Buy Portal 2 PS3, get PC/Mac version free & Steam support

If this is a reason to get me to actually use my PS3 for once, I guess I'll bite. :p

Pretty awesome move though!

This is actually pretty cool as I'd not even considered getting the PS3 version. If the PC only price is still ?5/10 less then I'll probably just pick that up still tho as I can still play with my PS3 owning friends.

I wish more games did this, I was forced to buy COD on my PS3 since my PC hating friends wanted the PS3 version :p

This is a great move. I doubt the Bluray is linked to your account once you activate. So if one wanted, they could purchase the ps3 version, unlock it on the pc, sell their ps3 version, and get a free portal 2 game to play on their pc.

Either way, its win for both consumer and seller.

Yes, you know better than Valve...

didn't mean to offen your boyfriend the playstation, but them having a hissy fit cases in cali courts which will most likely get thrown out and suing anyone who threatens to actually open up their platform say something different.

an open platform is where tom, dick and harry can design a program and have it run on the peice of hardware/operating system like windows, linux and osx. you can't do this with sony.

i agree with brian, money must have played a huge part in valve pulling a 180 on their opinion, not even thinking that is a possibility is just ignorance.

and stop calling other peoples opinion stupid just for the sake of it. belittling other peoples opinions like that just makes you sound like a tool.

Edited by rajputwarrior

From the looks of it it's just buy the PS3 version get PC/MAC for free.

Find a friend with a PS3 and split the costs - Although you'd have to be willing to have his PS3 account tied to your steam account. I don't know what repercussions that may have if you get a PS3 at some point or valve increase PS3 steam support and your friend wants to take advantage of other titles.

Yeah, depending on how that works out, I might get my parents to buy Portal 2 on their PS3, then link it to my Steam account. If it works how I hope it will, we will both be able to play at the same time, if it is tied into Steam a little tighter, only one of us will be able to play at a time. Will have to wait and see how it works out. Would be fun getting to play Portal 2 with my nephews or father though.

In other words, Sony have had someone else do the leg work for connectivity and hosting for PSN (like everything else there) so they haven't had to pay / host anything. Same old Sony/PSN, really.

It is good news that where will be cross platform play though, so it's a very good idea. Hopefully this will set a precedent.

On a side note though, Portal was practically a mini game, only took a few hours to get through. Is 2 going to be a full price game?

didn't mean to offen your boyfriend the playstation, but them having a hissy fit cases in cali courts which will most likely get thrown out and suing anyone who threatens to actually open up their platform say something different.

That has nothing to do with the legitimate side of the PS3 and how developers officially do things. You just sound butthurt you can't hack your PS3 to shreds and Sony will shake your hand for it.

That has nothing to do with the legitimate side of the PS3 and how developers officially do things. You just sound butthurt you can't hack your PS3 to shreds and Sony will shake your hand for it.

your comment is stupid.

(see what i did there?)

I'm amazed that there are negative comments in here. Even if money did play a part, it seems that for all the money in the world this still wouldn't have happened on the 360 due to their rules regarding the Live platform.

Valve like the openess of the PSN Network, this isn't just something that Sony have done for Valve, it's always been that way. But yes, of course Sony will not open it up to the extent of "Hey we've created this machine that we sold at a loss for most of its lifecycle, please feel free to go pirate our main source of income"

I'm amazed that there are negative comments in here. Even if money did play a part, it seems that for all the money in the world this still wouldn't have happened on the 360 due to their rules regarding the Live platform.

Valve like the openess of the PSN Network, this isn't just something that Sony have done for Valve, it's always been that way. But yes, of course Sony will not open it up to the extent of "Hey we've created this machine that we sold at a loss for most of its lifecycle, please feel free to go pirate our main source of income"

Section: Sony Console rofl.gif

This is huge news for console gaming, and PC gaming to an extent, anyone who can see this as negative has an agenda of some sorts.

On a related note, amazon prices just now

$59.82 360

$54.99 PS3

$49.96 PC

http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295368362&sr=1-2

I will be buying it for the PS3. Was going to just rent it for the 360, and purchase it for the PC, but now makes all the sense in the world to buy the PS3 version.

I personally do think that money probably did change hands in this, but its not to say thats a bad thing. It happens all the time in the video game industry so it really shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

I think a lot of people have this a little wrong..... I don't believe you will be able to have someone buy the ps3 version and then you use the free PC version while they use the PS3 one. The PS3 one will be linked to your steam account, so while you are online on the PS3, on ps3steam, playing Portal 2, your account will be shown as logged in and in use, thus logging into the account on a PC will log you off of the PS3.

The only time this ever worked was with GTA4 and Steam on PC. You could log into the account that bought GTA4, start GTA4, then have another friend log into your account. It would kick you out of steam, but not the game or online, and then your friend could join you in the game, with your account. But I don't see this working the same with Portal 2.

I think a lot of people have this a little wrong..... I don't believe you will be able to have someone buy the ps3 version and then you use the free PC version while they use the PS3 one. The PS3 one will be linked to your steam account, so while you are online on the PS3, on ps3steam, playing Portal 2, your account will be shown as logged in and in use, thus logging into the account on a PC will log you off of the PS3.

The only time this ever worked was with GTA4 and Steam on PC. You could log into the account that bought GTA4, start GTA4, then have another friend log into your account. It would kick you out of steam, but not the game or online, and then your friend could join you in the game, with your account. But I don't see this working the same with Portal 2.

