Maxthon 3 - What do you guys think?

Hey look, a new thread that doesn't involve Chrome-Firefix-IE-or Opera! Wow!

Anyways, I'm actually running Maxthon 3 right now, it's running fairly smooth and barely uses any resources compared to Firefox and Chrome. Another reason right now that I am loving it is the ability to switch between Webkit and Trident, it loads one or the other basing it off what the website is optimized for (since some websites are still built just for Trident!)

Anways, wanted to see if anyone else used this, or what you guys think of the newest version. I'm actually running it with a new skin that makes it look nearly exactly like Chrome (removes the default avatar from the top left, tabs are like Chromes, etc. I can take a picture if you wanna see an example of mine but here is a pic of the latest version:

Maxthon3_01.png

It has a built in pop-up blocker and ad-hunter. Has mouse gestures built in. So far it's been stable, no crashes, takes some time to getting used a few things but other than that pretty big improvement over Maxthon 2.

You can get it over at: http://maxthon.com/

Thoughts? Opinions? Anything?

Anyways, I'm actually running Maxthon 3 right now, it's running fairly smooth and barely uses any resources compared to Firefox and Chrome. Another reason right now that I am loving it is the ability to switch between Webkit and Trident, it loads one or the other basing it off what the website is optimized for (since some websites are still built just for Trident!)

Anways, wanted to see if anyone else used this, or what you guys think of the newest version. I'm actually running it with a new skin that makes it look nearly exactly like Chrome (removes the default avatar from the top left, tabs are like Chromes, etc. I can take a picture if you wanna see an example of mine but here is a pic of the latest version:

Maxthon3_01.png

It has a built in pop-up blocker and ad-hunter. Has mouse gestures built in. So far it's been stable, no crashes, takes some time to getting used a few things but other than that pretty big improvement over Maxthon 2.

I'd try it, but i can't get the site to load

This is just a front for IE's rendering engine, right?

I used it way back in the day and it was pretty decent - lightweight, snappy etc just like IE was(!) - but just love Chrome now. Would like to see your Chrome themed verion though.

I used to use it in place of IE, but since switching to Firefox, I haven't tried it. I thought about checking it out again with the newest version.

157221445.png

That's what my Maxthon looks like, yes it used to be running just the Trident rendering engine, now it uses Webkit AND Trident and uses Google's V8 javascript engine.

I used it way back in the day and it was pretty decent - lightweight, snappy etc just like IE was(!) - but just love Chrome now. Would like to see your Chrome themed verion though.

No, it also uses Webkit, WebKit powers Google Chrome and Apple's Safari. Trident is used in a host of applications as well. Some of these...Bento Browser, Avant Browser, Skype, a VoIP software renders HTML data with Trident, and Enigma, a web browser amongst others!

Maxthon is massive in China, it has been downloaded somewhere in the region of 500 million times worldwide!

Try IE 9 and then say IE isn't snappy.

maxthon used to crash quite a bit. Nothing beats Google Chrome in speed, performance and reliability. I had never seen Chrome crash.

maxthon used to crash quite a bit. Nothing beats Google Chrome in speed, performance and reliability. I had never seen Chrome crash.

I love Chrome, and I've had it crash a few times though. No crashes with Maxthon 3 yet, and renders nearly as fast (if not as fast) as Chrome 95% of the time.

Heh, you've never used the dev builds then :p. I'll admit, there's only been a couple dev builds that have been unstable.

Sorry to say this but IE9 beats Chrome in Speed, Performance, Reliability and security.

Sorry to say this but IE9 beats Chrome in Speed, Performance, Reliability and security.

O.o uh... what?

Chrome is faster in every test.

It's more secure via sandboxing security.

Performs just as good as IE9, if not better, since it's snappier and far more responsive than even IE9.

It's realiable... all browsers are reliable, at least all the currently released ones (FF 3.6, IE 9, Chrome, Opera, Maxthon3)

Lay off the drugs man, or do some research before you post that fud.

