Do NOT buy the HTC Thunderbolt

People seem to forget that today's smartphones are essentially computing devices with phone functionality thrown in. More bells and whistles is going to mean less battery life :)

People seem to forget that today's smartphones are essentially computing devices with phone functionality thrown in. More bells and whistles is going to mean less battery life :)

Yeah it's quite incredible when you think about how many devices/tools a smartphone can actually replace:

- Alarm clock

- Netbook

- Calendar

- Pager

- Sat nav

- Radio

- Games console

- Notepad

And whatever other stuff you can replace with apps on the market!

Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries you dont need to charge and train. Android however needs to figure out how long it can run before the battery is dead.

This is an ongoing issue though you arent the only one, all over XDA people are having the same issue

As many of you know our phones come standard with Lithium Polymer batteries. Li-Po batteries are a type of Lithium Ion battery. Li-ion batteries do not develop memory due to crystalization. One precaution you do have to take with all types of Li-Ion batteries is that you cannot discharge them all the way or they may not charge back up at all. In order for the average consumer to not worry about this there are software and hardware monitors and restrictions on the chargers and on the phone itself. When the battery reaches it's maximum voltage, the charger "shuts off" so to speak. But if the charger were then removed the battery would drop in voltage to less than it's maximum because of the charging voltage being removed. The following procedure can be used to make the phone realize this fact and know that more mA's can be stored in the battery (<-this was really dumbed down, but should be an understandable explaination for most).

Battery calibration:

1>Charge battery with phone turned on until led turns green

2>Unplug

3>Turn off phone and charge for one hour.

4>Unplug

5>Turn on, wait 2 minutes

6> Turn off phone and charge for one hour

7>Turn phone on and wipe battery stats.

8> Reboot and enjoy drastically longer battery life

Your battery may not give proper read out until discharged and recharged now.

I get about 3 maybe 4 days from my Desire.

• I don't have bluetooth on.
  • I don't have "mobile data" (3G?) turned on.
  • I don't have WiFi turned on.
  • GPS is turned off.
  • I have the brightness turned down to the first notch above bottom.
  • I have the timeout (to turn the screen off) set to 15 seconds.
  • I have the standard HTC animated wallpaper.
  • I don't watch videos on the phone.
  • I don't listen to music on it.
  • I rarely use the camera, and when I do, I turn it off when not taking a photo.

I turn on data and WiFi when I need it to update weather (about once every 2/3 days).

I rarely send emails on it (I have my desktop for that!).

Seriously, I wonder what people do to their phones to get such little battery life out of it :p

if you have all that disabled and dont use any data, wifi, internet, camera, video, email... why do you have the phone at all? you should have just bought a 1c pre-paid phone from Virgin Mobile or something.

Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries you dont need to charge and train. Android however needs to figure out how long it can run before the battery is dead.

This is an ongoing issue though you arent the only one, all over XDA people are having the same issue

As many of you know our phones come standard with Lithium Polymer batteries. Li-Po batteries are a type of Lithium Ion battery. Li-ion batteries do not develop memory due to crystalization. One precaution you do have to take with all types of Li-Ion batteries is that you cannot discharge them all the way or they may not charge back up at all. In order for the average consumer to not worry about this there are software and hardware monitors and restrictions on the chargers and on the phone itself. When the battery reaches it's maximum voltage, the charger "shuts off" so to speak. But if the charger were then removed the battery would drop in voltage to less than it's maximum because of the charging voltage being removed. The following procedure can be used to make the phone realize this fact and know that more mA's can be stored in the battery (<-this was really dumbed down, but should be an understandable explaination for most).

Battery calibration:

1>Charge battery with phone turned on until led turns green

2>Unplug

3>Turn off phone and charge for one hour.

4>Unplug

5>Turn on, wait 2 minutes

6> Turn off phone and charge for one hour

7>Turn phone on and wipe battery stats.

8> Reboot and enjoy drastically longer battery life

Your battery may not give proper read out until discharged and recharged now.

i'm extremely skeptical. still, i'll probably try it :rofl:

step 5 - do you wait 2 mins from time of boot or when the phone is booted? the HTC Evo easily takes 1-2mins just to boot...

also, step 7 - do you turn on the phone and wipe stats w/ it plugged in or not? same for step 8 - do you reboot w/ the phone plugged in?

if you have all that disabled and dont use any data, wifi, internet, camera, video, email... why do you have the phone at all? you should have just bought a 1c pre-paid phone from Virgin Mobile or something.

i'm extremely skeptical. still, i'll probably try it :rofl:

step 5 - do you wait 2 mins from time of boot or when the phone is booted? the HTC Evo easily takes 1-2mins just to boot...

Wait until it fully boots to desktop then wait 2 minutes

also, step 7 - do you turn on the phone and wipe stats w/ it plugged in or not? same for step 8 - do you reboot w/ the phone plugged in?

Doesnt matter if its plugged in or not

• 4 weeks later...