• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#46 presence06

presence06

Neowinian Senior

• 3,608 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 (4.1.2)

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:17

You'll usually only get caught if you download from public sites pbay, ISOhunt, demonoid etc. use a private site and you'll be fine. :pirate:

WARNING, Possibly stupid:

I thought Demonoid was a "private" tracker? :unsure:

#47 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,905 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:24

People still use torrents? What am I saying, I still have to clean up frostwire viruses off people's computers.

I thought everyone in the know was using file hosting services these days though. Torrents will get you in trouble. :laugh:

#48 +Lovell

Lovell

,l,(-.-),l,

• 1,643 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:26

WARNING, Possibly stupid:

I thought Demonoid was a "private" tracker? I've been DMCA'd 2 times using that site. :unsure:

It used to be public then they made it private but there's so many users it might as well be public it's better if you find a smaller private site.

#49 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

• 2,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:26

Obviously, the studio behind the film thinks these people have expendable income......

:cool:

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

#50 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:27

topics merged

#51 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,691 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:31

never even heard of this movie

#52 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• 1,412 posts
  • Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:45

usenet, hotfile, filesonic (god I hate that one), fileserve, Oron, megaupload.

Although these solutions may seem safer, they are too slow and inefficient compared to torrent unless you are willing to pay for their service. Torrent will always be free. If someone is worried about tampered files or the risk of being tracked, there are plenty of closed private torrent sites you can register for and use peerblock to get clean files and reduce that risk.

Also, hotfile.com just got sued by the MPAA yesterday and it won't be long before other sites are targeted as well. I doubt they will have any downtime, but I would expect that they will might be forced to make it ever harder to host certain files that people use these alternatives for.

#53 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:49

Haha.

I can't believe I wasted money on watching this movie too.. it was awful.

the intent of the movie was to be cheesy/corny... i loved the movie b/c it was so bad. way over the top and filled with testosterone.

#54 Warbucks81

Warbucks81

Neowinian

• 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 19:56

Although these solutions may seem safer, they are too slow and inefficient compared to torrent unless you are willing to pay for their service. Torrent will always be free. If someone is worried about tampered files or the risk of being tracked, there are plenty of closed private torrent sites you can register for and use peerblock to get clean files and reduce that risk.

Also, hotfile.com just got sued by the MPAA yesterday and it won't be long before other sites are targeted as well. I doubt they will have any downtime, but I would expect that they will might be forced to make it ever harder to host certain files that people use these alternatives for.

Ha! $5-$10/month will get you a usenet provider account with 800+ days of retention and an encrypted connection. You'll max your connection speed as well.

Torrents are ass, plain and simple. It's a no brainer really.

#55 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• 2,596 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4 7.1.2 jb/ul

Posted 09 February 2011 - 20:04

People still use torrents? What am I saying, I still have to clean up frostwire viruses off people's computers.

I thought everyone in the know was using file hosting services these days though. Torrents will get you in trouble. :laugh:

the majority of people who use Frostwire and other apps like that are stupid, will download anything and are oblivious to consequences until it slows the download of a ****ty hip-hop song

#56 +GreenMartian

GreenMartian

Neowinian Senior

• 1,777 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 20:27

The problem I have with TorrentFreak is that it's always pro-piracy and constantly pointing out mistakes made by copyright laywers and RIAA...

You need two to play the game.

Just like we have Microsoft/Apple on one side of the spectrum, and Richard Stallman to bring the balance by being on the extreme other side. :)

#57 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 21:37

Usenet/newsgroup seems to be the way to go at the moment it seems esp with vpn connections but as soon as everyone turns to it (like they have done with rapidshare/hotfile) then it will be targeted.

Companies have tried in the past to target usenet, but it is far more difficult because you can only do something about the people posting (and even then, they must be posting from a news server and an ISP that both are willing to cooperate with the authorities). Not much has changed with usenet in the past couple of decades that would make it easier on companies to target it, and some things (such as VPNs and encrypted connections) actually make it harder. In short, companies have long since lost that battle, which is why they started focusing on P2P, file hosting sites, etc.

#58 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 09 February 2011 - 23:07

haven't heard of the expandables till now.

good publicity??????

#59 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 23:16

Great way to drive away customers and boost PR.. Keep up the work!

Yes, as a paying customer I am appalled that a movie company would sue people who steal their property.

#60 7Dash8

7Dash8

Veritas Aequitas

• 597 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:56

Expendables got a solid 6.7 on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320253/

Not a masterpiece, but hardly "crap".

Anyone who uses their brains is unlikely to think that a movie starring Stallone, Statham, Lundgren, Li, Couture etc. is going to be some sort of amazing revelation of a movie. I call bullsh*t on anyone who didn't know beforehand what they were getting with this movie.

So it all boils down to this: people pirated it because they could. Please don't fill this thread with other excuses, just say "I pirated it because I could".

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!