LibreOffice 3.3.0 (fork of OpenOffice.org) final released

About LibreOffice:

LibreOffice is the free power-packed Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Support and documentation is free from our large, dedicated community of users, contributors and developers. You, too, can also get involved!

Link: LibreOffice website

View: LibreOffice 3.3.0 release notes

View: New features and fixes in LibreOffice 3.3

Download: LibreOffice 3.3.0 final (for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)

Obligatory screenshot (OS X version):

post-1302-0-02683400-1295957898.png

Can someone tell me if they finally removed the easter eggs?

From what I can tell the easter eggs have been removed.

And the difference between this and openoffice ....?

Kinda what I been thinking... if it's only minor...what's the point :s

And the difference between this and openoffice ....?

Considering that most of the OO.org community moved over to LibreOffice any interesting developments in the future will come to LibreOffice rather than OpenOffice.org.

Linux users will see LibreOffice replace OpenOffice.org in upcoming distribution releases, e.g. Ubuntu 11.04 'Natty Narwhal'.

Feature-wise LibreOffice 3.3.0 is basically OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 with the Go-oo patches added. More new features like a better UI are going to be added to LibreOffice over time.

FOSS developers, 1993 called an they want their UI back!

Drop down menus and cluttered toolbars filled with unassorted icons are about as sexy as bearded ladies. Sorry, but just who do they think would use this outside a linux distro?

I wonder if I can save these files to my floppy drive and then send them to my buddy via my AOL e-mail account. My dial up is taking its good old time with the download too. I hope this install doesn't need more than 5MBs of storage space either, cus thats all the space I have left on my 12 GB drive... :whistle:

Drop down menus and cluttered toolbars filled with unassorted icons are about as sexy as bearded ladies. Sorry, but just who do they think would use this outside a linux distro?

You realize that MS Office was exactly like that up until 2007, and that most apps on every platform still use those drop down menus, right?

That kind of UI has always sucked, but sadly it's not as anachronistic as you are painting it.

I can't remember what UI toolkit they use, but it'd be so nice if they dropped it for something else (Qt or GTK would be nice)

But, the UI is one of the least important parts of the program, being a document editor the document editing parts are what should be looked at.

I wonder if I can save these files to my floppy drive and then send them to my buddy via my AOL e-mail account. My dial up is taking its good old time with the download too. I hope this install doesn't need more than 5MBs of storage space either, cus thats all the space I have left on my 12 GB drive... :whistle:

People that can't afford Microsoft Office and aren't willing to pirate it I guess :rolleyes:

Wow, this is so horribly fugly. I don't know if there are patent issues with implementing the Ribbon. But I remember a couple of years back there was a Project Renaissance which decided to change the OpenOffice UI to a Ribbon-esque layout. Whatever happened to that idea?

I really don't understand all the hate towards the UI. Yes it looks old, but it's functional and similar to what people have been using for years. We have 2010 at work and I still get lost in the ribbon sometimes. Just because it's an old way doesn't mean it's a bad way.

They're not getting it back, because it works. Unlike cheaply-made context browsing... like the Ribbon.

Drop down menus and cluttered toolbars filled with assorted icons are about as sexy as bearded ladies.

Drop-down menus work. And you can remove the toolbars.

Sorry, but just who do they think would use this outside a linux distro?

Every person that needs a office suite that: just works, is gratis, works with legacy files, works in a plethora of platforms.

xP7EU.jpg

My dial up is taking its good old time with the download too. I hope this install doesn't need more than 5MBs of storage space either, cus thats all the space I have left on my 12 GB drive... :whistle:

Being a dial-up user: **** off.

It's funny that people goes "omfg the ui is old and fugly!!".

Yes, it is old and it has been ugly since the day it was introduced back in the 90's, but it's also the same UI you all were using up until just 5 years ago in MS Office, and the same kind of UI you are still using on plenty of other programs.

While a OOo/LibreOffice UI revamp is certainly needed, I don't remember people not getting their work done because of the sheer ugliness of their office software just a few years ago.

It's funny that people goes "omfg the ui is old and fugly!!".

Yes, it is old and it has been ugly since the day it was introduced back in the 90's, but it's also the same UI you all were using up until just 5 years ago in MS Office, and the same kind of UI you are still using on plenty of other programs.

While a OOo/LibreOffice UI revamp is certainly needed, I don't remember people not getting their work done because of the sheer ugliness of their office software just a few years ago.

Most of those complaining about the OO.org/LO GUI - myself included - simply prefer the Ribbon UI as introduced with Office 2007 over the old-style UI. To me the ribbon UI is much more logical than the old menus and toolbars; YMMV.

Most of those complaining about the OO.org/LO GUI - myself included - simply prefer the Ribbon UI as introduced with Office 2007 over the old-style UI. To me the ribbon UI is much more logical than the old menus and toolbars; YMMV.

I know, I just meant that going by some comments it almost seems as if OO/LO had gone with some radically different, awkward and utterly ugly UI concept when all they have done is using what was the standard office UI until just five years ago (and current standard for plenty of current apps), which as much of an eyesore as it was, everyone was used to.

Pretty much what is happening is that more and more programs are tossing the drop down menus in favor of a more logical and cleaner look.

Windows Explorer, Microsoft Office, Windows Live, Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, etc. all have ditched menu bars. But truth be told, I pulled an fanboy here. I never realized how much I hated drop downs until Microsoft did away with them. I find my self annoyed to see many OSS programs including Notepad++, and Wireshark can't be bothered to focus on UI development, because, yes, UI development is important. You can't just throw up onto the screen and hope people will use it. It holds many programs back from shining.

I am one of those people where a UI can make or break an app. The only programs with menus I bother to use are Paint.Net, Wireshark, and Notepad++, but they are quite painful to use. Very painful.

The Ribbon in MS Office actually allowed me to utilize the program more, as it was able to bring forward features I never even knew it had.

I know, I just meant that going by some comments it almost seems as if OO/LO had gone with some radically different, awkward and utterly ugly UI concept when all they have done is using what was the standard office UI until just five years ago (and current standard for plenty of current apps), which as much of an eyesore as it was, everyone was used to.

five years is an eternity in the computer business ;). Not that i'm saying OO or libreoffice in this case doesn't do what is has doe quite well. But compared to the newer UI's I think it lacks a lot

five years is an eternity in the computer business ;). Not that i'm saying OO or libreoffice in this case doesn't do what is has doe quite well. But compared to the newer UI's I think it lacks a lot

Yep, but the lifespan of the previous office UI concept represents an even larger eternity in which people grew used to it (more so when it hasn't been totally deprecated for every software title).

If you have been messing with computers for longer than the last few years the ribbon UI still feels like a quite recent feature.

And yes, the "classic" UI sucks. It does now and it did from day one.

I don't get this thing about drop down menus, Office 2010 still has a bunch of drop down menus of multiple styles in it's main UI.

How would you replace the font drop down list?

I don't get this thing about drop down menus, Office 2010 still has a bunch of drop down menus of multiple styles in it's main UI.

How would you replace the font drop down list?

Not those drop downs. We're talking the menu bar itself, and those disorganized toolbars, which were replaced with the Ribbon. ;)

Obviously, not all drop downs will go away, but in terms of hiding features behind long lists of menus in a menu bar, yes, those need to go away. Object to change all you want, but it is a needed change, especially as computers become more interactive and personal.