Ang at least was grounded and had a cool head and was more adult and mature for his age.   So far it's been two seasons of teen girl drama Korra with her inability to control her raging teen hormones and so on.   Really not mature at all at this point and it shows.

But isn't it the point that's she's a much different character than him? Their circumstances are also much different, and it's not like she's in the same place as when the show started, she's growing. The first season obviously dealt with her bending, this one with her spiritual side. I think the long term story is about her as the character going from that original place and reaching whatever place they take her by Book 4, while the circumstances change over the seasons, whereas The Legend of Aang (while also showing him growing and maturing) was focused more on the three year long story arc and how that wraps up.

But isn't it the point that's she's a much different character than him? Their circumstances are also much different, and it's not like she's in the same place as when the show started, she's growing. The first season obviously dealt with her bending, this one with her spiritual side. I think the long term story is about her as the character going from that original place and reaching whatever place they take her by Book 4, while the circumstances change over the seasons, whereas The Legend of Aang (while also showing him growing and maturing) was focused more on the three year long story arc and how that wraps up.

Yes, it's fine to have the characters be different, that wasn't the issue.  It's just at this point, IMO, with 2 seasons she hasn't mature much or enough yet.  This 2nd book has been her making one poor choice after the other due to her emotions taking over and driving her selfishness.    I'd like this book to be the end of it and for some more cool headedness out of the Avatar of all people in the future.

You can't argue that if she would've thought things out better, not rushed head first and so on things wouldn't be as bad.  But hey, it's not the first time we've had a series with a main character that does the wrong thing time and again but I'd like to move past the teenage "me me me" Korra and on to something better already.

Just watched the final 2 episodes, nice way to end book 2.    Interested in what they do after this with how it all turned out.   Hope this is the end of teen drama angst Korra finally.  

• 7 months later...

No thread for it out, I've seen the first 3 episodes, it's got an interesting plot going for this book.

• 1 month later...

tumblr_naq3z0AWd61qj5jqso1_500.gif

This was mental.

Such a great show, the ending

with Jinora getting her airbending master tattoos

was such an emotional moment, it really builds up on both this show, and The Last Airbender, and celebrates the mythology they've established. Really looking forward to the final season.

• Like 2

I don't understand why Korra had the tears though...

several reasons if you think about it

mostly a combination of sadness for her own current state & happiness for janora

I don't understand why Korra had the tears though...

Well, she's pretty much in a post-traumatic state at the end of it, goes on to show that everything that's been going on has taken its toll. It's quite a dark place for Korra and makes for a bitter-sweet ending, which probably took some guts for the writers.

Speaking of which, this season the writing team has outdone themselves, there were so many traps that were easy to fall into, for instance the whole Mako and Asami situation, but instead of going the cheesy love route, they actually showed their characters were more than stereotypes and managed to overcome those things. Asami and Korra's friendship must be one of the best female friendships on TV, in fact this show might have some of the best written female characters I've seen. Just as with race, they never make a point of it, and they leave it to their character's actions to make their worth.

Another thing I really liked was Bolin's struggle with metal-bending. The episode when they're trying to break out of prison, I was really expecting it for him to pull it off the second time they're cheering for him, but the show cleverly doesn't just let him have it easy only because he wants to metal-bend reeeeaaaally hard. It's only in the end, when Bolin is ready to sacrifice himself for the sake of others, not for the sake of lava-bending itself, that he's "rewarded" with it. And it even makes sense in the logic of their universe, as he comes from a mixed earth and fire bending family. Just neat.

I really think their decision to keep the story a bit simpler this time was brilliant (season 2 really stretched the mythology and "epicness" as far as it could go imo, and stretching it even further probably wouldn't work), and the end result is probably the most consistently well written season of Avatar I've seen. Again, nothing will probably top the original Avatar, because it had so much room to breathe and it built up for three years and 50-something episodes to a satisfactory conclusion, but in the year of True Detective, Fargo, fourth season of Game of Thrones, to stand right beside them as a kid show and be worthy of their company, that's an achievement in and of itself. I really can't believe Nickelodeon managed to screw up the ratings for the show so much, but luckily, fourth season is in production, so let's hope the business decisions don't affect the quality.

Well, I finished it, they can't break away from Korra either acting rash/immature or just flat out getting caught/kidnapped and otherwise getting her butt kicked around.   I thought with the end of book 2 things would change character wise but nope, hopes dashed.  Now there's a book 4 coming but honestly I'm ready for a new Avatar, let's move on please.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, they're rushing through this, heh.  I'm personally ready for a new Avatar, I'm hoping this is the final Korra book, or maybe they'll finally let her mature and get rid of this hotheaded teenager bit.  I thought it was over at the end of book 2 but then book 3 starts and she's back to how she was from the start.  Even secondary characters like Jinora have developed more than Korra IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

The 4th book has started, episode 1 is out and I just saw it.  They at least did what I wanted them to do back with book 3, a time skip.  It's 3 or 4 years, give or take a few months maybe?    Only negative thing I see is that they still, for some reason or another, can't find the ability to develop Korras character.   This is the final book so maybe this will be the one that finally does it.

I thought it was a pretty good episode...  Seems like a fair number of changes that will add to the story line.  I only wished they had released two episodes instead of just the one.

Really liked the episode. I like how "down to earth" this time the struggle will most likely be (unless they change course over the season, which is entirely possible of course). Straight up political drama and power struggles in the Avatar world.

I thought it was a pretty good episode...  Seems like a fair number of changes that will add to the story line.  I only wished they had released two episodes instead of just the one.

They did the whole 2 episode thing with book 3 because someone leaked the whole books story online before, they were forced to rush through the season and move on to book 4.

They did the whole 2 episode thing with book 3 because someone leaked the whole books story online before, they were forced to rush through the season and move on to book 4.

Really? I didn't know about this.

Really? I didn't know about this.

I didn't know about it at all either till someone else told me and I did a quick search to find out it was true.  It explained why they kept releasing two episodes each time till they finished book 3 instead of the normal 1 episode.

Well, I finished it, they can't break away from Korra either acting rash/immature or just flat out getting caught/kidnapped and otherwise getting her butt kicked around.   I thought with the end of book 2 things would change character wise but nope, hopes dashed.  Now there's a book 4 coming but honestly I'm ready for a new Avatar, let's move on please.

The fourth book is supposed to be the last one according to the trailer that was out a week or two ago.

The fourth book is supposed to be the last one according to the trailer that was out a week or two ago.

Yeah, and good I say.  Not that I think this series has been bad overall but even now, with the start of book 4, they still haven't managed to get her character to develop.   They've just done a time skip of 3, maybe 4 years, I forget what the episode said.   Korra was what at the start? 16? Or was she older?  I forget, anyways, she's at least 19 or 20 by now yet her character is stuck in this brooding girl teen mode and has yet to change.   I just hope they do something in this final book, that or lets get this over with quick and give me a new series with a new avatar.

Yeah, and good I say.  Not that I think this series has been bad overall but even now, with the start of book 4, they still haven't managed to get her character to develop.   They've just done a time skip of 3, maybe 4 years, I forget what the episode said.   Korra was what at the start? 16? Or was she older?  I forget, anyways, she's at least 19 or 20 by now yet her character is stuck in this brooding girl teen mode and has yet to change.   I just hope they do something in this final book, that or lets get this over with quick and give me a new series with a new avatar.

I can't think of any specifics at the moment but I feel the complete opposite of how you do towards Korra.

And I'm pretty sure they said in the last season that she was 17.

That's fine, it doesn't look like she's grown mentally at all to me. Just look at the new episode of hook 4, what's up with that at the end?