Photo

Which is the best way to slipstream SP1 windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:09

Saves time on an install

Seems to me the time you spend to create a slipstream, you could just as well install Windows 7, then update to service pack 1.

What's the rush ...

#17 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:17

Download the

7601.17514.101119-1850_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso

and

7601.17514.101119-1850_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso

files that were provided by wzor

and delete the ei.cfg file in soucres folder, burn them both and you have 2 original disks that can install any version you need. Legit keys are needed of course :)

This is the best method. Be sure to compare the hash to what is on the MSDN site, and then remove the ei.cfg file. Microsoft really should let you download the ISO if you enter a valid serial key online.

#18 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

Posted 09 March 2011 - 00:21

Seems to me the time you spend to create a slipstream, you could just as well install Windows 7, then update to service pack 1.

What's the rush ...

It just gives the peace of mind that it's being done properly/cleanly. Maybe for some people, installing SP1 on Windows 7 could be compared to like upgrading to 7 from a previous OS and having leftover junk. Oh, and downtime sucks :)

#19 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 09 March 2011 - 00:28

Also you know you have a clean install from the very beginning, no old files and junk left over, uninstallers, etc. Also you're up to date as soon as you install so no security risks. Microsoft already makes slipstreamed images anyway so there's no wasted time, trying to slipstream it yourself is just silly.

#20 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:51

^ I think it's silly to be slipstreaming service pack 1, at all.

I'm not going to waste my time.

#21 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:03

You'd have a point if you were only going to install Windows one more time for the rest of your life. Slipstreaming doesn't take long anyway and as pointed out Microsoft has already done it. It's faster than installing Windows plus the SP1 patch afterward.

#22 Mineria

Mineria

Neowinian

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:17

Maybe for your home PC, but if you got several installations each day/week/month you would love a slipstreamed iso.
So it's not as silly as you might think :)

#23 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:19

Instead you're wasting your time debating this. If you have no need for it that's fine, others might prefer something else. Simple as that.

#24 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:21

Hum and opinions, If you don't agree with Hum then you are wrong. According to Hum that is

#25 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:23

It's ok to slipstream sp1, if you're into collecting DVD's. I prefer doing a fresh install with the sp installed, then making an image and save it to an external drive .... easy peasy ... :laugh:

#26 epk

epk

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:25

Slipstreaming is great. Even if you just have a couple of PCs at home. As much time as you can waste now, is it really a problem? if you're busy you can do it later. But the day you need to reinstall Windows you're gonna be doing that plus the browser of your choice, updates (even with SP1!) and maybe also Flash, Office, etc. Saving time then is a real plus.

On topic, I also think you should get your hands on a SP1 copy straight from MS. Doing it yourself can bring a lot of headaches.