Whats the status of your SSD?

2. You use a RAID array.
If you use a RAID array to increase performance or reliability (a RAID0 array is most often used), it is impossible to control SSDs in such an array in most cases. This is because RAID drivers forbid access to separate drives in the array and SSDLife cannot get any information about the drives. 

I've just tried this app and it's unable to find the revodrive x2 for the aforementioned reason.

RevoDrive 3 X2 does consist of two controllers in RAID0. The little PCB screwed on top of the main one isn't for extra capacity.

I wonder, however, does SSDLife recognize PCIe drives at all?

Are ssd any better these days for longtivity? I've always assumed there crap and die out quickly.  Is it recommended for OS and thats it?

There is really nothing to worry about with modern SSD's, they are projected to have very long lifespan based on testing. For example, take a look at this: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

They did some serious endurance testing by constantly writing data to their SSD's for a long period of time. They had written nearly 800 TiB to the drive before they even ran into any problems!

TLC flash is basically the "lowest end" when it comes to write endurance, and even the samsung 840 which uses TLC flash seems to hold up very well when it comes to endurance testing, and its projected lifespan after the testing they did is very long, and most SSD's use the higher end MLC flash.

The idea that SSD's are "fragile" and will wear out quickly is false, and based on the reputation of first-gen SSD's. SSD's failing due to running out of writes is extremely rare, even for early SSD's, most issues were because of things like buggy firmware (and I also recall certain buggy dell BIOS's bricking SSD's and things like that)

There is nothing at all to worry about when getting an SSD.

Ah cool, you know your stuff, which out of the two would you recommend?

http://www.ebuyer.com/413654-corsair-128gb-2-5-force-series-ssd-cssd-f128gbgs-bk

http://www.ebuyer.com/273572-corsair-120gb-force-gt-ssd-with-bracket-cssd-f120gbgt-bk

The 120GB is more expensive and slow read/write and lower iops (whatever that is) but is slower read/write better in the long term?  Can't see why else it's more expensive

Ah cool, you know your stuff, which out of the two would you recommend?

http://www.ebuyer.com/413654-corsair-128gb-2-5-force-series-ssd-cssd-f128gbgs-bk

http://www.ebuyer.com/273572-corsair-120gb-force-gt-ssd-with-bracket-cssd-f120gbgt-bk

The 120GB is more expensive and slow read/write and lower iops (whatever that is) but is slower read/write better in the long term?  Can't see why else it's more expensive

The cheaper one appears to have better all around specs, so I'd go for that one. Not sure why the other one is so expensive. I'd definitely go for the 128gb one.

Are ssd any better these days for longtivity? I've always assumed there crap and die out quickly.  Is it recommended for OS and thats it?

i used my 30GB Vertex for 4 years. I'm still using my Intel X-25M after 3 years, as well as my 3-year-old Vertex 2.

Well, finally got mine installed, and set up

...And yes I bought it Used from ebay (for ?49 + ?5 postage I'm not complaining)

attachicon.gifSSDLife.png

Dude, powered on 182 times in 17 days? O_O Do you just reboot every hour? LOL

Dude, powered on 182 times in 17 days? O_O Do you just reboot every hour? LOL

lol no I can only assume that's the work it has done before I bought it :)

lol no I can only assume that's the work it has done before I bought it :)

Ah OK, fair enough. :)

i used my 30GB Vertex for 4 years. I'm still using my Intel X-25M after 3 years, as well as my 3-year-old Vertex 2.

Because the original X25-M is bulletproof! (Y)

There is really nothing to worry about with modern SSD's, they are projected to have very long lifespan based on testing. For example, take a look at this: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

They did some serious endurance testing by constantly writing data to their SSD's for a long period of time. They had written nearly 800 TiB to the drive before they even ran into any problems!

TLC flash is basically the "lowest end" when it comes to write endurance, and even the samsung 840 which uses TLC flash seems to hold up very well when it comes to endurance testing, and its projected lifespan after the testing they did is very long, and most SSD's use the higher end MLC flash.

The idea that SSD's are "fragile" and will wear out quickly is false, and based on the reputation of first-gen SSD's. SSD's failing due to running out of writes is extremely rare, even for early SSD's, most issues were because of things like buggy firmware (and I also recall certain buggy dell BIOS's bricking SSD's and things like that)

There is nothing at all to worry about when getting an SSD.

Did they do anything similar for drives with MLC flash? I'd be interested to know how much the difference between the 2 actually is. The drive I currently own does use MLC flash but I'd be interested to know if the reliability justifies the extra cost

Awww this thread loaded on the front page for me and i saw the Vertex2 results...damn they were some amazing drives! So fast, so good! I've got a pair of Agility3's and they're just not the same =(

had a OCZ AGILITY 3 SATA III for a about a year and a half before it died, have not purchased another SSD since. Would really like to get a 500Gb one when the prices come down to replace the one in my laptop.