Which is the best way to slipstream SP1 windows 7?

After reading on-line about the various ways in which to slipstream sp1 into an windows 7 install dvd, the two options that keep coming up are to use either RT 7 Lite or install windows, install the sp1 and then image the drive so it gives you a new install.wim, place that into the folder structure and burn the disc.

Some have said that the RT 7 Lite method has given them a good disc while others claim it hasn't, i have done the second way with vista sp1 and sp2, but its a bit more of a long winded way.

Which would you suggest?

Download the

7601.17514.101119-1850_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso

and

7601.17514.101119-1850_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso

files that were provided by wzor

and delete the ei.cfg file in soucres folder, burn them both and you have 2 original disks that can install any version you need. Legit keys are needed of course :)

• Like 4

If you can't manage to get the slipstreamed images anywhere, use RT7lite.

I made a slipstreamed DVD for x86 and x64 while languages other than english came out on MSDN and it worked great. No problems in several installations.

That was all I did. I didn't get into anything else with RT7lite.

The beta veraion of RT7lite is much more optimized for SP1

I tried RT7Lite 2.6 Beta and it failed. Not sure why (other than it's still in Beta), I might try again. I'm fairly certain I used a command from the Run box to slipstream XP SP's. Where did that go? I'd rather use an official Microsoft method than 3rd party if possible.

* Find a friend having Windows 7 SP1 integrated DVD directly from MS

* Find a friend having technet or MSDN access (many in schools and college have academic access)..

* Wait till Microsoft starts public distribution of SP1 integrated discs..

Thanks..

why slipstream it you self when Microsoft will do it for you for nothing

One more point I wuld like to add.. With Windows 2000 / XP and Server 2003, Microsoft kept integration switch option in the distributive SP exe but with Windows Vista and Windows 7, Microsoft official has no such option...

RT7Lite / vLite, none of these software are official method rather matter of fact as I wrote, Microsoft doesn't have a public method of switch for the Service Packs now days for integration...

Im waitting for the offical MSDN WIndows 7 X64 Sp1 iso..

If one wants an officially (by method I meant) integrated installation source, MS supplied disc would be the only option..

RT7lite just doesn't work. It is rubbish! 99 out of 100 had created a useless image.

I have used that application just two times in my life. One to slipstream x86 SP1 and one for x64 SP1. It worked well for both.

After several installations of SP (x86 and x64) I haven't encountered any problem so far.

Again, it was all I did with it because I like to make everything in my unattended installs myself.

I already have the MSDN ISO images in Spanish so I don't need to slipstream it anymore. At least until SP2 :rofl:

Saves time on an install

Seems to me the time you spend to create a slipstream, you could just as well install Windows 7, then update to service pack 1.

What's the rush ...

Download the

7601.17514.101119-1850_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso

and

7601.17514.101119-1850_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso

files that were provided by wzor

and delete the ei.cfg file in soucres folder, burn them both and you have 2 original disks that can install any version you need. Legit keys are needed of course :)

This is the best method. Be sure to compare the hash to what is on the MSDN site, and then remove the ei.cfg file. Microsoft really should let you download the ISO if you enter a valid serial key online.

Seems to me the time you spend to create a slipstream, you could just as well install Windows 7, then update to service pack 1.

What's the rush ...

It just gives the peace of mind that it's being done properly/cleanly. Maybe for some people, installing SP1 on Windows 7 could be compared to like upgrading to 7 from a previous OS and having leftover junk. Oh, and downtime sucks :)

Also you know you have a clean install from the very beginning, no old files and junk left over, uninstallers, etc. Also you're up to date as soon as you install so no security risks. Microsoft already makes slipstreamed images anyway so there's no wasted time, trying to slipstream it yourself is just silly.

^ I think it's silly to be slipstreaming service pack 1, at all.

I'm not going to waste my time.

You'd have a point if you were only going to install Windows one more time for the rest of your life. Slipstreaming doesn't take long anyway and as pointed out Microsoft has already done it. It's faster than installing Windows plus the SP1 patch afterward.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe for your home PC, but if you got several installations each day/week/month you would love a slipstreamed iso.

So it's not as silly as you might think :)

Instead you're wasting your time debating this. If you have no need for it that's fine, others might prefer something else. Simple as that.

It's ok to slipstream sp1, if you're into collecting DVD's. I prefer doing a fresh install with the sp installed, then making an image and save it to an external drive .... easy peasy ... :laugh: