it, so I can't really help you there.

EDIT: Not sure if this is possible, but it looks like it just pushes everything through the program when it's run, so regardless of the Windows settings, you enter the proxies and it will use them.

EDIT#2: If you look at the bottom of this page http://www.proxifier.com/documentation/quick.htm, it says you can select programs, which leads me to believe that it won't change the system settings.

• Like 1

Yes, that is how it looks.

I'm using Proxifier for i wanted to try a socks chain, just for testing purposes.

(i wanted to see how fast it can be. i was pretty suspicious about speed, and i was right)

EDIT: Not sure if this is possible, but it looks like it just pushes everything through the program when it's run, so regardless of the Windows settings, you enter the proxies and it will use them.

EDIT#2: If you look at the bottom of this page http://www.proxifier.com/documentation/quick.htm, it says you can select programs, which leads me to believe that it won't change the system settings.

It seems you're right. In that case the option "Use system proxy settings" in FF is simply misleading.

I too don't know how is it possible, but it seems that the program somehow just pushes (run-time) everything through itself.

Thanks for your time and help.

We deal with proxies a lot at work, and I can tell you that if the settings are blank then it's using a direct connection to the internet.

EDIT: My apologies, I should have read the full thread first. Farmeunit is correct in this case.