World's Oldest Volcano To Wipe Out More Than 50% Of The US

I have the awful impression that the Y2K doomsday scare is back in full force for 2012. I am really wondering how many survival scams: survival trainings camps, survival backpacks and doomsday bunkers will appear in the near future.

As far as the Yellowstone caldera is concerned, it is constantly monitored by the USGS

From this page on USGS.gov

So, it is a geologically active region (like the entire west coast of the US by the way!) but there is no reasons to flee.

That's what they WANT you to think, so there is no panic. The government is covering it up! :crazy:

Now only if we could gather all the idiots in America in the one place.... maybe toss in the UK government as well!

They are already in one place, it's called America ;)

The majority of them are in a place called Washington, DC!

More like the whole world would be thrown in to chaos, that ash cloud wouldnt be limited to just the US, at some point it would cover most of the northern hemisphere, if not a large part of the south as well. IMO its nothing to worry about. If it does blow doubt its going to blow. Id rather be in its path then have to deal with the aftermath of it later.

Might as well end your life now then...

Bring it ON!!!

Challenge accepted? :rofl: :shifty:

Glassed Silver:win

I accept your challenge, and raise you a Eyjafjallajokull.

post-302244-0-55069100-1296097755.jpg

Powar of nature... ROAAAAARW!!!! :laugh:

Haha - well if the world is really gonna end next year, then how come Microsoft says that Win XP support ends in 2014? And Vista in 2017, then Win7 in 2020?

Logically - if the world is really gonna end next year, then MS would have Win XP, Vista and 7 all end support in 2012.

This is NOT something to be taken seriously. You can wave all the possibilities at my face all you want and I'd still not be convinced. Sorry, guys.

BBC made a very great documentary on this a few years back. Basically, they predicted that if the Yellowstone Caldera erupts, the volcanic ash would block out sun light around the world, cause temperatures to drop and plunge Earth into a volcanic winter. A lot of the US would sustain a large toll of damage and there will be severe weather disruptions around the world etc.

I know it sounds silly, but the threats proposed by the caldera is actually very, very real. Not that we should go and put on tin-foil hats and blabber about 2012, but it's no joke, either.

There's some info on the documentary here, and National Geographic also has quite in-depth material on it here.

A very good post. Thank you. We can laugh about it now but one day it won't be a laughing matter.

If it happens it happens

Nothing we can do about it

you can't win against Mother Nature

she always wins even if it takes awhile :|

Lol... Your post totally wins due to that emoticon! (Y) :D

Nice one.

And I second your statement.

Although one can try, and yes sometimes one succeeds in tricking Mother Nature...

That's what they WANT you to think, so there is no panic. The government is covering it up! :crazy:

Oh, **** it! Do not go into full conspiracy mode as soon as someone post an URL with ends in .gov.

In any case, AMPSV is right, there is no prevention with volcanos, if the yellowstone volcano becomes active and explodes, it is going to explode.

You can look up the Krakatoa volcano explosion for something really scary.

The Bush Doctrine covers everything. :D

Just his doctrine?

And: also animals?..... :shiftyninja:

Glassed Silver:lin

Now, I know nothing about volcanoes, BUT maybe we could use nukes in the ground and blow massive massive holes in the earth, and just drain the volcano! Or is that totally illogical? :huh:

Now, I know nothing about volcanoes, BUT maybe we could use nukes in the ground and blow massive massive holes in the earth, and just drain the volcano! Or is that totally illogical? :huh:

The US are sinking! :laugh:

Glassed Silver:lin

Oh, **** it! Do not go into full conspiracy mode as soon as someone post an URL with ends in .gov.

In any case, AMPSV is right, there is no prevention with volcanos, if the yellowstone volcano becomes active and explodes, it is going to explode.

Sarcastic thread is sarcastic ;)

Destroy that with two atomic bombs, it will wipe out the volcano forever.

Can you imagine what is going to happen to someone hammering on a pressure-cooker ?

The most dangerous part of the volcano is the magma chamber

A volcano is a magma chamber which is filled with molten rocks coming from the Earth mantle. The magma is under pressure and is blocked by the surronding rocks. When the pressure increases, the magma can fracture the rocks and expand: if it reaches the surface, you get a volcanic explosion

This is my pressure-cooker, except that it is a kilometer-sized pressurr-cooker and the pressure is much higher.

Sending nukes on it is like hammering on the lid, so this is going to make the lid more fragile and trigger the volcanic explosion ...

And that will be an even better volcanic explosion because it will spread all the radioactive material from the nukes along with the volcanic ashes ...

Sarcastic thread is sarcastic ;)

My sarcasm-o-meter has been definitively broken.

When you see some web-site like Food Insurance, you have to wonder what is going on in the mind of some people.

volcanoes and super volcanoes are two totally different categories.