General Boxing Thread!

Victor Ortiz learned that you shouldn't drop your guard while the fight is still going. May that serve him as a lesson. Dumb carebear hugging during a boxing match.

Victor Ortiz learned that you shouldn't drop your guard while the fight is still going. May that serve him as a lesson. Dumb carebear hugging during a boxing match.

Exactly. Even more to the point, he already got one full hug in right afterwards, he then went for another hug, and it was the 3rd hug that Mayweather pushed him away and knocked him out.

Cheap move? I will see why some will argue this point, but it is a boxing match. Key word being boxing.

Exactly. Even more to the point, he already got one full hug in right afterwards, he then went for another hug, and it was the 3rd hug that Mayweather pushed him away and knocked him out.

Cheap move? I will see why some will argue this point, but it is a boxing match. Key word being boxing.

Very true, but Ortiz was just being apologetic and respectful, then Mayweather cheap shots him twice for the win. He didn't need to do that to win; he was owning Ortiz for most of the fight, so instead, he takes the easy way out, and in come the fixing comments, bolstered by the fact that Joe Cortez was looking away when the first cheap shot landed.

Referee Joe Cortez told the Las Vegas Review Journal that Mayweather?s KO punch was a legal shot. ?Time was in,? Cortez said. ?The fighter needs to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing wrong.?

Mayweather Quotes:

?This was another unbelievable performance. A lot of people want to know what happened. There were a couple head butts. Sh*t happens in the sport of boxing.

?Protect yourself at all times.

?You wanted to see a knockout and that is what I gave you.

?When victor Ortiz was nine years old, I was dominating the sport of boxing.

?This was an unbelievable training camp. This camp was blood sweat and tears. Being up all night. Running seven or eight miles. I deserved it.

?I was always told to protect yourself at all times. My mouth was split open. I said keep it clean. Once you touch gloves, it is go time.

?We came together to fight. It is fight time. You want to do me dirty and then two minutes later you want to be my friend? This is the hurting business.

?Without the fourth round, he was going to get knocked out anyway. I was fighting stronger. I was keeping my composure and sticking to the game plan.

?We were breaking him down. I listened to what my corner said.

?Floyd Mayweather isn?t ducking and dodging anybody. If he [Ortiz] wants it, he can have it [a rematch].

?If he [Ortiz] felt like it was a fluke and it didn?t get done right the first time, I would do it again.

?He was slowly breaking down as each round went. He was going to go anyway.

?Once you put me in that squared circle, I am home.

?I am never going to get a fair shake, but whoever you put in front of me; they can?t beat me.

?I take my hat off to Victor Ortiz. He is still a champion in my eyes. Tough guy tough opponent, but I was the better man.

?I said I was going to go straight to him and that is what I did.

?I just say what goes around, comes around. Things happen in this sport and like I said, they say protect yourself at all times.

?Pacquiao is famous because he is attached to my name. When they say Pacquiao, they say that?s the guy they are trying to get to fight Floyd Mayweather. When they say Floyd Mayweather ? they say the greatest ever.

?How can you [Pacquiao] offer me anything? I do the offering. He has to get his business in order. When he fights, he gives up 30 percent of his check, I get 100 percent.?

Ortiz Quotes:

?I fouled Floyd, I apologized in the ring and apologized after the fight as well. I would really like the rematch.

?I thought the ref called a break and I am pretty sure he did and then I was like ?whoa, whoa,? and then I woke up after.

?You learn quite a bit from each fight individually, but I am still not convinced that he [Mayweather] is the greatest. I was doing just fine and then there was a little slip up.

?He put his hand up. I thought it was sportsmanship-like.

?I was warming up. It was the fourth round and that is just the beginning of a 12 round fight.

?Stuff happens. I got caught up. We were going for it.

?I think Berto was faster, but his [Mayweather's] speed was decent.

?He landed a good one. It was a good shot.

?I started it, but I got my point taken away.

?I was letting him come in because he wasn?t hurting me at all. He doesn?t have a stiff right.

?I am fine. I will be champion again. Within the next six months, I will be champion again.

?Every fight has its game plan. I was listening to the corner. Whatever they said, I executed little by little.

?I was looking at Joe. I thought he said ?break,? and BOOM ? I guess it was time for bed.

?Floyd is an elusive fighter. He comes in very strong the first few rounds and keeps that same momentum throughout the fights.

?In this case he connected with what I believe was a foul.?

Very true, but Ortiz was just being apologetic and respectful, then Mayweather cheap shots him twice for the win. He didn't need to do that to win; he was owning Ortiz for most of the fight, so instead, he takes the easy way out, and in come the fixing comments, bolstered by the fact that Joe Cortez was looking away when the first cheap shot landed.

I can see this argument, I can. He was no doub clearly winning the fight up until that point, and even with that little flurry before the head butt, Ortiz had not done anything that actually hurt him. It was not a class move, no doubt about it, but they are boxing at the end of the day, something that is pretty damn brutal.

I will say this, Floyd without a doubt seized the opportunity he was given. He, despite his absolute arrogance, is pretty damn calculated, and he is always talking about making sure he is "entertaining the fans." So part of me does believe he knows how cheap it actually was, but I also definitely feel he saw an opportunity and took it. He knew people would be talking about this whole fiasco. At the end of the day, cheap or not, it was actually a pretty smart move on his behalf. More people than normally would are discussing boxing now, this fight in particular, because of his decision to do this. As the old saying goes, there is no such thing as bad press.

The prospect of a fight between Mayweather and Filipino Manny Pacquiao seems as distant as ever. Mayweather said: "I don't need Pacquiao. Where was Pacquiao in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 when I was dominating the game?

