Do NOT buy the HTC Thunderbolt

What kind of battery life do you think you would get with this phone? It is almost exactly the same as the EVO. All HTC phone's has stock battery life which go for about four to six hours. That is the typical stock battery life. If and when root is available for it, you can flash a different kernel with SBC and that will help on battery life big time. I get about 8 hours of moderate use of my EVO. Goodluck.

root it and underclock it during down time might help... in general though HTC isn't known for their battery life... take the HTC desire for example at most on moderate usage you'll get 24 hours usually and only about 12 with relatively heavy usage.

I'd love 24 hours. Could even deal with 12 hours, just charge overnight but the current 4-5 hours I'm seeing just doesn't cut it.

Theirs a 4g sim card in the thunderbolt just yank it out and the 4g veal ends, remove the battery, the card is right behind the speaker, I haven't tried it myself yet but I saw a video on a site do it and they said It's the only way to shut off the 4g for now.

What kind of battery life do you think you would get with this phone? It is almost exactly the same as the EVO. All HTC phone's has stock battery life which go for about four to six hours. That is the typical stock battery life. If and when root is available for it, you can flash a different kernel with SBC and that will help on battery life big time. I get about 8 hours of moderate use of my EVO. Goodluck.

Was thinking I'd get at least 8-10 hours, maybe even 12. Basically a days worth of use. I've used HTC handsets for the past 5 years and never had one with this kind of problem (Although they were older WinMo handsets and not droid ones).

Theirs a 4g sim card in the thunderbolt just yank it out and the 4g veal ends, remove the battery, the card is right behind the speaker, I haven't tried it myself yet but I saw a video on a site do it and they said It's the only way to shut off the 4g for now.

Hmmmm, someone said that it gave them no service when they did this, even in 3G only areas. Guess I could give it a shot.

I have the thunderbolt and I just witness my battery drop like a brick from 80% to half in a second, eh I like the phone and whereever I go theirs a spot to plug it in

Thanks. Says it's the same size and fits so shouldn't be a bump.

From the description, found it on Amazon for $5 less :-

Battery

Nice, ordered from there and will cancel the other. I will get it much sooner through them...should be tomorrow.

I have the thunderbolt and I just witness my battery drop like a brick from 80% to half in a second, eh I like the phone and whereever I go theirs a spot to plug it in

Yea I am in the same boat. Do not see myself returning it over it as I am almost always around some sort of power source...computer, car, wherever.

Maybe you have to disable 4G somehow so it won't be looking for a signal or something?

Just a question...why would disable 4G? That is the whole selling point of this phone. If the area you live in isn't covered by 4G why would you buy it in the first place. That's like buying an entirely new computer but disabling half of its features just so that it will work properly. That is a mind boggling statement.

Was thinking I'd get at least 8-10 hours, maybe even 12. Basically a days worth of use. I've used HTC handsets for the past 5 years and never had one with this kind of problem (Although they were older WinMo handsets and not droid ones).

Well HTC CDMA phone in the states, none of them, in the past six years have had good battery life unless you bought an extended battery. As for Android, it is a power eating monster. A bit different than old school WMO. You will never see 9-10 hours or even 12 on any HTC Google phone until they release it with a bigger battery or the dual core CPU's

Just a question...why would disable 4G? That is the whole selling point of this phone. If the area you live in isn't covered by 4G why would you buy it in the first place. That's like buying an entirely new computer but disabling half of its features just so that it will work properly. That is a mind boggling statement.

Saves on battery life as it is not searching for 4G all of the time. I bought it because I will have 4G in my area within the next year and would like a phone that can take advantage of it...that and I live 20 miles from 4G so I have it quite frequently. VZW plans to have its entire footprint 4G by 2013 with most of it happening this year and next...well before people contracts are up.

I bought it because we're getting 4G in a few months time in this area and you can only get one subsidized handset per year, so why not buy a 4g handset now looking towards the future?

Disable bluetooth. that drains phones batteries quick. also areas with crappy signal do as well. my finesse has that issue.

Disable bluetooth. that drains phones batteries quick. also areas with crappy signal do as well. my finesse has that issue.

Already done that. Basically only the 3G/4G service is turned on.

No, there is no break in period for li-ion batteries, and you don't need to charge it before first use either. They are shipped with about half battery to prevent too much self-discharge when sitting on the shelf, and to not have too much voltage for too long of a time if fully charged. Li-ion batteries can actually be stressed by sitting at a high charge too long, which is why you see a lot of phones charge them up, then let them discharge to 90-95%, then charge, until you take it off the charger. After you fully charged it once, it was at it's maximum, so unless it's a bad battery, then the issue isn't the battery.

I'd still give it a few days though. In my experience, even if you don't realize it, you play with your phone a LOT more when you first get it than normal, and the battery dies very quickly for the first few days. Once the novelty wears off you see battery life improve as you don't play with it as much.

But then again, we've heard a lot about how bad the battery life is for the Thunderbolts. I can't imagine it's actually 4-5 hours or else they would have never brought it to market, at least I wouldn't think.

Smartphone batteries need breaking in. Keep discharging and fully recharging it. It'll get better.

Experienced similar with my Nexus S. Significantly improved after multiple recharges.

Silly. By your reasoning no-one should buy a NFC capable phone either then...

A great 4G phone is still a great 3G phone.

Anyway... yeah, I'd also suggest adding the Power widget to your home screen. Makes it handy to turn toggle stuff on/off as you need to.

try bump charging the phone, if you can. Charge it fully, then turn it off. Unplug the phone, then plug it back in. if the light stays red (charging) then it's getting an extra "bump" charge. Do this three times in a row without turning the phone back on, if possible. My incredible NEEDS this done. Otherwise it's like charging to 80% and pulling it off the charger.

For me, any phone has got to be capable of running all day and then missing a charge that night and able to do a basic calls the next day.

I appreciate that with all we ask of them now it may be hard work for any phone/battery but if you cant get basic phone use after 24 hours then its not practical as a phone.

Wow, that's ridiculous for a brand new phone! All these so-called innovations, all these new "features" being stacked on top of one another... I am beginning to think we need to reinvent the battery or something. It seems like the phones get faster and faster, but the batteries always stay the same.

I'd have to say this is normal with the phones now, only thing I can recommend is getting a bigger battery, and turn off everything you don't need, and turn it on for when you need it.

I'd have to say this is normal with the phones now, only thing I can recommend is getting a bigger battery, and turn off everything you don't need, and turn it on for when you need it.

When my LG Optimus is doing two days, and my friends iPhones are doing two days, and my girlfriend's Blackberry Bold is doing three-four days, no, this is not normal with phones now :)

Even my HTC Incredible is doing a couple days worth on a single charge. 5-6 hours is pretty ridiculous.

Experienced similar with my Nexus S. Significantly improved after multiple recharges.

Silly. By your reasoning no-one should buy a NFC capable phone either then...

A great 4G phone is still a great 3G phone.

Anyway... yeah, I'd also suggest adding the Power widget to your home screen. Makes it handy to turn toggle stuff on/off as you need to.

NFC is a pipe dream here in the states. It will never make a wide footprint. Hell we have major banks that are seriously thinking of limiting how much you can spend per purchase on a debit card...do you really think that they are going to like how NFC will work?