Aero over RDP doesn't work.

I have a desktop computer running Windows 7 Professional, and a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Both have 4GB of System RAM and are Aero enabled.

When I use my laptop to connect to my desktop over RDP, regardless of the settings I configure it to, Aero will not enable!

In the Personalization section, I see "One or more of the themes have been disabled by Remote Desktop Connection settings."

My question is, what could be causing Aero to not function in this situation? What can be done to remedy this?

Thanks!

I knew all of that already, but I still don't understand why it's not working in my situation.

(Yes, everything was enabled under experience.)

My reaserch seems to indicate that for some reason, Windows 7 Professional doesn't support Aero over RDP. Is this true?

A little more insight please?

Thanks!

If you believe Wikipedia than no it can't be done

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison%5Fchart

You need Ultimate or Enterprise, which is what I found out somewhere else too. This kinda confirm it :(

I Have ultimate on my desktop and ultimate on my laptop and aero is always disabled over RDP as well. Pre and Post SP1

I Have ultimate on my desktop and ultimate on my laptop and aero is always disabled over RDP as well. Pre and Post SP1
You have 2 Aero-enabled computers but Microsoft won't let you have Aero over remote desktop. That's just silly. :wacko:

Can't comment on Professional, but having no problems with Aero via remote desktop on Ultimate. I have six computers that I deal with all the time remotely, all of which have Aero via Remote Desktop. (And the machines can't even run Aero locally.. 32MB cheaper-than-dirt-wasn't-state-of-the-art-even-in-1985 VGA cards I found somewhere.) Just need to make sure Desktop Composition is enabled in the Remote Desktop Client, along with 32 bit graphics. Not 100% positive, but think I read on MSDN somewhere that a remoting into a Pro desktop doesn't allow it.

Not 100% positive, but think I read on MSDN somewhere that a remoting into a Pro desktop doesn't allow it.

Teebor linked to a feature-comparison chart that said that. Which is exactly what I think is silly.

Have you tried disabling multi-monitor support for RDP? I think this stops Aero from working, a bug or something I think

Have you tried disabling multi-monitor support for RDP? I think this stops Aero from working, a bug or something I think

Can guarantee it's not multimonitor unless it's a driver issue. I have three displays running, and at times have three RDP sessions going, all with Aero. (SP0, haven't put SP1 on yet.)

I thought this only worked with RemoteFX via a Server 2008 box with SP1 installed?

Aero has worked since Remote Desktop 6.0 I think, back with Vista (Transparency, the DWM tricks, etc etc) RemoteFX brings some new goodies like 3D acceleration (Direct3D and some OpenGL), full motion video acceleration, and USB redirection. There's some videos floating around showing Crysis being run over RemoteFX for example, which RDP currently would just laugh at you for trying.

I haven't tried that, that may be my issue. I run two 24" LCD panels on my workstation. I'll also double check color depth, but honestly the aero over rdp never bothered me not working, but knowing it should i'll try and figure it out fully :)

Aero will work over RDP only if the host is running Vista/7 Ultimate/Enterprise. Also, Vista client to 7 host and 7 client to Vista host RDP doesn't enable Aero even if both are Ultimate. In blahism's case it *should* work. Make sure you are connecting with LAN speed on the Experience tab.

I've pretty much confirmed that if you're remote controlling a Windows 7 Professional computer, you won't be getting Aero. Now, it's time to scour the internet for file mods to allow it. :)

You need 7 ultimate or enterprise. RDP'ed right now into a 7 enterprise PC and aero is working fine. I'm not sure if YOUR desktop needs ultimate or enterprise, but the host PC does, otherwise no aero.

You don't need RemoteFX or SP1... the amount if misinformation in this thread is staggering. :rolleyes: