Next iPhone to feature larger screen

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20031933-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

On the heels of word that a smaller version of the iPhone is in the works, another report has emerged that has the fifth-generation smartphone will actually feature an expanded screen to take on Android devices' larger screens.

The new iPhone, which is expected to be released this summer, will feature a 4-inch screen and is already in testing, according to a Digitimes report that cited unnamed component suppliers.

The report of a larger screen is just one among many that have materialized in the past couple of days.

Bloomberg reported Friday that Apple was working on a new line of iPhones, one of which would be "cheaper and smaller than the most recent iPhone." That report, which cited a source who had seen a prototype, also pegged Google's mobile operating system as the intended target for the new device.

Why? It makes the whole phone bigger too... and heavier

Have you played with the HTC Evo 4G? It's gorgeous at that size.

Also, the latest rumor has it that the screen will be from one edge to the other to make a bigger screen fit. So it might not make the phone that much bigger.

Also, the latest rumor has it that the screen will be from one edge to the other to make a bigger screen fit. So it might not make the phone that much bigger.

IF Apple puts out a phone the same physical size of the iPhone 4 but with a edge to edge screen, I'm going to want to dump my iPhone 4 for it.

seriously...a release this summer? :no:

The iPhone always releases during the end of June/July. Not going to change that.

IF Apple puts out a phone the same physical size of the iPhone 4 but with a edge to edge screen, I'm going to want to dump my iPhone 4 for it.

Hopefully. These are just rumors from "trusted" sources on other websites like the WSJ.

Only a 4"? Noooo! I wanted at least a 4.3" or 4.5". :(

Anyways the bigger the better. :yes:

Why not take it a bit further and make it 5"?

Seriously though, Apple has always been about designing something that universally fits all and 4" is the sweet spot most people are comfortable with. Once you get to 4.5", it becomes to difficult to hold in your palm (for people with small hands) and is no longer as portable (feels too uncomfortable in your front pocket). So no, bigger is not always better.

Why not take it a bit further and make it 5"?

Seriously though, Apple has always been about designing something that universally fits all and 4" is the sweet spot most people are comfortable with. Once you get to 4.5", it becomes to difficult to hold in your palm (for people with small hands) and is no longer as portable (feels too uncomfortable in your front pocket). So no, bigger is not always better.

I agree here. I like the 3.5" screen but if it went 4" i would be ok with it, any bigger and I would hate it.

But if they plan on making it edge to edge screen, then thatll be even better because I dont mind use pinch to home gestures or etc.

I was actually interested when I saw the "use 4 fingers to switch open apps" gesture. That was pretty cool.

The iPhone always releases during the end of June/July. Not going to change that.

Why must they do this to us? It sucks for the people stuck on long term contracts like myself :angry:

Why must they do this to us? It sucks for the people stuck on long term contracts like myself :angry:

Not really, it actually works out perfect every 2 years.

For example, my dad got the 3g and I got the 3gs. 2 years from him getting the 3G he got the 4. Perfect upgrade. For me, the iPhone 5 will be 2 years from when I got my 3GS, which again is a perfect upgrade.

Apple has done it so if you were an adapter of the "3" or the "3gs" then after 2 years, you got a good upgrade. For anyone who upgraded from the 3gs to the 4, yes it was a good upgrade, but it doesn't compare to what an iPhone 4gs or in this case 5 would be like.

Just like anyone who went from a 3 to a 3GS, it wasn't THAT big of an improvement. But a 3G to a 4 was a big improvement. Apple makes it so you get a BIG improvement when you upgrade after 2 years. They don't force you to keep up with the latest and greatest, thats a personal choice. I myself have been fine with a 3GS for the last 2 years, even after using my dads 4 and loving it, I still was patient enough to just stick to my 3GS because i liked my 3GS. But if I had a 3G, i would of ditched it in a second to get a 4.

Not larger screen, thinner bezel please... The thick bezel on iPhone 4 is just plain ugly.

"...bezel, the rim which encompasses and fastens a jewel, watch crystal, lens or other object...

The front surround of a TV or VDU screen particularly in CRT screens

The removable plastic faceplate or front panel of a CD or DVD drive" - Wikipedia

When you say bezel, do mean the metal rim, or the black area around the screen?

these rumors seems to come around every year about this time. I will believe it when I see them officially announce it.

Quite frankly, when it comes to design rumors, they are pretty accurate as supplies tend to leak information months ahead of time.

The big talk about how Apple is considering an iphone "nano" of sorts to bridge the gap for lower end consumers makes this rumor easily confirmed by logic alone. If the current iphone 4 is 3.5", then I cannot imagine the nano looking like an ipod shuffle. So, naturally, they have to increase the size of the regular iPhone to get a set a decent size on the nano (probably credit card size).

Whether anyone will actually buy a smartphone that small is another question. IMO, I think they will scrap it as user experience will be difficult on a touchscreen that small as you probably will not even be able to type a text or email using full qwerty layout.

4 inches is perfect for any phone. I'm glad it's finally going to be standard. A lot of my friends who also own an iPhone all say they think 3.5 is perfect but no, 4 is perfect. Once you go from 3.5 to 4, there's really no going back.

I hope this isn't Apple's disinformation but it would make sense to make the screen bigger to make it more different from the upcoming iPhone Nano.

"...bezel, the rim which encompasses and fastens a jewel, watch crystal, lens or other object...

The front surround of a TV or VDU screen particularly in CRT screens

The removable plastic faceplate or front panel of a CD or DVD drive" - Wikipedia

When you say bezel, do mean the metal rim, or the black area around the screen?

Oh I am talking about the black area, Apple could certainly utilize some minimalism to increase the screen size while keeping the form factor the same.

Ugh, I hope not. The current iPhone screen size is perfect for portability.

****ing Android's fault. :laugh:

It's obvious that you don't need to change the size of the iPhone to put in half an inch more screen real estate. :wacko:

IMO any increment in physical size of the current iPhone will not be good for avg consumer. Apple have to take the decision of removing home botton in order to cram a 4" screen on iPhone.