"He never asked me (for a fight) when I was in my twenties or when I was in my teens."

Manny Pacquiao needs to keep on fighting because he's pretty much broke. Should have learned from Tyson. A Pacquiao vs. Mayweather would pay maybe 100 million each but Mayweather makes too much money by beeing undefeated that he won't risk it (altough I think he would win).

• 2 weeks later...

Barker got taught a lesson last night :( but there is no way I would put Sergio up there as the third best P4P fighter in the world!

• 2 weeks later...
Britain's former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye has announced his retirement from boxing.

Haye, who turned 31 on Thursday, always said he would not fight on past the age of 30."It has been my intention to retire from boxing on this day ever since I first laced up my gloves as a skinny 10-year-old," Haye said in a statement.

Haye's last fight was against Wladimir Klitschko on 2 July, when he lost his WBA title in Hamburg.

And he says he already has plans for life outside the ring.

"I want to go into acting," Haye told Sky News. "That will be my next calling. There are some things in the pipeline. I want to have the same success in my acting career as I did in my boxing career.

"I have been offered a few things but nothing concrete. I am sure I can act well."

Anyone here hear about Dewey Bozella? He was a former amateur boxing champion who was wrongly imprisoned for 26 years for a murder he didn't commit. Now, a free man, and 52 years old, he won his first professional fight last night. :)

box_g_bozella11_600.jpg

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7108941/dewey-bozella-relentlessness-again-pays-off

If you want your dreams to come true, it has been said, the first thing you must do is wake up.

Dewey Bozella got a chance to live his dream Saturday night. He got a chance to step into the ring for a professional fight at the age of 52 after being wrongfully imprisoned for 26 years for a murder he didn't commit.

It was boxing that had given him the discipline to fight for his freedom at Sing Sing Correctional Facility. It was boxing that attracted the ESPYs to present him with the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage. It was light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins who saw Dewey's story and invited him into his training camp. And it was Oscar De La Hoya who helped get Dewey licensed, and Golden Boy promotions that got him a spot on the undercard of the championship card at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Nobody was going to compare this fight to "The Thrilla In Manila." Dewey was paired with a cruiserweight named Larry Hopkins, who had lost all three of his previous fights and hadn't made it past the third round in any of them. But still, his opponent was two decades younger. And Dewey hadn't been the light heavyweight champion in Sing Sing for 20 years.

He'd had only had five weeks to get in shape. He hadn't even had a chance to break in his boxing shoes. Life was moving too fast. He got a wish-you-well phone call from President Obama in his hotel room and was left with his hand over his forehead, shaking in wonderment.

As he walked out of his dressing room to enter the ring, he thought, "This is it. This is what you wanted. Now you've got it."

And he did get it. Dewey got clipped with a wild, looping right hand over the left cheek in the first round, leaving an angry red welt. That was his first wake-up call.

The crowd was all for him. How could it not be? Dewey received standing ovations at the colleges where he spoke. And he had even received a standing ovation from boxing writers at a press conference earlier in the week. He threw jabs and, as Rounds 2 and 3 passed, tried to find an opponent who seemed content to bide his time and throw roundhouse punches.

It was the fourth round when Dewey fully awoke and realized that his dream was coming to a close. His opponent was the tired one. He saw an opening and went for it. "I gotta end this big," he thought.

As Dewey advanced and threw combinations, Hopkins' mouthpiece must have fallen out six times. It might have been a mouthpiece that didn't fit right, but a dropped mouthpiece is also the sign of somebody who doesn't want to fight. Dewey kept moving forward, pushing Hopkins against the ropes, firing punches. It was naked will and determination. It was what got him his freedom.

The fight ended with Hopkins' mouthpiece flying up in the air, and Dewey clobbering him with a right hand. The one thing that will be remembered about the fight is that Dewey kept on coming until the end.

The three judges all voted for Dewey. Max Kellerman of HBO did a congratulatory interview for the crowd. Junior welterweight champion Erik Morales was waiting on the way to the dressing room for a photo.

Dewey will now go on and inspire people with speeches. His foundation will help raise money so that he can build a gym and help kids in Newburgh, which one magazine recently called "The Murder Capital of New York."

Never give up -- that's the message Dewey wanted people to take from him, and it's the message that was taken.

Dewey Bozella retires undefeated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Reviving the thread...

Anyone else see this? Dereck Chisora officially branded himself a c*** after that, and even though he is British, I really hope Wladimir Klitschko knocks him out tomorrow night. It almost certainly won't happen, as we all know Klitschko relies on the good old "stick and move" technique, but you never know...

Dereck Chisora's attitude after the fight was another nail in coffin for boxing. What a beligerant dumbass. As for Vitali Klitschko, he'll be the champ for many, many years to come unless there is a second coming of a powerful HW like Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis. Because if you can't KO him (and he's extradionarily tough), you're going to lose on points.

• Like 1

Dereck Chisora's attitude after the fight was another nail in coffin for boxing. What a beligerant dumbass. As for Vitali Klitschko, he'll be the champ for many, many years to come unless there is a second coming of a powerful HW like Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis. Because if you can't KO him (and he's extradionarily tough), you're going to lose on points.

Spot-on. (Y) I must have zoned out during the fight for a bit, because after I totaled up my scorecard, I had it 116-115 to Chisora. :p Realistically, Klitschko definitely won, but I don't think he won by as big a margin as the judges gave him. Hopefully now we'll definitely see Vitali take on David Haye after the post-fight coverage; Haye's up for it, Vitali's up for it, if Haye's to be believed, the only thing stopping the fight from happening is Vitali's manager.