Latest Steam Hardware & Software Survey (February 2011)

SteamSurvey.png

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Here's the interesting part: the most popular OS is Windows 7 64-bit (+14.69% more than Windows XP 32-bit). Also, the most popular display resolution is 1920 x 1080. It looks like the majority of Steam users have fairly capable gaming computers.

Here's the interesting part: the most popular OS is Windows 7 64-bit (+14.69% more than Windows XP 32-bit). Also, the most popular display resolution is 1920 x 1080. It looks like the majority of Steam users have fairly capable gaming computers.

I just joined the 1920x1080 numbers a month or so ago myself so i guess i helped that out a tiny bit.

It also looks like within maybe the next year that quad cores will take over the dual cores spot on top on the windows side of things. As it's 12% behind as of now(the graph is always waayyy behind) and increasing at a rate of 1-2% a month.

Most popular video card is the NVIDIA GeForce 9800. Hey, that's the card I'm using! Perhaps it's almost time to upgrade, lol ;).

Pretty neat list overall though. I'm a little surprised to see that 1920x1080 has become the most popular resolution among Steam users. I still swear by 16:10 aspect ratios personally (in fact, I just bought a monitor this week that is 16:10), but it looks like I'm becoming an unusual case.

I had 16:10 until recently. Then went 16:9. Also, ATI and AMD usage has apparently dropped. Although the addition of Macs probably boosted the Intel side nicely.

I just joined the 1920x1080 numbers a month or so ago myself so i guess i helped that out a tiny bit.

It also looks like within maybe the next year that quad cores will take over the dual cores spot on top on the windows side of things. As it's 12% behind as of now(the graph is always waayyy behind) and increasing at a rate of 1-2% a month.

I noticed that too. Dual core CPUs are becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunately, I still have one.

Most popular video card is the NVIDIA GeForce 9800. Hey, that's the card I'm using! Perhaps it's almost time to upgrade, lol ;).

Pretty neat list overall though. I'm a little surprised to see that 1920x1080 has become the most popular resolution among Steam users. I still swear by 16:10 aspect ratios personally (in fact, I just bought a monitor this week that is 16:10), but it looks like I'm becoming an unusual case.

1920x1080 recently surpassed 1680x1050. Personally, I prefer the latter because of its 16:10 aspect ratio.

Monitor manufacturers are saturating the market with 16:9 monitors. It's simply a marketing tactic, 1920x1080 is "Full HD" as they put it.

I'm using a Dell U2410 1920x1200 and I love it...

As for the survey, I'm slightly suprised by the amount of Nvidia GPU's... I know they used to be more popular but AMD/ATI currently make the best price/performance GPU's.

Oh and wow at the amount not using DX11... I guess if you don't have the specs for it you can't run it, but personally I run every possible game in DX11 :D

Monitor manufacturers are saturating the market with 16:9 monitors. It's simply a marketing tactic, 1920x1080 is "Full HD" as they put it.

As for the survey, I'm slightly suprised by the amount of Nvidia GPU's... I know they used to be more popular but AMD/ATI currently make the best price/performance GPU's.

Oh and wow at the amount not using DX11... I guess if you don't have the specs for it you can't run it, but personally I run every possible game in DX11 :D

Yeah, it's a shame that PC monitors are sporting 16:9 aspect ratios instead of 16:10. The amount of NVIDIA GPUs seems to be on par, perhaps even less because I remember them being at 60% (vs. 59.11% now).

The actual percentage for DX10 and DX11 hardware is 70.78% and 19.23%, respectively. Unfortunately, you also need an operating system that supports DX10/DX11 like Windows Vista and Windows 7. At this point, it's the software that's slightly lacking.

Used to be ?