Meet Firefox 5.0

Yeah, faster than JM but slower than JM+TM (which is what's used normally)

Seeing the results of all the work combined though will be interesting (Although it might not have much affect on traced code since it does natural type interference anyway)

The "app tabs" also won't do it, since they reset whenever you launch the browser, and if you have many, they will run in the background all the time. The state of those stabs should be saved unless the user specified otherwise.

Are you talking about Firefox here? They don't reset when you restart the browser, they are saved. Of course they run in the background, that's the point - they're not bookmarks.

Yeah, faster than JM but slower than JM+TM (which is what's used normally)

Seeing the results of all the work combined though will be interesting (Although it might not have much affect on traced code since it does natural type interference anyway)

TI > JM = > TI + JM + TM > JM + TM (once all the regressions are fixed)

TI > JM = > TI + JM + TM > JM + TM (once all the regressions are fixed)

Ehh?

Is that a progression or an actual "This is better than this" thing?

Ehh?

Is that a progression or an actual "This is better than this" thing?

TI is supposed to be an addon to the JM methods , and of course in the end , when it would be merged with JM and TM , it will be faster than the former

all i want from firefox 5 is hardware accelerated text that is READABLE! I have to disable directwrite as the text just isn't readable, if they can use a method similar to IE9 i'll be happy for that to be FF5, i'd also like "paste and go" built-in for the address bar too instead of having to use an add-on.

I bet they could release this within 2 months if they tried, other features and html5 improvements are of low priority compared to readable text, by default users will struggle to read text in FF4 and probably only 5% of users will figure out that you can disable directwrite which means most users will think ff4 sucks and will switch to chrome.

Why is chrome so high on the V8 score ? Also my firefox RC gets 4153.

Wonder what version of Chrome they used to begin with...

Only fair comparison would be to use the V8 score from Chrome 11 dev.

Are you talking about Firefox here? They don't reset when you restart the browser, they are saved. Of course they run in the background, that's the point - they're not bookmarks.

I was unaware of that, in Chrome "pinned tabs" just reset whenever you launch the browser. Thanks for letting me know!

all i want from firefox 5 is hardware accelerated text that is READABLE! I have to disable directwrite as the text just isn't readable, if they can use a method similar to IE9 i'll be happy for that to be FF5, i'd also like "paste and go" built-in for the address bar too instead of having to use an add-on.

I bet they could release this within 2 months if they tried, other features and html5 improvements are of low priority compared to readable text, by default users will struggle to read text in FF4 and probably only 5% of users will figure out that you can disable directwrite which means most users will think ff4 sucks and will switch to chrome.

1. from what i understand there's not much mozilla can do about the text rendering problem until Microsoft releases some patch or something

2. paste and go in the address bar was implemented awhile ago, you don't need and add-on to do that in firefox 4

3. your last paragraph about the text being hard to read for everyone is complete BS (sorry but true) it completely depends on the computer and hardware many computers the text is perfectly acceptable (mine for example)

1. from what i understand there's not much mozilla can do about the text rendering problem until Microsoft releases some patch or something

2. paste and go in the address bar was implemented awhile ago, you don't need and add-on to do that in firefox 4

3. your last paragraph about the text being hard to read for everyone is complete BS (sorry but true) it completely depends on the computer and hardware many computers the text is perfectly acceptable (mine for example)

Thank you. I was going to do this.

Text has been perfectly fine here since I updated Windows or something... I had the problem with the text but it was fixed for me<3

Why is chrome so high on the V8 score ? Also my firefox RC gets 4153.

Because that test is written by google :shiftyninja:

IE9 uses DirectWrite, so maybe Mozilla should try using that as well? :laugh:

All joking aside, IE9 is fiddling with the DirectWrite rendering parameters a bit, and there is a patch for it. But when I tested it, it had no affect (i.e. IE9 matched Firefox with or without the patch)

You all guys seem to forget that they announced they will release a new version about every 3 months,but with less fixes/changes.So there won't be over 17 000 bugs to fix before release, but much less.So its perfectly possible to see Firefox 7(they said the goal is to release FF 5,6,7 by the end of the year) by the end of the year.Firefox is the most customizable browser there is and you can change almost everything you want(with stylish scripts of course but you can).Of course this slows down the development a lot. With other browsers if you hate that button there or that tool bar or that status bar or what ever you have to live with it because you can't do anything about it.With Firefox you can move the button where you want you can auto hide that tool bar or status bar and so on.Chrome spits new versions like crazy and doesn't even have an open option for files like archives,documents and such.Complete lack of customization and a poor attempt to implement extensions/addons.So pls stop bitching about the FF 4 development.I'm getting tired of all the whining i see in every thread about how this browser releases versions every xx months,that every xx months and so on.

281779600.png

They've bumped the version, and changes have started landing. If they follow the new schedule trunk will branch off soon for an test branch, then a beta branch, then a release by June.

Uhm, can someone remind on how to force addon compatibility on 4.2a1pre. I used a new profile and forgot which part in about:config to change :blush:

extensions.checkCompatibility.4.2a boolean false