General Boxing Thread!

Former British super-middleweight champion James DeGale will challenge for the European title in September against Poland's Piotr Wilczewski.

It will be the 25-year-old's first bout since losing the British title on points to George Groves in May.

Wilczewski, who won the vacant European and WBO Intercontinental titles in March, has lost only once in 30 fights.

"Challenging for the European title is a fantastic opportunity to get myself back in the big picture," DeGale said.

"I've been hard in training since my last fight and I'm ready to box tomorrow if I need to, come September I'll be in great shape."

Former British super-middleweight champion James DeGale will challenge for the European title in September against Poland's Piotr Wilczewski.

It will be the 25-year-old's first bout since losing the British title on points to George Groves in May.

Wilczewski, who won the vacant European and WBO Intercontinental titles in March, has lost only once in 30 fights.

"Challenging for the European title is a fantastic opportunity to get myself back in the big picture," DeGale said.

"I've been hard in training since my last fight and I'm ready to box tomorrow if I need to, come September I'll be in great shape."

Just shows how ridiculous boxing is. Lose your last fight and your next one is for a better title than you just lost. :no:

Just shows how ridiculous boxing is. Lose your last fight and your next one is for a better title than you just lost. :no:

Yeah, it's a bloody travesty. I really hope DeGale gets his arse handed to him now.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, the thread hasn't been updated in over three weeks. Shows how big a loss some parts of the forum have suffered with Rappy's hiatus. :(

Anyway, let's try and get things up to date...

Who watched Amir Khan's fight last week? Pretty much a one-sided fight against Zab Judah finishing in a 5th round knockout from a body punch which Judah claimed was a low blow, but the replays (and the commentators) show it was on the belt, meaning it's a legal body punch.

Waiting to see who Khan will fight next. There was a rumour that Khan was hoping to fight Erik Morales in December, even though he's fighting in September. But it looks like Khan will probably be facing Lamont Peterson next. Peterson won the IBF light-welterweight title eliminator in Las Vegas by stopping Victor Cayo in the 12th, so he's now the #1 contender. Timothy Bradley's another potential opponent for Khan as well, and so is a rematch against Breidis Prescott, who gave Khan his only professional defeat to date in less than a minute...

If Khan wins his next fight, he's planning to move up to welterweight to try and fight Mayweather, which could be a good fight. Khan might be able to do what Ricky Hatton couldn't do, which is end Mayweather's streak. Pacquiao's obviously still got a better chance against Mayweather than Khan, but we still have to wait in hope for Mayweather to agree to fight Pacquiao, so Khan vs. Mayweather would be the next best thing; he spars with Pacquiao, and both Khan and Pacquiao train with Freddie Roach, who is one of the main reasons why they're on top of the world at the moment.

I don't think that Khan is ready for Mayweather. He's quick, he's got a good jab, but he's not as good as Mayweather.

Agreed. Khan's got plenty of fights under his belt already, but I think he needs another good challenge or two before he steps up to fight Mayweather. I think he should go for a rematch against Breidis Prescott. If he can beat Prescott and avenge his loss, I'd say he's ready.

Agreed. Khan's got plenty of fights under his belt already, but I think he needs another good challenge or two before he steps up to fight Mayweather. I think he should go for a rematch against Breidis Prescott. If he can beat Prescott and avenge his loss, I'd say he's ready.

That's a bit risky though isn't it?

What happens if he loses again (even if it is only on points)?

That's a bit risky though isn't it?

What happens if he loses again (even if it is only on points)?

Then he's not ready for Mayweather. I know there'd be a lot hanging on him if he chose to fight Prescott again, but I reckon he's good enough to beat him now, and if he can prove it in the ring, that would be a huge weight off his shoulders. Personally, I think Khan losing to Prescott was the best thing to happen to his career, because after that, he picked himself up, improved himself in the gym, and look at him now; he holds two of the four major world titles in the Light-Welterweight division.

But it looks like that fight won't be happening for a while, as Prescott's signed up to face Paul McCloskey in Dublin in September in a WBA Light-Welterweight title eliminator. And if Prescott wins the eliminator, he won't be facing Khan for that title, as Khan's the WBA Super champion now after beating Zab Judah; Marcos Maidana is the standard WBA champion now.

So in that case, I reckon Khan should go after Timothy Bradley. He's the WBC and WBO champion, so if they go at it with all four titles on the line, the winner will become the undisputed Light-Welterweight champion of the world. :) And it'd be good to see an undisputed champion in boxing again. There hasn't been one for two years now, and that was in the Super Flyweight division. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Kimbo Slice won his boxing debut in 10 seconds against a 0-2 fighter. He's clearly "a force in the Heavyweight division". Hahahaha

• 4 weeks later...

Kimbo Slice won his boxing debut in 10 seconds against a 0-2 fighter. He's clearly "a force in the Heavyweight division". Hahahaha

Oh yeah, I saw that last week! :p

Since I'm reviving this thread :p , anyone here see Floyd Mayweather's offer to Amir Khan? He wants Khan to face Jessie Vargas (who trains with Mayweather, BTW), and if Khan beats him, he gets Mayweather. Seeing as Mayweather is constantly dodging Pacquiao, Khan may be the next best challenger for him. Let's hope he takes up the offer. :)

So, who watched Klitschko vs. Adamek? Adamek put up a good fight most of the way, even knocking Klitschko down in the process, but sadly, he wasn't able to capitalise on that, and it just went downhill from there until the ref finally stopped the fight in the 10th, and he took ages to stop it.

*yawn* the HW division is literally the most boring division in Boxing atm

Yeah, it's a shame, but there really isn't anyone in the division that could defeat either of the Klitschko brothers. Apparently, Tyson Fury may be next in line to face Wladimir. God help us if that's the case. :p

Yeah, it's a shame, but there really isn't anyone in the division that could defeat either of the Klitschko brothers. Apparently, Tyson Fury may be next in line to face Wladimir. God help us if that's the case. :p

yeah that would be a boring ass match up! it will be constant hugs...anyway...

British heavyweight boxer David Haye has said he will delay retirement plans if he is given a fight against either Vitali or Wladimir Klitschko.

Haye lost his WBA title to Wladimir in July and had planned to retire before his 31st birthday in October.

Vitali defended his WBC title against Tomasz Adamek on Saturday, while his brother expects to fight in December.

"If I am given a rematch or Vitali will fight me, I will postpone my retirement for six months," Haye said.

The 30-year-old told German daily newspaper Bild his decision to delay his plans was influenced by family and advice from Britain's former heavyweight world champion Lennox Lewis, who earned a sixth-round technical knock-out against Vitali eight years ago.

"I've reconsidered everything after talking to my family and meeting with Lennox Lewis in Montego Bay, Jamaica," said Haye.

"We chilled out there and Lennox gave me some tips on how to beat Vitali, just like he did in 2003."

By beating Haye on points in their fight in Hamburg, Wladimir added the British fighter's WBA belt to his IBF, IBO and WBO titles.

But Haye insisted: "Wladimir couldn't put me down and he had the referee, judges and fans on his side. I had no real chance. Vitali should give me the chance, if he dares."

After defending his WBC belt with a 10th-round technical knock-out of challenger Adamek, Vitali welcomed the news of Haye's invitation to fight.

"Haye is the best boxer - in trash talking," said Klitschko after beating Adamek.

"I am saying that I want to fight him. Why? Because he has personally insulted me deeply. I want to knock him out."

Yeah, they were debating Haye vs. Vitali after the fight last night on Sky Sports. It would obviously be a borefest, but I'd still watch, just to see Haye get knocked out. :p Vitali meant business in his post-match interview, simply saying "I want to knock David Haye out". If it happens, let's hope Vitali can finish the job that Wladimir started.

Also the Lennox Lewis thing is quite akin to Okami saying he beat Silva. Lennox won because a doctor stopped the fight because of a severe cut, Vitali Klitschko was ahead on points. I guess his advice must be "Cut him, Cut him badly".

so who's looking forward to seeing Mayweather win again? :rofl:

Im sure there is someone out there. Ortiz will bring it but he leaves himself too open and will be countered in the process. He does stand a hell of a punchers chance which could make this fight fun, seeing how Mosley had Floyd hurt in their last outing.

927989734.JPG

:rofl:

Is that Mayweather? If so, he should be giving him a packet of Durex instead, as Khan would bloody rape him if they fought! :p

Oh, speaking of Khan, his next fight's been announced...

Amir Khan to face Lamont Peterson in IBF light-welterweight defence

Telegraph Sport has learnt that the sites being considered for the HBO televised bout include Detroit, Washington DC and Montreal on Dec 10. Washington is emerging as the favoured venue. Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, told Telegraph Sport that Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, would be one of the invited VIP guests. Khan attended a dinner at the White House at the behest of Mrs Clinton last week.

"I haven't spoken to my manager and my trainer, and they haven't told me for certain yet, but I knew that we are very, very close. I knew that we were very close to finalizing the deal for the last week or so, but it's not signed yet," Peterson told Telegraph Sport.

However, Schaefer later confirmed that the fight was all but signed.

Peterson added: "Yes, this is the fight that I want right now. It's the fight that I was looking for, and it's a strong fight for me. It's the best fight that I can get, because I'm fighting the No 1 guy in the 140-pound weight class and I'm fighting for the title. It's a fight I know that I can win."

Khan, 24, defeated Zab Judah, then the IBF titleholder, in July in Las Vegas. Peterson, 27, (record ? 29-1-1, 15 KOs) from Washington D.C. won an IBF eliminator with a 12th-round stoppage of Victor Cayo in July, earning the organization's No 1 contender status.

So, no Jessie Vargas for now. Maybe next year?

Is that Mayweather? If so, he should be giving him a packet of Durex instead, as Khan would bloody rape him if they fought! :p

yeah but that won't happen! :p