Whats the status of your SSD?

?? 76%

OCZ Vertex 2,

Since Mon 23rd August 2010

Firmware 1.11 going to try newer, should i worry about losing data ?

no, no data loss. run the updater, reboot, done.

Well that sucks!

<snip>

Surely a drive shouldn't be this poorly after just 18 months? Oh and as a side note, it still works perfectly. If I hadn't run that program I'd have thought it was in perfect condition :/

Depending on your warranty if it does die when it's estimated to (which I doubt) you should be able to get an RMA and get a brand new one. :p

I have only personally seen 2 SSDs fail early. Both of which were connected through an internal case (those 5 1/2" cases that fit 2.5" drives to hold them in place in full-sized towers). Both times, the core issue came down to the connection between the SSD, hot-swappable 5 1/2" bay, and the motherboard. The first one killed 3 drives (the original and 2 replacement drives, and it flat out killed them, they wouldn't work after removing them from the case) before I figured out the issue, the 3rd replacement drive worked fine and is still working to this day without trouble. The 2nd SSD was also in a similar casing, and it also died. Upon getting a replacement that didn't seem to be working properly, we removed it out of the 5 1/2" case and it works fine now.

In short, I have been dealing with SSDs for close to 2.5 years, and the only failures I have seen involved something other than the SSD going out. And that's with all Series 1 SSDs......you have an Agility which should technically last longer due to improvements in the tech.

Well that sucks!

Untitled.png

Surely a drive shouldn't be this poorly after just 18 months? Oh and as a side note, it still works perfectly. If I hadn't run that program I'd have thought it was in perfect condition :/

Oh and here are CrystalMark scores:

Untitled.png

Doesn't seem too bad for a drive probably considered 'Old' in SSD terms, never mind the health :p

Hmm, I see lots of other posts with people who have had them a year+ and far more life left. Do you write a lot of files to the ssd? Do you have scheduled defrag disabled?

Your speeds still look pretty good so I wouldn't worry. The percentage reported by the SSD doesn't necessarily mean its going to die as soon as it hits zero.

Whoa... after browsing this thread, it makes me think twice before buying an SSD :/ seriously

I think it just highlights good and bad ones, all the OCZ vertex and Intel's have been great with lifetimes till 2020ish

its the other brands and models that are failing, OCZ agility, kingston.

I'm now very glad that I was looking at the Vertex and Intel for my 1st SSD.

Depending on your warranty if it does die when it's estimated to (which I doubt) you should be able to get an RMA and get a brand new one. :p

I have only personally seen 2 SSDs fail early. Both of which were connected through an internal case (those 5 1/2" cases that fit 2.5" drives to hold them in place in full-sized towers). Both times, the core issue came down to the connection between the SSD, hot-swappable 5 1/2" bay, and the motherboard. The first one killed 3 drives (the original and 2 replacement drives, and it flat out killed them, they wouldn't work after removing them from the case) before I figured out the issue, the 3rd replacement drive worked fine and is still working to this day without trouble. The 2nd SSD was also in a similar casing, and it also died. Upon getting a replacement that didn't seem to be working properly, we removed it out of the 5 1/2" case and it works fine now.

In short, I have been dealing with SSDs for close to 2.5 years, and the only failures I have seen involved something other than the SSD going out. And that's with all Series 1 SSDs......you have an Agility which should technically last longer due to improvements in the tech.

Yeah I've got a fair bit of warranty left so I'm not too worried. When the performance begins to suffer that's when I'll worry :p

Hmm, I see lots of other posts with people who have had them a year+ and far more life left. Do you write a lot of files to the ssd? Do you have scheduled defrag disabled?

Your speeds still look pretty good so I wouldn't worry. The percentage reported by the SSD doesn't necessarily mean its going to die as soon as it hits zero.

Yeah It's a laptop so read/write amounts are pretty high. I'll give it a few months and see if it's got any worse and maybe try to RMA it (If necessary). If it kept its current performance till the end of its warranty I'd be more than pleased :)

Havent seen any halfway's yet so here's mine ... 62% :\

zpXXQ.png

Alot of reboots are the reason for the massive amount of startups,desktop pc,electric bill wont let me leave her on all nite :blink:

** On a sidenote this is those famed corsairs that are pretty much hit or miss on bootup meaning sometimes they wont even be detected at bootup so thats another couple of hundred bootups, its well documented so i guess i may just get rma'ed and go from there once the life goes down a bit more.

Definitely looks like ocz vertex or intel on next upgrade.

I approve :cool:

Capture.PNG

I'm surprised about my data usage too, I use my computer every day. Guess those optimisation steps really work. I didn't even do /everything/ as some guides suggest. Had this thing for about 4 months now too :s

Actually after 9 months of heavy use I still get the same speeds as on the first day:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 © 2007-2010 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [sATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 256.000 MB/s

Sequential Write : 109.500 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 193.664 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 103.888 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 19.108 MB/s [ 4665.1 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 26.821 MB/s [ 6548.0 IOPS]

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 160.212 MB/s [ 39114.2 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 61.556 MB/s [ 15028.3 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 55.0% (81.9/148.9 GB)] (x5)

Date : 2011/01/27 23:37:37

Actually after 9 months of heavy use I still get the same speeds as on the first day:

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 © 2007-2010 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [sATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 256.000 MB/s

Sequential Write : 109.500 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 193.664 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 103.888 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 19.108 MB/s [ 4665.1 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 26.821 MB/s [ 6548.0 IOPS]

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 160.212 MB/s [ 39114.2 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 61.556 MB/s [ 15028.3 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 55.0% (81.9/148.9 GB)] (x5)

Date : 2011/01/27 23:37:37

nice what ssd do you have?

Aren't you suppose to leave 20% free space for your SSD?

Why buy a 64 GB drive if you can't use all of it? :p I mean yeh, maybe 3-4 GB is nice for temp. files, but 20% is a bit extensive.