laptop won't connect to wifi signal, but ipod will..

ahhhhh this is driving me crazy. the signal has an excellent strength... works completely fine on my ipod, but my laptop will NOT connect. i've tried going through every setting i could possibly think of, nothing seems to be wrong. it just says "unable to connect to _____" .... doesn't even let me get to the part where i have to enter the password.

does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?? thanksssss

Yeah... I've never had this problem until now.

But since my ipod has no problem connecting... I'm thinking it just has to be some sort of issue with my laptop, but I have no idea what it is. :s

And you changed nothing on the wireless network, did not change the SSID, nothing - and use to work fine and now its not?

Do you have Mac filtering enabled? If so verify the Mac address with the one set on your wireless router.

If that doesnt work then I recommend going through and comparing all settings in your router and on your laptop. Also try updating your wireless drivers.

I've seen this happen before when wireless card starts to go bad.

Yeah... I've never had this problem until now.

But since my ipod has no problem connecting... I'm thinking it just has to be some sort of issue with my laptop, but I have no idea what it is. :s

Did you recently change any wireless settings on your router (password, encryption (WPA, WPA2, WEP), channel, etc)?

Maybe try deleting the remembered wireless network and re-connect.

Check your wifi card, ensure its turned on, ensure windows still recognizes it and a driver for it.

Reboot your router maybe. Check to see if anyone might have turned on or edited MAC filter settings.

Worst case, reinstall driver for network card

If you still have issues maybe screen cap the errors it and post it here.

I haven't changed any of the settings. And it's not my router... it's a hotel's wifi. I'm in a different city every week, but this is the first time it won't connect. Nobody else is having this problem though. Maybe I'll just wait until next week and see if it works at the next hotel... if not then I'll try reinstalling the driver? I've tried everything else. =\

Hotel is normally no encryption settings - you might have to tell your box to allow connection to open wifi

What os you using and what wireless supplicant, the built in one or one from wifi card maker?

Most hotels I have ever been in have been open, and then with a captive portal solution - connection to wifi, then when open browser have to accept terms, put in a code you get at the lobby sort of thing.

As already mentioned, you might need to pull out the saved networks if you have an older one that matches up with the same SSID.

I'm using windows 7 and yeah the built in wifi.

I have removed all the saved networks. My roommate even connected to the internet on his Mac then created a wifi signal from his mac... and the network name comes up on the list but same thing when i try to connect... just says unable. ughhh. :s

ok lets clarify something, is this network your trying to connect to listed as secured or unsecured? What does it say when you look at your available networks list on your wifi?

Also

from cmd prompt

what does

netsh wlan show filters

output?