General Boxing Thread!

Bob Arum says Mayweather vs Pacquiao could happen in 2014

"On our side the answer is yes [the fight can be made in 2014], we're very open to it. There are ways it can get done, they have to dumb down the rhetoric, we are prepared to dumb down the rhetoric and get it done. There is no real impediment to having that fight happen whether it will or not depends completely on the Mayweather side. I can see it happening but I can't predict that it will happen because it takes two to tango."

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/11/21/5130150/bob-arum-says-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-could-happen-in-2014-but-it-will

Bob Arum says Mayweather vs Pacquiao could happen in 2014

"On our side the answer is yes [the fight can be made in 2014], we're very open to it. There are ways it can get done, they have to dumb down the rhetoric, we are prepared to dumb down the rhetoric and get it done. There is no real impediment to having that fight happen whether it will or not depends completely on the Mayweather side. I can see it happening but I can't predict that it will happen because it takes two to tango."

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/11/21/5130150/bob-arum-says-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-could-happen-in-2014-but-it-will

Oh, NOW you talk about it? Sorry, the window is pretty much closed unless Manny picks up a couple more alfabetti-soup titles.

Oh, NOW you talk about it? Sorry, the window is pretty much closed unless Manny picks up a couple more alfabetti-soup titles.

The WBA are creating a special belt for the weekend :rofl:

It's like Tyson all over again. He made a fortune fighting but bled money like it was going out of style. Either he continues to fight or he's bankrupt.

I didn't realise George Foreman is worth over $250m :|

you would think someone who would bleed money is "Money" Mayweather with his lifestyle

I didn't realise George Foreman is worth over $250m :|

you would think someone who would bleed money is "Money" Mayweather with his lifestyle

George Foreman Grill money, baby. Mayweather's income to lavish spending ratio is a fraction of Pacquiao's. Mayweather likes to gamble a bit (and often wins, check his twitter/instagram), has a relatively small entourage, some flashy cars, but he isn't trying to prop up a whole country that's stricken by natural disasters and poverty by himself. Manny is AND he's running for political office and his wife too AND he has a MASSIVE entourage. Kind of like Tyson, who was giving Ferraris to his "friends" like it was candy.

Manny Pacquiao (145) vs. Brandon Rios (146.5) - Welterweight (147 lbs)

Evgeny Gradovich (125.75) vs. Billy Dib (126) - Featherweight (126 lbs)

Andy Ruiz Jr. (257.8) vs. Tor Hamer (220) - Heavyweight

Zou Shiming (111.5) vs. Juan Toscano (110) - Flyweight (112 lbs)

Felix Verdejo (134.5) vs. Duanaaymukdahan Petchsamuthr (136.5) - Lightweight (135 lbs)

*Petchsamuthr has 2 hours to get down to the 135 pound limit.

Almost everyone made weight. Let's see how it goes...

The special WBA belt created for this fight only

1385220207.jpg

Just what they needed, a new belt.

Also Nike signature shirt vs. WHAT?

...well, the referee royally screwed up what was a cracking fight between Froch and Groves. He was incompetent all throughout (not breaking them up quick enough, letting Groves get away with rabbit punches, etc.), but that ######ed up stoppage was the cherry on top. Groves was winning, he hadn't been knocked down (he scored the only knockdown of the fight). As much as I hate Groves, he got screwed tonight.

Manny wins, I still feel it's not enough to face Money

It all depends on the garanteed ammounts. I think that PPV would sell, maybe even hit 3 million buys. But the garanteed ammounts would doom it from the start. Mayweather would start at at LEAST 100 million dollars PLUS PPV points.

Apparently Froch says "the referee saved Groves career" :rofl:

In a way, he has done; most viewers (me included) went into the fight hating Groves and rooting for Froch, but it effectively ended with a double turn after the screwjob ending from the ref (apologies for the wrestling terms), so you could say he has saved his career. :P

Boxing champion Manny Pacquiao has revealed that authorities have frozen all his domestic bank accounts over allegations of unpaid taxes from lucrative fights in the United States, crippling him financially.

The millionaire Filipino sporting superstar said the move meant he had been forced to borrow money to fulfil pledges to help victims of the devastating super typhoon in the Philippines, which has claimed more than 5,000 lives.

Pacquiao, 34, has branded as "harassment" the freeze order issued by the Philippines' Bureau of Internal Revenue.

The shock announcement came just days after Pacquiao made a victorious return to the boxing ring, with a unanimous points decision win over American opponent Brandon Rios in Macau.

Pacquiao dedicated his first victory in two years to the victims of Typhoon Haiyan, which will only fuel his popularity among millions of ordinary Filipinos who idolise the fighter.

The former eight-division world champion is now eyeing more lucrative fights in the United States.

He also has a political career in the Philippines, where he is a second-term congressman with ambitions of eventually becoming president.

Pacquiao said the tax office took the action because it believed he had evaded paying 2.2 billion pesos (?31m) in taxes on his fights in the United States in 2008 and 2009, when he was at the peak of his career and earning tens of millions of dollars.

He said he had broken no laws because he had already paid taxes on those earnings in the United States, which has a treaty with the Philippines that allows citizens of both countries avoid double taxation.

However, he said the tax bureau had rejected the documents he provided as proof that he had already paid the money.

"I am not a criminal or a thief. I am not hiding anything. I will face my problems as they come," Pacquiao said.

"I have already paid my taxes in America. Had I not paid the correct taxes they (US authorities) would have come after me and I would not have been able to travel there."

http://news.sky.com/story/1173875/manny-pacquiao-has-bank-accounts-frozen

I think every boxer should be forced to watch the MC Hammer episode of Behind the Music before embarking on a pro career.