Thoughts, now that the show is over?

The end in particular?

Spoilerish discussion ahead, I'll tag proper spoilers

I feel that just like the end of season 3, the ending is a testament to true friendship, and just like I was so happy they didn't play into female stereotypes then (by actually having Korra and Asami become great friends despite both dating Mako, and not making a soap with unreasonable female characters out of it, which would have been so easy), I was happy they didn't feel obliged to force a romantic ending for Korra either, so it was really nice they reinforced the idea of female friendship instead.

Then I check out what the internet has to say and the reactions are along the lines of:

OMG KORRA AND ASAMI TOGETHER 4EVER OMG OMG !!1!!1! THEY TOTES LEZZIN' OUT

I mean, I get the writers left it kind of ambiguous... I guess. But doesn't that sort of reasoning kind of play like just a stereotype itself?

Anyway, overall I think I preferred season 3, which to me is a contender for the best season of the entire franchise, but the entire show was just really great. Such a fantastic world they've built, and amazing stories they've told within it. Everyone involved, the showrunners and creators especially deserve so much praise.

Well, I expected more development to have taken place sooner, it always felt to me that when Korra took two steps forward in her development they started the next book and she took another step back just so we could have another round of angst. Overall I liked 4 more and as for the whole Asami bit, well, guess we'll find out if that develops into anything more than deep friendship with a new sequel.

You could say it was ambiguous but to me I think it was more of a strong subtext/hint and if they indeed decided to go with that then they get my respect for having the guts to. Going with Mako would've been the easy thing to do.

Watching the last scene again, yeah, it's clear they strongly hinted at it but probably couldn't pull it off since it's a kids show. On one hand, I guess you could applaud the decision and the bravery to tackle it.

But...

I'm not a fan of the decision.

To me having a strong female character that doesn't feel obliged to have romantic relationships at any price, and a female character that builds the strongest friendship with a person they shared a boyfriend with would have worked better thematically (with Korra maturing). Since there isn't any romantic buildup (correct me if I'm wrong), the (wrong) conclusion you could take from this is that women who share deep affection and deep friendship with each other automatically default to being lesbians.

I think it was just poorly done, and they made a point of it. What I love about this show is how fearless it always was, and how it treated its characters on humane note first. Korra is a brown woman, but you never look at her through that -- you look at her as a person. Jinora shaves her head, they never deal with it, because it's ultimately unimportant, and you like Jinora for who she is, not what her hairstyle is. Like you should. So closing the show by making a point out of her sexuality kind of really goes against that. Her sexuality isn't her personality, and ultimately, it doesn't matter if Korra is gay, or bi, or straight. She's Korra.

Her conversation with Tenzin would have closed this chapter of her life perfectly -- you see her changing from being hot-headed, never taking any advice, someone who thinks their role as the Avatar is to just go against the enemy, to someone who tries to find compassion with their adversaries, someone who actually asks for advice and someone who is at the end of her biggest struggle humbled and feels like they still have plenty to learn.

Ultimately, it doesn't change all that much, and they clearly left it open ended for anyone to come up with their own ideas on what happens next (maybe the first chicken move, though), and it doesn't take away from four seasons of superb entertainment.

Yeah, if it is or isn't then it really doesn't matter, the series is over and it has little effect on what they do with a new avatar character. I liked that they went a bit older with Korra compared to how young Ang was. I hope they go a bit older with a 3rd, start at 18yo this time instead of 16.

It's a successful series so I'm sure they plan to make another one, we'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

For all the doubters. They confirmed it. Korrasami is canon.

Got a link? I didn't doubt it, I thought all the hints and signs were clear, it really came out of nowhere in this final book though, there's nothing in book 3 to hint at it for example.

Ok guys, looks like Kotaku has a post about the ending with comments from the creators.

http://io9.com/legend-of-korra-creators-confirm-that-korrasami-is-cano-1674384152

I found the ending to be clear, as I posted above, but if anyone wants to read the creators thoughts on it just head to the link.

I thought this was about the sequel to the Avatar movie - you know ? with the blue people

Kinda disappointed this thread is for kids

This franchise has more substance than Avatar the movie could ever dream of.

This franchise has more substance than Avatar the movie could ever dream of.

Maybe for you.

I dont think Avatar was an excellent movie, per se.  But I will watch the sequel. 

As far as this Airbender thing -- Im not japanese or 12.

Never got into that stuff when I was younger and it would be silly to care about it now.

Im saying all of this - from my point of view, of course.  I understand many people watched these things when younger and some still do - thats fine - just has no interest for me.

Maybe for you.

I dont think Avatar was an excellent movie, per se.  But I will watch the sequel. 

Never got into that stuff when I was younger and it would be silly to care about it now.

Im saying all of this - from my point of view, of course.  I understand many people watched these things when younger and some still do - thats fine - just has no interest for me.

Then, for crying out loud, what are you doing here? Just leave this thread and let the people that do like it be.

I thought the ending was fine about her relationship, but I'm more interested in the future of avatars. Will she ever get her link back with the past avatars (I know it doesn't seem like it at all) but will there be another avatar or will she be the last? That's where my issues lie.

stop crying - its OK...not that big of a deal.  But to answer your question - look up.

Is it bedtime ?

For you? Probably already mutliple hours past bedtime.

Anyway, to get back on topic: I was honestly a little surprised with the ending. They sure did make some hints towards it, but I never tought they would include this in the actual series, especialy not as the final bits.

Korra isn't going to be the last avatar, while her link to the past was cut the thing that makes her the avatar is still there, Ravva. Ravva is what keeps the avatar going through rebirth. The next one they do will then have a connection to Korra.

Maybe for you.

Saying it's for 12 year olds is a very lazy way of making an insult. It deals with more adult themes than Avatar the movie, not to mention that originality-wise, it blows it out of the water.