199228251.jpg

Before you get all nervous, The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra is a not a sequel to M. Night Shyamalan?s multiple Razzie award winning (or is it losing) film The Last Airbender. It is, however, a sequel to the wildly popular and critically acclaimed animated television show Avatar: The Last Airbender on which that crappy film was based. Set 70 years in the future, The Legend of Korra follows a new Avatar named Korra whose attempts to master the final element, air, leads her to a brand new, steampunk influenced city. After the jump, check out two images from the show, a detailed description as well as the full cast list that includes Lost?s Daniel Dae Kim, Aliens? Lance Henriksen and Spider-Man?s J.K. Simmons.

Paramount, which owns Nickelodeon, first announced the series last summer hot on the heels of the film and at the time, they revealed the first image you see below. The image you see above, however, is brand new courtesy of the Wall Street Journal?s Speakeasy blog. Here?s both of them.

346548556.jpg

The initial press release described the show as follows:

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang ? a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern ?Avatar? world, Republic City ? a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang?s son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

And here?s the official cast list, also courtesy of the Wall Street Journal:

* Janet Varney as KORRA

* Kiernan Shipka as JINORA

* Daniel Dae Kim as HIROSHI SATO

* David Faustino as MAKO

* Seychelle Gabriel as ASAMI

* Lance Henriksen as LIEUTENANT

* P.J. Byrne as BOLIN

* JK Simmons as TENZIN

The show is set to premiere on Nickelodon sometime in 2012.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-airbender-legend-korra-cast-announced/

My kids and me are looking forward to this one, we also wished that they had done a better job finishing the last series, way too many things left unanswered, and would rather not have it covered in this one, other than what happens to Aang

Yeah me two, I liked the series.

My kids and me are looking forward to this one, we also wished that they had done a better job finishing the last series, way too many things left unanswered, and would rather not have it covered in this one, other than what happens to Aang

I think we will see some of the old charactors. As some of you remmeber that Aang friend of the Earth Tribe (cant remmeber the name, sorry) was there even after he sleped for a 100 years, so there should be some one after 70 years.

70 years? So Aang died when he was 80? NOOOOoooooo....

remember that aang would have been ~190 when he died as he was frozen in the ice for a century, so to live that long is actually a bonus..

remember that aang would have been ~190 when he died as he was frozen in the ice for a century, so to live that long is actually a bonus..

Eh, the argument could be made that he was suspended in time for 100 years, so he's still 80 when he died. He didn't age one bit while frozen, else he wouldn't still have looked ten.

• 4 months later...

Yes, yes, YES!

I for one wish they'd find a way to reintroduce Airbenders, this is one of the rare occassions where I wouldn't mind any amount of sequels, simply because they have the perfect setting -- each Avatar age can be a different series. Would be cool to have a Kyoshi series, too.

Yeah, looks great. I LOVED the Aang statue. I haven't really been up with this spin-off/sequel whatever it is, but is it so far in the future that Aang is long dead etc? I'd really love for him to be in it somehow, maybe Korra's teacher or something. Well, we'll always get the obligatory flashbacks with him I'm sure :D

Saw the comic con trailer for this and i love the new direction both the art and style are going in. Love that JK simmons is going to be in it and i cannot wait to see this on the tele.

Ah, turns out it takes place about 50 years after the original show. Certainly plausible that Aang is still kicking. Though, if I remember correctly, the next avatar was activated when the last died or something similar. So meh.

Ah, turns out it takes place about 50 years after the original show. Certainly plausible that Aang is still kicking. Though, if I remember correctly, the next avatar was activated when the last died or something similar. So meh.

From the OP:

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang ? a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra.

Yeah I read that, but I've seen the producers say 50 years as well, and one of them seemed to indicate that at CC the other day.

OMG I can't wait!!!!!!! I loved the orginal series and am craving more!!!! AWESOME!!!!!

It's set 70 years after the original. Aang is not there (tho who knows what will happen, we've seen other people in that world live much longer than 100), and Korra is looking for an airbender to learn from, and that's when we're introduced to Tenzin, Aang's son.

Also, spoilers ahead, and prepare to jump out of the chair with joy after reading this:

-I noticed the stripes on the bison's back were funky, then my brother noticed some creatures flying around the Aang statue. He later told me the following (which he read from some wiki page) -- Sky Bisons aren't extinct! And that's supposed to be a new Air Temple.

-Tenzin has three kids, and check this out, all three are airbenders!

Update:

My brother just told me the following, Aang died earlier than most other avatars/some other people in that world as a consequence of the 100 years he spent in hibernation. That's why it's only been 70 years after the war.