different search engines

Hello all,

i'll be writing a term paper about search engines for my computer ethics course.

Here are the topics im thinking of including:

The Search Engines War

I. Introduction.

II. Definition and history of search engines.

III. How do search engines work?

1. Web crawling

2. Indexing

3. Searching

IV. The war

1. Global Market Shares.

2. Lebanese Market Shares.

V. Web search and privacy.

1. Search Logs.

2. Targeted Advertisements.

VI. Are search engines bias?

VII. Conclusion

Please note that the term paper will include a survey done on campus.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

More topics I could add?

A (funny?) attractive title?

thank you in advance

On whether or not search engines are bias, you could mention how Bing has partnered with certain sites to create tiles for well known sites like Wikipedia nad Youtube, you could also mention how Microsoft tries to keep you in the Bing interface with their tabs UI concept.

How about legality, DMCA and all that? Sooner or later the MPAA/etc is going after them. I'm not saying good or bad, but I can get the same results from Google as I can "WhateverWarezSite.com" and pick up some torrent or direct download links. Why is one site illegal while another one isn't, even though giving the same results? That sort of thing.

Oh, and +1 for the "I Googled Bing" title, catchy :D

How about legality, DMCA and all that? Sooner or later the MPAA/etc is going after them. I'm not saying good or bad, but I can get the same results from Google as I can "WhateverWarezSite.com" and pick up some torrent or direct download links. Why is one site illegal while another one isn't, even though giving the same results? That sort of thing.

Oh, and +1 for the "I Googled Bing" title, catchy :D

This is a complicated topic. See the "safe harbour" section of the DMCA. Basically, Google/Bing act in "good faith", taking action on DMCA notices in a timely fashion, therefore they aren't liable for indexing infringing content. Also, they don't target that content specifically, whereas "RandomWarezSite.com" actively pursues that content and promotes copyright infringement.

@OP: For your paper, you should keep the sections on how search engines work extremely light for two reasons. Firstly, since your paper in on ethics, you shouldn't really care about how the technology works, just what it does. Secondly, no matter what you write, chances are you'll be extremely inaccurate. Seemingly simple topics such as following links to crawl are very complex processes.

• 1 year later...