Sony Raids Hacker's Home; Hacker Shares All Known HV Info

It was Sony's fault for locking out GNU/Linux to begin with, thats what prompted the 'surge' of hackers that ramped up exploits of their own in order to unlock full access to the system.

Yeah, it's cause and effect. Sony locks out something that hackers and other computer-smart people want, hackers open it up for everyone anyway. The only way sony could stop it would be to unlock it again.

What do these guys (Geohot) expect when they parade around the internet like it's the front cover of a teen magazine?

You make threats, publicly publish sensitive information that's a major security threat and inflate your ego sky high whilst poking a bear with a stick, it's going to lash back, hard.

I have absolutely no sympathy at all, and the idea of even thinking about donating my hard earned money to these clowns is laughable.

At the end of the day are potential fines, jail time and carrying these court cases/charges on your record for your entire life really worth a little internet fame? People even suggesting Sony hire these fools is laughable, what trust could any company put in them? I don't just mean trust in the companies security, trust that they'll act like civil, responsible and mature employees.

They will destroy his life as they will finish off Geohot - and they both deserve it.

Hopefully Sony will sue and drain these guys to the point where they have barely enough money to eat and have to beg on the street.

You're a terrible human being.

Let's see.

Sony has a community of tens of millions of gamers who want to play games and not worry about hackers and, don't have any interest in running a useless linux on their PS3. Sony is tryign to protect these guys and give them a safe gamign enviroment where they don't have to worry about cheating. or people disablign their consoles

The hackers, are bringing cheapskates who don't pay for their games to the scene, people who can disable other people's consoles, and most improtantly they bring cheating.

now who do you think this 40+ millions of gamers dislike the most, Sony or the hackers....

Like I say, Sony are to blame as much as the hackers for the sub standard job they did securing the PS3

And in all honesty, I appreciate that other OS may seem like a niche feature to some, but if Sony hadn't disabled that feature, then the chances are the s*** wouldn't have hit the fan in the way that it has. So although the hackers are partly responsible, Sony cannot come out of this without sharing a portion of the blame, because ultimately people try and hack everything these days, and knowing this a company should do a FAR better job of securing their systems.

Fact is, the exploits are out there, and Sony are never going to stop them, so aggressively suing the hackers will achieve nothing whatsoever, except to encourage even more hackers to fill the void. Sony need to deal with this issue in a more common sense way, like Microsoft have done with xbox hacking.

The onus is on the part of Sony, not the hackers, to provide a safe and controlled experience.

What an insane comment.

When your house gets robbed, do you blame the police for not preventing it or do you blame the burglers who took your stuff?

Like I say, Sony are to blame as much as the hackers for the sub standard job they did securing the PS3

And in all honesty, I appreciate that other OS may seem like a niche feature to some, but if Sony hadn't disabled that feature, then the chances are the s*** wouldn't have hit the fan in the way that it has. So although the hackers are partly responsible, Sony cannot come out of this without sharing a portion of the blame, because ultimately people try and hack everything these days, and knowing this a company should do a FAR better job of securing their systems.

Fact is, the exploits are out there, and Sony are never going to stop them, so aggressively suing the hackers will achieve nothing whatsoever, except to encourage even more hackers to fill the void. Sony need to deal with this issue in a more common sense way, like Microsoft have done with xbox hacking.

They did a great job of making it secure, it was a human that decided it would be cool to steal a jig key and that's how it all started. The hackers really had no hope till that happened.

It's been unhacked for years till that happened, in my eyes that's a pretty secure machine.

Yeah...let's blame Sony for not securing the PS3...

Let's also blame people that get shot for not wearing a bulletproof vest.

BTW, considering games get hacked within hours of going gold, the fact that the PS3 was secure for 4 years is damn impressive.

Both the Wii and the Xbox360 were hacked within a year of release (if not less). Heck, the entire Wii can be emulated on a computer now.

What do these guys (Geohot) expect when they parade around the internet like it's the front cover of a teen magazine?

You make threats, publicly publish sensitive information that's a major security threat and inflate your ego sky high whilst poking a bear with a stick, it's going to lash back, hard.

I have absolutely no sympathy at all, and the idea of even thinking about donating my hard earned money to these clowns is laughable.

At the end of the day are potential fines, jail time and carrying these court cases/charges on your record for your entire life really worth a little internet fame? People even suggesting Sony hire these fools is laughable, what trust could any company put in them? I don't just mean trust in the companies security, trust that they'll act like civil, responsible and mature employees.

Didn't you mod your 360? Why are you any better than Gehot and others then?

They will destroy his life as they will finish off Geohot - and they both deserve it.

Hopefully Sony will sue and drain these guys to the point where they have barely enough money to eat and have to beg on the street.

I hope that Sony goes down. They are a ****ty company, with no business ethics. Such as removing Linux support from their playstations because it is a "security" issue, even though that wasn't why [and it was an advertised feature]. Also when they were installing root-kits on PC's to prevent copying of music CD's. Yah thats a great company, good side to choose :rolleyes:

And if the police raided my house, because I was hacking, there would be a firefight. Protect my property. :cool:

What an insane comment.

