Fuming at Apple: iOS 4.3 on iPhone 3GS

I have an iPhone 3GS and was looking forward to iOS 4.3 due to the hotspot feature, in the Betas the 3GS was fully supported but now in the Golden Master support for this feature on my phone has been pulled. Why? It's just so annoying that it worked perfectly well and Apple's just doing it to try and make me upgrade to a newer model (which won't be happening, I'm done with Apple now). Just goes to show paying the Apple premium doesn't stop you from being left behind. I say left behind, it's a phone their still making there not giving new features to.

I have an iPhone 3GS and was looking forward to iOS 4.3 due to the hotspot feature, in the Betas the 3GS was fully supported but now in the Golden Master support for this feature on my phone has been pulled. Why? It's just so annoying that it worked perfectly well and Apple's just doing it to try and make me upgrade to a newer model (which won't be happening, I'm done with Apple now). Just goes to show paying the Apple premium doesn't stop you from being left behind. I say left behind, it's a phone their still making there not giving new features to.

You are upset that a phone that came out almost 2 years ago wont be supported.... lets think about this one... :rolleyes:

Jailbreak and MyWi ! Works like a charm!

Few problems with that, I have the new bootrom and one of the rarer basebands I think, vast majority of jailbreaks don't work with my model (I say don't work, when a new jailbreak tool comes out I've only seen my baseband listed as a support baseband once). Also I don't see why I should void my warranty and pay for something that Apple's holding back for arbitrary reasons.

You are upset that a phone that came out almost 2 years ago wont be supported.... lets think about this one... :rolleyes:

It's a phone they still make in huge quantities :p Also I can understand them not bothering but for there engineers to build support for the 3GS and to turn it off at the last moment for no reason is what annoys me.

So you expect better when you go Android? Phones are not even being updated after the first couple months to the latest version and if they are they take forever to be complied and released. An old Android phone would not get new features either.

Wait for the final to be released and then see what happens.

So you expect better when you go Android? Phones are not even being updated after the first couple months to the latest version and if they are they take forever to be complied and released. An old Android phone would not get new features either.

On Android I'd have the option of installing a custom rom, on iOS there's nothing I can do since no functioning jailbreak for my phone.

On Android I'd have the option of installing a custom rom, on iOS there's nothing I can do since no functioning jailbreak for my phone.

You said "Also I don't see why I should void my warranty and pay for something that Apple's holding back for arbitrary reasons." If you put a custom rom on your Android phone you void the warranty.

Also, your just going to have to wait and hope that there is a jailbreak released soon for your phone. :/

Do you rely on unlock? Else there's no reason why baseband would be that much of an issue. Also considering there are several options to even swipe the 3GS baseband for iPads and presto! ( Don't mean to sound like a troll, just asking if you have done enough searching/reading on teh subject :) )

Also customs roms = voided warranty as well.

Do you rely on unlock? Else there's no reason why baseband would be that much of an issue. Also considering there are several options to even swipe the 3GS baseband for iPads and presto! ( Don't mean to sound like a troll, just asking if you have done enough searching/reading on teh subject :) )

Also customs roms = voided warranty as well.

I've read up on pretty much ever jailbreak for the 3GS over the past few weeks, all of them are no go, especially that iPad baseband modify one because there's no way to change it back so no way to hide it if my phone needs to go to Apple.

Most likely Jailbreaking your current iPhone (which is possible, do your research :rolleyes:) will be a lot easier than rooting most Android phones lol

Most likely Jailbreaking your current iPhone (which is possible, do your research :rolleyes:) will be a lot easier than rooting most Android phones lol

agreed.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/ <- whats your base band? because according to http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/iPhone-iTouch-Jailbreak all basebands can be Jail Broken

http://www.redmondpie.com/ <- latest news.

They dont make the 3G in large quantities, they make the iPhone4 in large quantities, the 3G has diffrent hardware, and it was likly removed in 4.3 BECAUSE ITS TECHNICALLY STILL BETA, and didnt perform like apple wanted it to.

And good luck woth android, there are ALOT of phones that even though were releaced this year, are unable to update to the current version of Android, let alone the next version, and some have been promised an updated version after it was releaced and still not get it 2 updates later.

Welcome to the real world as far as upgrading to a new model for more features. When i bought my car in 2000 power windows and doors were not an option, 2001 it was standard. I still cant have power windows and doors unless i get a new car

Baseband only matters for unlocking....no effect of jailbreaking that I heard of.

Most of iphones/ipods can be jailbroken with either redsnow or greenposion.

After jailbreak, get MyWi and have fun. I also suggest getting BiteSMS - increase features for text msg. FolderEnchancer - increase folders features. My3g or 3G Unrestrictor.

Quit your bellyaching and buy a refurb IPHONE 4 @ $79 USD. LOL

....but it isn't $79 USD for just the phone.

Sucks dude, when will your phone be out of warranty?

Except the majority of Android phones running Froyo or above will have the teathering feature he is wanting to use, and it won't be limited either, you will be able to connect any wifi device to it.

Except the majority of Android phones running Froyo or above will have the teathering feature he is wanting to use, and it won't be limited either, you will be able to connect any wifi device to it.

And you can connect any WiFi device to the iPhone 4 too. What's your point there?

And you can connect any WiFi device to the iPhone 4 too. What's your point there?

I'm pretty sure I recall seeing that it was limited to 4 devices.

Does it really have anything to do with hardware as to why customers locked into a contract with an iphone 3G will be unable to use a WiFi Hotspot? If the evidence is there please do share as i am really interested.

Maybe they should turn off the ability for me to make a phone call or connect to my home wifi next?

He has a iPhone 3GS which means he is on AT&T. They dont carry Froyo phones. The first phone they will have with 2.2 isnt coming out until 2.3 get released. This is how AT&T makes their money. The cell out dated phones with outdated software that require rooting just to get access to 80% of the Android store. Once you root you don't have a warranty anymore on a brand new device. The only option is paying for expensive insurance on your cell phone. It all amounts to the same issue. No tethering without paying for a new phone that costs 199, which is only 50 more than the best Android phone from AT&T or getting the phone Android phone and spend a $150 over the course of 2 years on insurance.

I find it hard to believe that you can't jailbreak your 3GS.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.2.1-untethered-with-redsn0w-0.9.7b1-how-to-guide/

What specific problems are you having with the Jailbreak? Or do you just not want JB to be your option? The added benefit of MyWi on a JB phone is you don't have to pay an extra $20/mo to your service provider (although that probably violates your ToS).