The ending was a bit tame with how easily Korra got her bending back. I was hoping for some deep meditation and passing over to the spirit world for this... I'd say another 2 episodes might have done better justice to the season... Not that it is bad as it is.

Agreed with this. Also,

at first I was surprised she didn't turn to the Avatar state right before Amon took her bending away, but discussing it with my brother it actually makes sense, since spirituality was never her strong side, and as Aang said she needed to reach a low point to get there.

So now that the first season is over, is it the common consensus that the first season is totally worth viewing? And as good as the original run of the show??? :)

Also I'm curious. When Aang shows up in the finale etc, is it the Aang we knew as a kid from the previous run, or the older Aang as an adult Avatar?

I'd also be totally shocked if Zuko himself doesn't show up at some point next season. Since other than Katara, I believe he's the only other surviving member of the original Team Avatar right? Perhaps he will shed light on his Mother's whereabouts himself.

So now that the first season is over, is it the common consensus that the first season is totally worth viewing? And as good as the original run of the show??? :)

Definitely. The way it's set up is just really clever, it holds enough similar elements to please TLA fans, but it cleverly avoids the shadow of it by having its own identity. It really does have the perfect balance of completely new and tidbits of old and it makes you care for the new characters while feeling great when they mention the old ones.

Also I'm curious. When Aang shows up in the finale etc, is it the Aang we knew as a kid from the previous run, or the older Aang as an adult Avatar?

I'd also be totally shocked if Zuko himself doesn't show up at some point next season. Since other than Katara, I believe he's the only other surviving member of the original Team Avatar right? Perhaps he will shed light on his Mother's whereabouts himself.

It's older Aang not the younger one. I don't remember hearing about Zuko still being alive, guess I missed it. I'd personally much rather have a special TLA movie with the original cast but a bit older, say, 20s or early 30s, to explain and show us Zukos mom.

Seeing how self contained this first season was I'm very interested in what season 2 and it's 14 episodes will be about. Which is why I have a gut feeling that we're in for another, smaller, time skip with a more mature Korra. Say, mid 20s Korra would be nice, then we can do without the teen angst.

so when's the next season supposed to start? has it been announced yet?

I don't think they gave a date but I think it's going to start next year around the same time this one started, but it'll be 14 episodes. Also Nick might order more as well, originally it was only going to be this one 12 ep season but Nick orderd 14 more pretty quick. Also nick wanted them to be shorter and self contained stories as well. Thus the next season will have something new for Korra to overcome, dunno what but I think because of this fact we could be in for an older Korra. She's 16/17 in s1 so I'm thinking a maybe she'll be 21-25 in s2?

*Edit*

The second season, Book Two, will consist of 14 episodes. According to the series' creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, about half will take place in Republic City and half in other areas of the world.As of June 2012, Book Two's writing had been completed and the season was in the process of being storyboarded and animated. No broadcast date has been announced.

I watched the ending last week but then went on vacation, so I haven't had time to post my thoughts. The last two episodes of the season were great to watch. There was a lot of action with great bending scenes, and good plot movement. Though I was a little disappointed with how nicely everything wrapped up. It felt really "quick".

Within the span of two episodes

we found out who Amon was, his blood bending, Korra lost her bending but figured out how to air bend, Amon was revealed to the public as a bender ending his movement, Amon and Tarloc's death, Korra getting her bending back and the Avatar state, and healing other benders.

It was great to watch, and felt good to have closure on so many issues. But, as others have said, I would have much rather had those things spread out over several episodes. There must be some really good storytelling within the

Korra losing her bending

plot development.

But the bright side of the season finale tightly wrapping up everything is that next season is completely unknown at this point. I'm all for completely new stories if the quality stays on par. I can't wait for more.

I enjoyed watching The Last Airbender with my daughter last year on Netflix. We were both excited about this new series and just finished watching it. It was great! I especially loved the variety with all bending action, very top notch. The story was well done, though I agree with spacer that it was wrapped up too nicely. With The Last Airbender, we had a climactic event to build up to; we have no such thing at this point.

Nice, this is good news. Hope they've got more time to work on the story for s2-4 so it doesn't feel as rushed as s1 did which I think was due to Nick ordering more episodes than originally expected.

Can't wait for the new season! I wish that Nick would have given them more episodes/book so that the authors could really push the same level of depth that Avatar the Last Airbender had. Still, I liked the overall story of Book 1 and am looking forward to Book 2. I wonder what they are going to call it

since Korra can bend all 4 elements now

Also in regards to the ending of the last episode:

The murder suicide between Torrak (sp?) and Amon (sp?) was pretty dark for a kid show... I bet they both survived somehow.

Can't wait for the new season! I wish that Nick would have given them more episodes/book so that the authors could really push the same level of depth that Avatar the Last Airbender had. Still, I liked the overall story of Book 1 and am looking forward to Book 2. I wonder what they are going to call it

The murder suicide between Torrak (sp?) and Amon (sp?) was pretty dark for a kid show... I bet they both survived somehow.

It's in the article I posted. The next season/book will be titled "Spirits".

I hope not, because that would be too much, and lame IMO. I also wonder what they'll call book 3-4 now. I just hope they don't flood us with teenage angst.

Awesome news.

Btw, today this guy who does mostly djent / very technical metal stuff posted a cover of Little Soldier Boy he made. Sounds awesome, and it was one of the saddest moments from TLA:

I want a damn sequel to the 1st movie.... I mean I'm siting here hanging and I thought it was good aside from some poor acting that can be fixed.

• 1 year later...

Honestly though, so far the 2nd book has been a bit weaker than the first.  Hope it picks up though I haven't seen the newest episode yet.

Yeah, they took their time, but I think the last double episode revealed the implications of all the build up. The stakes are now much higher, and let's hope they keep the pace up from now on. Watch the episodes asap, great stuff.

Finally got around to seeing the newest double episode, 7 and 8, very good.  It was a huge step up from the other episodes, maybe because it wasn't about Korra?  heh.  

• 4 weeks later...

They aired two episodes yesterday, then they posted the final two episodes online. At this point, I think the only thing that still keeps TLA a bit higher on the throne is that it built its story arc for three years so the stakes were higher when that one finished, but strictly as a self contained story, this season was amazing.

I watched episode 11 and 12, haven't seen the web version of 13 and 14 which are the last two eps, I'll wait for better versions next week.  This season started off weak but got better around episode 6, still, I don't hold this higher than the original TLA, IMO this whole season has just shown us how not ready Korra is at being the avatar period.  It's been one Korra mistake after the other that has led us to this point.   Ang at least was grounded and had a cool head and was more adult and mature for his age.   So far it's been two seasons of teen girl drama Korra with her inability to control her raging teen hormones and so on.   Really not mature at all at this point and it shows.   Not that it's been a bad season or sequel show overall but honestly it could've been so much better.  I hope that if they do a season 3 or if they just do a new sequel show with another new avatar they give us someone more calm, collected and not so emotionally driven from mistake to mistake.