Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM vs. Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

So, I've gone through couple of reviews and I still can't decide which lens to choose for Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i.

Even though the Sigma is great, some people are complaining about focus issues and apparently calibration can't solve that.

Which one would you recommend me to get?

Thank you.

I haven't used either but I've seen several online reviews where the Sigma comes on top of all the 50/1.4 AF lenses out there. I guess the Sigma's quality has a wider variation between copies.

If what Argote is saying is true (about the sigma having very good quality -at least if you get a non 'defective' one) then I would make sure the place you get it from will allow you to return it for another ifyou happen to get one that doesn't seem to focus correctly!

Either than that piece of advice^ I have neither used nor read a review on either.

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll go to the local photo store and see if it's possible to try the lens before purchase.

Unfortunately, photography equipment prices here are quite steep and I'd rather order it online, in that case, any returning can be pain in the ass.

Well, if anyone has more experience with one of the lenses, feel free to reply.

Here's a good comparative review of both lenses. There's a nice detailed review of Canon's 50mm 1.4 as well. And here's another one from a very respected website.

Honestly, both lenses are pretty good with their own pros and cons. Generally speaking, Canon is superior to Sigma when it comes to consistency in the quality department so you may have to test a few Sigma's before you find a really good one, as opposed to just good :)

Now speaking about the price, the Sigma is more expensive, but since it's an EX series lens - it comes with a hood and a case, it has a really nice matte finish (love it!), and it has some kind of dust/weather sealing I believe.

Stupid question: why 50mm ? :D What are you going to shoot with it?

And...have you tried Canon 50mm 1.8 II at all?

p.s. I like heavy :D

+1 and

:shiftyninja:

p.s. I like heavy :D

That's what he said :shifty:

I bought the sigma 50mm f1.4 last year. And i will never buy sigma again. Serious AF problem almost all the sigma lenses needs recalibration. optically almost no difference. If i were you now i ll go with canon. 100 dollars cheaper and no problem with AF.

@zhiVago: Even non-EX Sigma lenses come with a Hood, Sony also includes hoods with most of the lenses that have one available.

@shan: My Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM does not have focus problems and is not even an EX series lens.

I'm going to use it mostly for indoor photography and portrait shooting.

I considered buying the 1.8 at first, but its build quality threw me off. Besides, I'm willing to pay a bit more if quality justifies the price difference.

I bought the sigma 50mm f1.4 last year. And i will never buy sigma again. Serious AF problem almost all the sigma lenses needs recalibration. optically almost no difference. If i were you now i ll go with canon. 100 dollars cheaper and no problem with AF.

Did recalibration solve AF problem for you?

Did recalibration solve AF problem for you?

still its with sigma ...i am waiting this week.. yes i was using with 7D micro adjustments ..still many times it misses focus.

I'm going to use it mostly for indoor photography and portrait shooting.

I'd go with something wider like a sigma 30 mm 1.4 or maybe a fisheye for indoor photography.

And then for a portrait, I'd pick a longer lens like a sigma 85 mm 1.4 :)

I considered buying the 1.8 at first, but its build quality threw me off. Besides, I'm willing to pay a bit more if quality justifies the price difference.

It's a legendary lens :) A good value. The build quality isn't an issue since if you drop it and it breaks, you can just buy another one. It takes stunning shots for what it's worth.

I'd say grab either 30mm or 85mm 1.4 depending on what's more important to you + canon 50mm 1.8 and save up for canon 50mm 1.2 :)

I have two lenses for my EOS 40D, 17-85 IS USM, and the 50mm 1.4 USM, both Canon lenses (50mm is on it 97% of the time). I can't comment on the Sigma lense but I would highly recommend the Canon 50mm 1.4, very very happy with it best $500AU I've spent.

• 1 month later...

I got the Nikon version of the Sigma 50mm f1.4.

I like it quite a lot, but I don't love it. The AF can be a tad off I think at times but I am quite picky.

Pros: nice bokeh, hood, matte finish

Cons: big and heavy (77mm filter)

This is my favourite picture I've taken with it.

5532709663_965dc7d77d_z.jpg

The flickr group can give you an idea of what you can achieve with it.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/664291@N24/pool/with/5532709663/

For me, I love bokeh and I think the sigma is better than the Nikon 50mm 1.4 in that regard.

• 3 months later...

I see the 77mm thread size as an advantage because my filters are all 77mm too so I could polarise the 50 with ease and not have to buy a smaller Hoya Pro filter; saving some cost!

It's heavier yeah but it feels better built and depending on what body you have, has a better balance than the Canon 50mm 1.4.

I use mine on the 40D and it's perfect. AF is fast and accurate and my sample seems to be focus perfect. Maybe Sigma have improved QC over the years as previous lenses haven't seen a 100% QC track record although they do offer 3 years warranty so you could easily have it sent back for calibration via your local service centre if you do get a dodgy focusing one or something.

The Sigma also comes with a high quality case and a hood. You have to pay big money if you want that with any non L Canon lens.

The bokeh is much more pleasing than the Canon lens as well.

To be honest, I still haven't bought the lens due to lack of time. Based on reviews I'm leaning towards the Sigma. I just hope that the local Sigma service centre will accept the lens ordered elsewhere in case of trouble.