Sony Raids Hacker's Home; Hacker Shares All Known HV Info

These 'people' have wasted the many millions who bought the PS3's cash. So why shouldn't Sony do the same to them?

The PS3 has its own cash? Say what? They didn't waste any money, you still have your PS3, you can still play games and chances are that developers will continue to design games for the PS3. The amount of people willing to hack their consoles will be insubstantial, that's clear even from the iOS market. Sure, everyone could JB their iPhone and download games/apps illegally but clearly that hasn't affected the developing community (Recent statistics show that the appstore industry increased to over $2Billion in 2010, an increase of 131%). I do agree that hacker efforts to affect general online gaming is idiotic and as such Geohot and select others were asking for repercussions by drawing so much limelight but if it hadn't been them it would have been any one of countless others. Sony will undoubtedly figure how to keep hackers offline, just as MS has done with the 360.

Also there are plenty ways of punishing people without them crawling around begging...it's confusing that you'd even want to see someone begging for food at all :blink:

i think the point is that the old model of a closed system needs to end, and PC-like punkbuster-style things need to arrive on consoles ... vote kicking for every single player, user admins who can report offending users and consoles and help Sony catch the hackers and cheaters, and other things which are specific to the current situation...

Well, at least my tax dollars aren’t being spent on this ridiculousness.

So, steamworks on PS3 may bring VAC on ps3

That’s the hope. Valve has said something to the affect that the hacking going on on the PS3 won’t affect Portal 2.

Sony fanboys are doing my head in, when people hacked the Xbox 360 (Btw, I own a PS3 console), there wasn't all this crap. The two things hackers have shown is how shallow Sony are and how insecure their online service is.

the community that now has the tools to bring the PS3 to a grinding halt and pretty much ruin its future.

Which benefits no one, not Sony, not the hackers, not the end users. Enjoy playing on playstation when no body can be bothered to invest it anymore just so "hackers" can "Stick to the man"

Haven't they learned anything? You don't sue hackers .. you ****ING HIRE THEM!!!!

this is why i call them crackers rather than hackers cause they are of the same blood as those fellas who crack software like operating systems and packages like office and adobe CS not hackers like you get at defcon.

I'm sure sony would have liked to hire them, if they actually had ethics and didn't try to already ruin the company over. But when you release everything out for anyone to do whatever to them, I don't think they will be opening the door and offering you a comfy seat any time soon.

And Sony hasn't shot anyone in the foot. The crackers have... ok, I can't use the word crackers, sounds like I'm referring to some inbred white person lol. Sony is trying to save their business and the customers purchase and secure their product. The CHackers? :p have seen it though that everyone suffers, from big business to consumer. Ya, well played.

I'm sure sony would have liked to hire them, if they actually had ethics and didn't try to already ruin the company over. But when you release everything out for anyone to do whatever to them, I don't think they will be opening the door and offering you a comfy seat any time soon.

And Sony hasn't shot anyone in the foot. The crackers have... ok, I can't use the word crackers, sounds like I'm referring to some inbred white person lol. Sony is trying to save their business and the customers purchase and secure their product. The CHackers? :p have seen it though that everyone suffers, from big business to consumer. Ya, well played.

Yeah, but hiring a couple hacker's keeps them off the "streets,' and in Sony's pocket, and paying them to work would probably save them more money than the collateral of them being outside the system, and ruining Sony's software.

is this real? it seems like a joke...

Sony raids the guys home? i dont think that's legal...

"Graf_chokolo, who has contributed countless things to the PS3 scene" - yes, "countless things" :rolleyes:

"They went to his house to grab all his accounts and stuff" :blink:

Sony is ****ed. Every time they prosecute a hacker, they pull an Anonymous and Robin Hood all their

secrets to the world. And you know the old saying: "Once it's on the Internet, it's there forever".

Sony can't arrest the entire world, and you know there's always some up-and-comer waiting to make

a name for himself.

As a system, the PS3 is pretty much screwed now, because of the fact that hackers can access everything at this point. As there is no anti-cheat system enabled for online games, there really isn't any point playing on PSN now.

That's why I didn't keep my preorder for Bulletstorm that and I got live for 40 bux :D

Half of zero is still zero. You can sue me for 10 Million dollars, don't think you will get it though. I honestly do not think these guys are wealthy individuals. All Sony has done is angered the community, the community that now has the tools to bring the PS3 to a grinding halt and pretty much ruin its future.

Let's see.