It depends on how it is done....GTA4 was bought in your Steam account making it a completely different scenario than Portal 2, Portal 2 can be bought off the shelf for PS3. It also says you link your PSN account to your Steam account. That means you are playing Portal 2 on your PSN account, not your Steam account. So I don't see why you wouldn't be able to play Portal 2 on your PSN account and on your Steam account at the same time. But it all comes down to how Valve handles it, nobody knows for sure, but we can hope for the best.

Also, it says: "In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts.". The way it is worded, they are giving you the game for free on Steam Play (PC/Mac) if you own it on PS3. That means you have 2 different copies, the PS3 copy, and the Steam copy.

It depends on how it is done....GTA4 was bought in your Steam account making it a completely different scenario than Portal 2, Portal 2 can be bought off the shelf for PS3. It also says you link your PSN account to your Steam account. That means you are playing Portal 2 on your PSN account, not your Steam account. So I don't see why you wouldn't be able to play Portal 2 on your PSN account and on your Steam account at the same time. But it all comes down to how Valve handles it, nobody knows for sure, but we can hope for the best.

I think they made it pretty clear that linking it to your Steam account allows you to fully use it, such as Cloud storage and interacting with your Steam friends. I don't think there's any doubt that you can NOT play both at the same time. In fact, you may not even be able to log into both at the same time.

Nevermind I misread, I thought it said chatting with Steam friends, but it only says cross-platform chat. However I still doubt you would be able to play both (at least online), since playing online will most likely require you to log into your Steam account, and you cannot have multiple Steam logins.

This is a great deal for PS3 owners, you officially have my jealousy :p

Though I'm an Xbox fanboy, I'm a PC fanboy first, so I'd have gotten it on the PC either way. I cannot stand joysticks :D

However I still doubt you would be able to play both (at least online), since playing online will most likely require you to log into your Steam account, and you cannot have multiple Steam logins.

Who says you need to log into your Steam account though? What if someone doesn't have a Steam account, are they going to be forced to make one before they can play the game?

Honestly I don't think that is the case, it says you unlock the PC/Mac copy by linking your PSN account to your Steam account, which implies that they are two separate entities that are simply linked. So far, nothing has said you can only use one of those at a time.

Until they say a Steam account is required for Portal 2 (for the PS3 version, that is), you shouldn't assume that you do need one. Did TF2 require a Steam account? Sure, it didn't have cross-platform play, but I'm sure it still used the same master server technology that Valve uses for Steam, and I do not think it required a Steam account. Why couldn't they use that same technology in Portal 2 except allow Portal 2 PSN accounts to connect to the same Steam master server list as other platforms (or however they do co-op)?

In short there is simply not enough information to say whether or not someone will be able to play their PS3 copy of Portal 2 at the same time as they play their PC copy, but it does specifically say you get the PC/Mac copy free, implying that you get 2 copies of the game (one that you bought, and one given free by Valve).

If what you are saying is true, then it sucks if your family wants to play Portal 2 but you want to play CS:S or TF2 or whatever on your computer, essentially them playing Portal 2 will block you from logging into your Steam account. I doubt Valve would do that.

Who says you need to log into your Steam account though? What if someone doesn't have a Steam account, are they going to be forced to make one before they can play the game?

Honestly I don't think that is the case, it says you unlock the PC/Mac copy by linking your PSN account to your Steam account, which implies that they are two separate entities that are simply linked. So far, nothing has said you can only use one of those at a time.

Until they say a Steam account is required for Portal 2 (for the PS3 version, that is), you shouldn't assume that you do need one. Did TF2 require a Steam account? Sure, it didn't have cross-platform play, but I'm sure it still used the same master server technology that Valve uses for Steam, and I do not think it required a Steam account. Why couldn't they use that same technology in Portal 2 except allow Portal 2 PSN accounts to connect to the same Steam master server list as other platforms (or however they do co-op)?

In short there is simply not enough information to say whether or not someone will be able to play their PS3 copy of Portal 2 at the same time as they play their PC copy, but it does specifically say you get the PC/Mac copy free, implying that you get 2 copies of the game (one that you bought, and one given free by Valve).

If what you are saying is true, then it sucks if your family wants to play Portal 2 but you want to play CS:S or TF2 or whatever on your computer, essentially them playing Portal 2 will block you from logging into your Steam account. I doubt Valve would do that.

If someone doesn't have a steam account, then they have no account to link the PS3 copy to, to get a free one. But that isn't possible, as I am sure with this, it will require you to create a steam account if you do not have one.

If someone doesn't have a steam account, then they have no account to link the PS3 copy to, to get a free one. But that isn't possible, as I am sure with this, it will require you to create a steam account if you do not have one.

So the wording is wrong, you are not getting the PC/Mac version for free, you are using the Portal 2 PS3 disc as a portable Steam client that includes Portal 2 but requires you to log into a Steam account to play it?

Instead of logging into your PSN account, you will need to log into both your PSN account AND your Steam account? I don't see them doing that personally...

It sounds to me like linking your PSN and Steam account is not required, but optional if you want access to your Steam friends from your PS3. It doesn't make any indication that you are required to do so.

Again, there is no proof that it will require your to create or log into a Steam account, so saying it is going to be that way is no less speculation than saying it isn't.