My skin for it is: CHROME for MAXTHON 3

Also; my skin for Windows 7 is a metro style called Static. :p

Cool, thanks! I might have to check out that win7 theme. I haven't installed a VS since Windows XP days (ah how much I miss reluna). Gotta learn how to get VSs installed with Windows 7 now.

I agree. However, they will point out that Maxthon 3 supports either trident or webkit for rendering.

Which is fact. :)

But in all honesty, this is a nifty pretty smooth running browser that has taken a nice step into turning itself around from nothing, to something that feels a lot better than FF4 imo. It even supports add-ons, but they're all outdated for Maxthon 2.X for right now.

O.o uh... what?

Chrome is faster in every test.

It's more secure via sandboxing security.

Performs just as good as IE9, if not better, since it's snappier and far more responsive than even IE9.

It's realiable... all browsers are reliable, at least all the currently released ones (FF 3.6, IE 9, Chrome, Opera, Maxthon3)

IE was the first to use sandboxing technology.

Performance is debateable.

IE and Chrome are the most reliable browsers.

IE was the first to use sandboxing technology.

Performance is debateable.

IE and Chrome are the most reliable browsers.

Can you post any proof of IE using sandboxing technology? ;)

The only test that IE9 outperforms Chrome on is HA. Chrome's V8 Javascript engine runs faster, same with Webkit. Prove to me how IE9 is performing better against Chrome, or even Firefox for that matter.

And yes both are the most reliable, yet your previous post you tried to make it seem like IE9 is better in all aspects, which, in reality it is not. I'm not spreading FUD around, you are. You came into this topic, which is about MAXTHON, and tossed in your two-cents that was completely off-topic, and failed to even post any factual statements.

Forgot to mention they do have Add-Ons; or did I mention that? Either way, the add-ons are prepard for 3.0 just yet, apparently all features that were in Maxthon 2.X will be put in 3.X in a future release as they work out all the bugs first, from what I hear they're also looking for ambassadors from different countries to help out. :) So let's discuss this browser, what do you like or dislike about it? And let's stay on topic this time.

Can you post any proof of IE using sandboxing technology? ;)

The only test that IE9 outperforms Chrome on is HA. Chrome's V8 Javascript engine runs faster, same with Webkit. Prove to me how IE9 is performing better against Chrome, or even Firefox for that matter.

And yes both are the most reliable, yet your previous post you tried to make it seem like IE9 is better in all aspects, which, in reality it is not. I'm not spreading FUD around, you are. You came into this topic, which is about MAXTHON, and tossed in your two-cents that was completely off-topic, and failed to even post any factual statements.

Protected Mode (available in Windows Vista only), whereby the browser runs in a sandbox with even lower rights than a limited user account. As such, it can only write to the Temporary Internet Files folder and cannot install start-up programs or change any configuration of the operating system without communicating through a broker process. IE7 Protected Mode relies on the User Account Control technology.

That's funny, because I'm working on a computer that BSODs when I try to go to a website with Chrome.

Protected Mode (available in Windows Vista only), whereby the browser runs in a sandbox with even lower rights than a limited user account. As such, it can only write to the Temporary Internet Files folder and cannot install start-up programs or change any configuration of the operating system without communicating through a broker process. IE7 Protected Mode relies on the User Account Control technology.

IE8 came out March 19th, 2009. Google Chrome came out September 2nd, 2008. See where I am going to this? IE8, was in test for several months with said features, Google was testing it for several months with sandboxing being around since v1. Again, do your research. Chrome had it first. So... you were right they do have it in there, but you were wrong to think IE had it first.

After seeing this thread I've downloaded Maxthon 3 to see how I find it. I'm quite impressed by it, actually! I just need to find a way to remove the Status Bar from the bottom. I always hide the Status Bars along the bottom in any browsers I use, because I like to have as much screen space as possible.

IE8 came out March 19th, 2009. Google Chrome came out September 2nd, 2008. See where I am going to this?

"On August 27, 2008, Microsoft made IE8 Beta 2 generally available. PC World noted various Beta 2 features such as InPrivate mode, tab isolation and color coding, and improved standards and compatibility compared to Internet Explorer 7."

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IE8