Windows 7 SP1 Fatal Error C000034

My fiance is installing Windows 7 SP1 and now Windows won't boot. When installing the update during windows startup it says "Fatal Error C0000034". I tried using startup repair but windows startup repair couldn't fix the issue, and there are no restore points to go back to. Freezes while trying to boot into Safe Mode. 'Last Known Good Configuration' tries to install SP1 as well and fails. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I've seen people posting on other forums about this issue but so far there doesn't seem to be a fix.

I got the same error. Luckily my system restore worked, although it took about an hour.

Going to see if there is a fix before attempting to reinstall the service pack.

Have you not got any back ups to restore to?

I got the same error. Luckily my system restore worked, although it took about an hour.

Going to see if there is a fix before attempting to reinstall the service pack.

Have you not got any back ups to restore to?

Unfortunately no backups to restore to. :( It's not my computer, and my fiance doesn't back up his comp with system restore or anything. ...Yeah, I know. :pinch:

SP1 was mainly a collection of previous updates, and security and stability fixes. If it's causing problems, in my opinion there was already something wrong. It's safe to apply, providing you have system restore turned on, and make backups of your data (which you should do anyway). It's a service pack, they can't account for every tweak, program, or malware that exists.

I installed SP1 worked fine, not noticing any of the improvements speed wise people swear they are seeing (not that I expected any). However installed via windows updates, did its thing, rebooted once, finished the install and is work as well as it was 48 hour prior to the install.

Im surprised at how many people are experiencing issues with it.

So it's installing but it fails halfway?

You can confirm if it is installed and registered already by running this command in cmd:

systeminfo | find "976932"

If the update is instaleld its KB number will show up.

If it does, you can try to uninstall it by running this command:

wusas /uninstall /kb:976932

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing all kinds of serious issues with SP1, I'm going to hold off on installing it myself.

Im a computer tech and have installed SP1 on around 20 computers, have not run into a problem yet

Im a computer tech and have installed SP1 on around 20 computers, have not run into a problem yet

U lucky , Im a computer tech too and I got this error in a lot of PC

Liana:

First things first. Before trying to do much more with the failed update, try backing up the data that your finance needs. See here on some idea on how to accomplish the feat:

Retrieve data

Disregard the Vista part as it will work with Windows 7 also. Save the data you find to a flash drive, external hard drive or CD/DVD. You may end up reinstalling the OS.

I would have to assume the computer has a restore partition ( if it is a commercially produced) or there is a Windows 7 disk ( if it is a custom ). My instance of the SP1 caused an unstable system, but there was other problems involved and I reinstalled the OS with the SP1 integrated. That solved the problem.

It not a Virus so don't worry about that, It's just an SP1 bug.

I found a fix which has worked on 3 machines that broke with that error here at work. (some have installed with no issues though)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/1c9a7151-b48c-4a98-aae7-a4b82682ea8e/#bcabda57-7338-499f-aee2-d708e76df315

I'd advise turning word wrap on when you open the XML file (its huge) also you PC will looks like its crashed at point and take ages to do anything....keep with it it eventually gets there (one of mine took several mins just to open the XML file in notepad).

Alos note when you restart it'll try and install updates, fail, roll them back, then give you a warning that the install failed, just click OK and you might need a few reboots in there but you'll get back to the logon screen eventually.

Installed SP1 on all 8 of my machines. No issues what so ever and didn't notice any speed increase on any machines, as other have stated either.

I have 2 Professionals, 1 Enterprise, and 5 Ultimates. All 32 bit and installed through Windows Update site. One thing I may have done differently than most people is installed the SP all by itself.

Installed SP1 on all 8 of my machines. No issues what so ever and didn't notice any speed increase on any machines, as other have stated either.

I have 2 Professionals, 1 Enterprise, and 5 Ultimates. All 32 bit and installed through Windows Update site. One thing I may have done differently than most people is installed the SP all by itself.

From what I've read that can be the issue, or rather installing it from Windows Updates rather than as a download from the MS website can cause it.

But the fix in my previous post has fixed it for all our machines and most people on that site.

I actually got like 20+ calls about this problem. I myself have no problems so far though I have downloaded it first day it came out but since yesterday people started having the problem. The fix that is giving in above post is really helpful and fixes it. :)

I'm with the majority that have had no problems with installing SP1 - hell, I have had it since the day it leaked (January 16th - and don't prod me about it).