Sony has a community of tens of millions of gamers who want to play games and not worry about hackers and, don't have any interest in running a useless linux on their PS3. Sony is tryign to protect these guys and give them a safe gamign enviroment where they don't have to worry about cheating. or people disablign their consoles

The hackers, are bringing cheapskates who don't pay for their games to the scene, people who can disable other people's consoles, and most improtantly they bring cheating.

now who do you think this 40+ millions of gamers dislike the most, Sony or the hackers....

All I can say is the we can bet that Sony will not be including OtherOS in the PS4.

Thanks hackers!

It was Sony's fault for locking out GNU/Linux to begin with, thats what prompted the 'surge' of hackers that ramped up exploits of their own in order to unlock full access to the system.

Let's see.

Sony has a community of tens of millions of gamers who want to play games and not worry about hackers and, don't have any interest in running a useless linux on their PS3. Sony is tryign to protect these guys and give them a safe gamign enviroment where they don't have to worry about cheating. or people disablign their consoles

The hackers, are bringing cheapskates who don't pay for their games to the scene, people who can disable other people's consoles, and most improtantly they bring cheating.

now who do you think this 40+ millions of gamers dislike the most, Sony or the hackers....

The onus is on the part of Sony, not the hackers, to provide a safe and controlled experience.

The only idiots here are Sony, as always. Let's just say, there is a lot to say for a PAID online network like the one on Xbox. You will never find this garbage there. Microsoft ensures that any cheaters / hackers / pirates have their consoles rendered useless AS IT SHOULD BE, not just their online profile that people can easily re-create....Sony's "FREE" PSN was a disaster from day one. Because it is a FREE service, it takes them years to bring out new features.....Remember how long it took them to come out with achievements and many other basic but necessary features? Now Sony bitches when people hack when it is their OWN fault for creating such a vulnerable system....way to go, Sony, for further emphasizing how much of a failure you are!

omg...

There's no facepalm great enough...

Microsoft preserves it's environment, so does Apple. Even if both are hacked to enable piracy. Sony was overly arrogant in claiming it's console was unhackable, now their system is completely compromised, even their PSN service! No fail-safe was created. Now they're running around with their hair on fire, suing everyone and losing millions on frivolous lawsuits.

What? People have been playing pirated games using hacked DVD drives on the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live for years now. The PS3 only recent got hacked.

A Big confusion here is that the PS3 has been completely compromised, as opposed to the 360 being modded. The PS3 can now run custom apps, custom firmwares, emulators, and of course pirated games. The 360 merely had the optical drive firmware hacked so that it can play burned games. There are also hacks for both consoles where you modify saved data on the hard drive as well (how most COD hacks work). Since the PS3 has been completely compromised the security on the system, whenever Sony releases a new firmware you can bet the hackers will have a version of that firmware out in probably less than a week.

No one is ever going to give a **** who these guys are in 100 years.

Also. Your car analogy fails. No one said you couldn't change the insides of the PS3. You can put ****ing gold fish inside your PS3 if you want.

Well, apparently Sony have said you can't change the iinside of your PS3, which is what these hacks do, so you're wrong there.

Well, apparently Sony have said you can't change the iinside of your PS3, which is what these hacks do, so you're wrong there.

but does what they say actually matter?

like, the software is theirs while the hardware is yours, and anything you do to anything other than your own ps3 (other people's consoles, the playstation network, etc) involving hacking the software should not be allowed, but if nobody else sees what you are doing, it doesnt matter

i think the only way forward is to treat the PS3 as the open system that it now is, and , if the argument that "Sony has a community of tens of millions of gamers who want to play games and not worry about hackers and, don't have any interest in running a useless linux on their PS3." is true, the gamers themselves will be against hackers ruining their games and will happily take the reins of administrative stuff like blocking and adding users and consoles to blacklists, etc....

^ That will never ever work. The ONLY way forward from all this for Sony is to reengineer their security system for the online play. Build in something along the lines of VAC and actively monitor and ban anyone caught cheating.

They cannot stop people modding their consoles. They have no legal right to do this. They CAN, however, stop modified consoles from accessing their online service, and DO have every legal right to prevent that. It's exactly what Microsoft do, and Sony are going to have to do the same.

Build in something along the lines of VAC and actively monitor and ban anyone caught cheating.

yeah thats what i meant, they have to start treating the PS3 abit like the PC now

but with added features that people in classic pc multiplayer games take for granted, like kickvoting and stuff... it allows the community to be alot more responsive to the cheaters, and makes cheating alot less worth it