When your house gets robbed, do you blame the police for not preventing it or do you blame the burglers who took your stuff?

If I'm home, I'm going to break a few arms of the burglers. And I'm going to blame myself for not having my house secure enough. And I'm going to try to track down the burglers and beat the crap out of them. ;)

I hope that Sony goes down. They are a ****ty company, with no business ethics. Such as removing Linux support from their playstations because it is a "security" issue, even though that wasn't why [and it was an advertised feature]. Also when they were installing root-kits on PC's to prevent copying of music CD's. Yah thats a great company, good side to choose :rolleyes:

And if the police raided my house, because I was hacking, there would be a firefight. Protect my property. :cool:

Ironic you talk about protecting your property while bashing Sony for protecting theirs.

Ironic you talk about protecting your property while bashing Sony for protecting theirs.

The property of the hackers that they took is not Sony's, nor is the Playstation 3 that the consumer bought. Playstation network is Sony's property, and all accounts on it, however I can do whatever I want with my own PS3 (except I had an XBox, not a PS3 :p)

Wow, Sony fans are so defensive, maybe if you paid for PSN sony would be bothered to make it more secure. :laugh:

This whole security thing is crap. You know nothing. The PS3 and the network took YEARS for hacks to come out. Xbox hacking was going on from damn near release.

This is nothing to do with it. It's a moral issue. Don't like something, don't buy it. Don't hack it and ruin it for everyone else. These hacks are being sued for a good reason and I hope they suffer stress that puts them in a very bad place.

This whole security thing is crap. You know nothing. The PS3 and the network took YEARS for hacks to come out. Xbox hacking was going on from damn near release.

This is nothing to do with it. It's a moral issue. Don't like something, don't buy it. Don't hack it and ruin it for everyone else. These hacks are being sued for a good reason and I hope they suffer stress that puts them in a very bad place.

Whats the good reason for the hacks being sued?

The property of the hackers that they took is not Sony's, nor is the Playstation 3 that the consumer bought. Playstation network is Sony's property, and all accounts on it, however I can do whatever I want with my own PS3 (except I had an XBox, not a PS3 :p)

Yeah do whatever you want with your PS3. Go paint it with neon lights. Upgrade the fan. Throw it off a cliff.

But, you don't own the software on the PS3.

Yeah do whatever you want with your PS3. Go paint it with neon lights. Upgrade the fan. Throw it off a cliff.

But, you don't own the software on the PS3.

I own the software on MY PS3. {As stated before I have an xbox, but I don't recommending adding neon lights, it didn't turn out so well).

I own the software on MY PS3. {As stated before I have an xbox, but I don't recommending adding neon lights, it didn't turn out so well).

Ha, no you don't. You license it.

You don't own it anymore than someone who leases a car owns the car.

Ha, no you don't. You license it.

You don't own it anymore than someone who leases a car owns the car.

:pinch:

Okay well for the sake of that, then Sony had no right to install rootkits onto users computers. They did not own the computers, the data, nor the software contained on it, nor did they ask for permission to install the software. So Sony is no better than a rogue hacker. End case.

Let's see.

Sony has a community of tens of millions of gamers who want to play games and not worry about hackers and, don't have any interest in running a useless linux on their PS3. Sony is tryign to protect these guys and give them a safe gamign enviroment where they don't have to worry about cheating. or people disablign their consoles

The hackers, are bringing cheapskates who don't pay for their games to the scene, people who can disable other people's consoles, and most improtantly they bring cheating.

now who do you think this 40+ millions of gamers dislike the most, Sony or the hackers....

I do not disagree with you. My point is, 3 weeks ago, no-one ever heard of these guys or the homebrew community. Now, it is on every news cast, media outlet, everywhere. Before, you would have only had to deal with a hand full of people hacking the PS3 and of those only a small amount being jerks. Now, Jim Bob up the street and his buddies will Google hacking the PS3, download some kiddie tools and make it miserable for everyone. If Sony would have just went the route Microsoft did, then the damage would have been minimal, but they decided to do this and now everyone will be involved. Just because they hate the man taking on the little guy.

:pinch:

Okay well for the sake of that, then Sony had no right to install rootkits onto users computers. They did not own the computers, the data, nor the software contained on it, nor did they ask for permission to install the software. So Sony is no better than a rogue hacker. End case.

Why are you bringing up the rootkit issue?

1. That is a legititmate blackeye on Sony, but the people responsbile for that have nothing to do with the PS3. That was Sony BMG which, at the time, was a joint venture between Sony and Bertelsmann AG.

2. Sony BMG got sued over the rootkit. So, doesn't it make sense that Sony sue the PS3 hackers?

3. What are you trying to say? Two wrongs make a right? Sony BMG installed rootkits so now people who own PS3 games should have to suffer hackers and cheaters?

At the end of the day, the people hurt most by hackers are Sony and the consumer. These hackers claim they are fighting to protect the consumer, but ask anyone that has had to suffer playing Black Ops against cheaters, they sure seem like they did more harm than good.

Why are you bringing up the rootkit issue?

