Microsoft.com is being redesigned

Just got the old page (formatted just now so no cache issue to speak of :D).

Unless that's the silverlight version that i don't have installed yet?

How strange, Yesterday I was just thinking Microsoft hadn't redesigned it's website in a long time and wondered if they would be changing it.

To be honest though, I am not too keen on this new look, it seems worse than the old one IMO (not that the website really matters, most would only rarely visit it).

(left my feedback) :)

Just got the old page (formatted just now so no cache issue to speak of :D).

Unless that's the silverlight version that i don't have installed yet?

The original page is Microsoft.com (www.microsoft.com) but the preview pages is at (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/preview/default.aspx).

Not much is desinged in SL but I think they're focusing on more SL this time so the final page might be little ( very little) diffrent.

MS needs to fire their UI designers. Between stuff like this and WP7, I really fear for how ugly Win8 might be.

Wah wah wah. I'll take WP7's UI over Android or iOS any day of the week.

As far as this design -- it's OK. The header needs the most work out of the whole thing.

:blush:

Kinda Metro/Window Phone 7 ish :D I like it though.

Kinda because it may be more mobile-friendly than the current site?

Consider the following - more browsing is being done with non-computer devices (especially smartphones), which is part of the reason IE browser share is taking it in the shorts (after all, IE is on only two mobile platforms).

Microsoft.com has to adjust (and not just making the current site friendlier to Windows Phone, either).

MS needs to fire their UI designers. Between stuff like this and WP7, I really fear for how ugly Win8 might be.

Yawn...go back under your rock troll. Or you know, actually try WP7 and then talk about it.

I mean until recently, how different was iOS? Oh look you had a bunch of icons on a black background. Shockingly different :rolleyes:

doesn't look as well as the old one, although i like the general fact that they're moving in the metro direction. hopefully the actual product teams make better metro-inspired UI than the website team :p

Yawn...go back under your rock troll. Or you know, actually try WP7 and then talk about it.

I mean until recently, how different was iOS? Oh look you had a bunch of icons on a black background. Shockingly different :rolleyes:

So just because it's ugly, I haven't tried it? That makes no sense.

I'm not saying the default UI of iOS is exactly gorgeous, but it's still a hell of a lot nicer looking than WP7. At least the icons have some "pop" to them instead of some plain colored square with some text.

I think it's much better than the current design. It's a little more cluttered but that isn't always a bad thing. I like the fact that I can access more things on the homepage.

I'm not saying the default UI of iOS is exactly gorgeous, but it's still a hell of a lot nicer looking than WP7. At least the icons have some "pop" to them instead of some plain colored square with some text.

Excuse us if we don't share your dislike for the WP7 UI and joy for icon grids with "pop".

Well for one a lot of the UI has to do with transitions and smoothness, and considering how you can add your own apps (some even with live tiles) to the homescreen (and not all of them are "plain colored squares with some text")...sure makes it a hell of a lot better, imo, than iOS.

Now I haven't used iOS in a while so I could be wrong (last one I used was the 3GS) but have they even added in "live" icons (ie ones that update, like say the weather app icon actually showing the temperate)?