1. That is a legititmate blackeye on Sony, but the people responsbile for that have nothing to do with the PS3. That was Sony BMG which, at the time, was a joint venture between Sony and Bertelsmann AG.

2. Sony BMG got sued over the rootkit. So, doesn't it make sense that Sony sue the PS3 hackers?

3. What are you trying to say? Two wrongs make a right? Sony BMG installed rootkits so now people who own PS3 games should have to suffer hackers and cheaters?

At the end of the day, the people hurt most by hackers are Sony and the consumer. These hackers claim they are fighting to protect the consumer, but ask anyone that has had to suffer playing Black Ops against cheaters, they sure seem like they did more harm than good.

What I am saying is Sony is bad for both the consumer and the hacker, not the hacker is bad for both the consumer and Sony. The hacker (the real ones, such as GeoHot) is good for the consumer. Not every hacker is hacking Black Ops.

In matter of fact that is the only game I ever hear people complaining about being hacked, and the only people to blame is the consumer (the little kids that say oh this is cool I'm going to pwn some n00bz) for the black ops being hacked (and yes the hacker who hacked that game). But the ones allowing you to use YOUR OWN hardware the way you want, should not be though of as evil do-ers.

I don't hear people whining about iPhones being jailbroken, but apparently gaming consoles its a big "no-no" to do it to.

And to clarify a cheater is not a hacker. People need to learn, that the hackers aren't out there trying to ruin your gaming experience, it is the cheaters, and the punks that do it. So make sure to blame the right people. (Yes, the hackers enabled the options, but are there 10,000 hackers out there right now ruining your game of blackops by cheating. No, because cheaters don't have the brains and the scientific mindset to hack).

Edit: My solution: Offer those two hackers a job at Sony, so they can add ideas that would make the PS3 more awesome. They probably wouldn't take the job though, but I do like Microsoft's response to hackers.

What I am saying is Sony is bad for both the consumer and the hacker, not the hacker is bad for both the consumer and Sony. The hacker (the real ones, such as GeoHot) is good for the consumer. Not every hacker is hacking Black Ops.

In matter of fact that is the only game I ever hear people complaining about being hacked, and the only people to blame is the consumer (the little kids that say oh this is cool I'm going to pwn some n00bz) for the black ops being hacked (and yes the hacker who hacked that game). But the ones allowing you to use YOUR OWN hardware the way you want, should not be though of as evil do-ers.

I don't hear people whining about iPhones being jailbroken, but apparently gaming consoles its a big "no-no" to do it to.

And to clarify a cheater is not a hacker. People need to learn, that the hackers aren't out there trying to ruin your gaming experience, it is the cheaters, and the punks that do it. So make sure to blame the right people. (Yes, the hackers enabled the options, but are there 10,000 hackers out there right now ruining your game of blackops by cheating. No, because cheaters don't have the brains and the scientific mindset to hack).

Edit: My solution: Offer those two hackers a job at Sony, so they can add ideas that would make the PS3 more awesome. They probably wouldn't take the job though, but I do like Microsoft's response to hackers.

There's a difference between giving a hacker a job, and giving a media whoring loud mouth who can do some hacking a job.

Not every hacker is the same, so why are we all treating them the same? Eg, making them into godly saints just because most of us on a forum can't do what they can. I can't do what a lot of people can, doesn't mean I'm going to/everyone else who can't do the same thing go nuts and be head over heels in love with them.

What good did Geohot bring to the consumer, again?

Install Linux? What percent of PS3 users do that?

Install homebrew? What percent of PS3 users do that?

What good did Geohot bring to the consumer, again?

Install Linux? What percent of PS3 users do that?

Install homebrew? What percent of PS3 users do that?

Right

And did HE hack Black Ops?

Well lets see. The consumer, meaning all consumers, since you weren't specific to the PS3 consumers:

iPhone Jailbreaks/unlocks allowing you a world of apps and features that Apple would never have approved because they want complete control of your device.

What percent of iPhones are jailbroken? Apparently only 6.7 percent of people in 2009, due to a poll conducted by the NY Times.

So take a guess at what percent of PS3's are modded by GeoHot's PS3 jailbreak?

Freaking narcs what kicks does Sony get sending in people to look at peoples replies? No he doesnt deserve that, you are really retarted all of this for a game console?

It's a piece of hardware I paid $300 for and can't enjoy online because these kids decided they wanted to flex their e-penises and show off. I hope Sony takes everything from them now and for years to come.

Right

And did HE hack Black Ops?

Well lets see. The consumer, meaning all consumers, since you weren't specific to the PS3 consumers:

iPhone Jailbreaks/unlocks allowing you a world of apps and features that Apple would never have approved because they want complete control of your device.

What percent of iPhones are jailbroken? Apparently only 6.7 percent of people in 2009, due to a poll conducted by the NY Times.

So take a guess at what percent of PS3's are modded by GeoHot's PS3 jailbreak?

The harm from hacking the PS3: cheaters affecting thousands.

The benefit from hacking the PS3: a few people get to install Linux on their PS3.

Yeah, looks like the consumer made out like a bandit here.