510 replies to this topic

#241 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 16:20

Manny Pacquiao will not give up boxing, despite pleas from family

Manny Pacquiao is ignoring pleas from his mother and wife to stop boxing following his defeat by Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez.

The former eight-division world champion was knocked out by Marquez in the sixth round of their non-title fight in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Pacquiao, 33, listened to his wife Jinkee and mother Dionisia make tearful appeals for the Filipino to quit.

But he said: "I'm looking forward to a rest and then I'll be back to fight."

The defiant stance is at odds with the wishes of his wife Jinkee.

In a television interview she said: "When you see your husband get hurt, you cannot even sleep."

And when asked if she wanted her husband to retire from boxing, she said: "You know the answer to that. He knows what I am asking him."

Pacquiao's mother Dionisia made a separate appeal to her son, asking him to give up boxing and concentrate on his other interests - including his work as a congressman, hosting a television game show and Bible preaching.

"I have long asked you son, it is time to retire because you started boxing at such a young age. I always pray that he will stop. I asked God to tell my son to stop," she said.

Pacquiao, who started fighting professionally at the age of 16, insists his defeat was not a sign of a decline in his ability.

He added: "I am OK. I just got over-confident in this fight. That is part of the game - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose."

The knockout was Pacquiao's second successive defeat after a controversial loss to Timothy Bradley in June. That was his first defeat in seven years and came despite the Filipino fighter landing 94 more punches.

Mexican Marquez, 39, floored Pacquiao to record his first win over the Filipino in their four-match rivalry. Pacquiao had won the previous two encounters, with one drawn.

#242 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,315 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 11 December 2012 - 00:26

He really can't. He's completely broke. A true Mike Tyson story.

#243 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:34

Posted Image

Froch vs Kessler could be a MOTY candidate if it lives to hype!

#244 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,315 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:55

Posted Image

It won't.

#245 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 19:47

It won't.

:rofl:

#246 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:25

IBF welterweight Devon Alexander pulled out of his scheduled February 23 fight against mandatory challenger Kell Brook on Monday, citing a biceps injury. Now it looks like Alexander-Brook is on the backburner as Alexander is now now close to a May 4 showdown with Floyd Mayweather, according to Floyd himself. It was expected that Mayweather would face either Robert Guerrero or Canelo Alvarez, so it’s possible Alexander is being used as a bargaining chip.

#247 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:23

Posted Image

Undefeated eight-time world champion Floyd "Money" Mayweather, boxing's pound-for-pound king and the highest paid athlete in the world, has entered into a groundbreaking pay-per-view deal with Showtime Networks Inc. and its parent company, CBS Corporation. Under the new deal, SHOWTIME PPV® will collaborate with CBS Corporation to comprehensively promote Mayweather's events on the CBS Television Network and via the corporation's expansive media platforms.

The deal, a unique revenue-sharing arrangement between SHOWTIME PPV and Mayweather, will enable him to fight up to six times over a period of 30 months, with the first mega-event taking place on May 4, 2013, when Mayweather will fight Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero. More details of this upcoming event will be announced shortly.

Mayweather's new deal is by far the biggest in the sport of boxing (specific financial details are contractually confidential). Mayweather is the PPV king and averages over 1 million PPV buys per event, which is the highest PPV buy average of any boxer in history. At this record-setting PPV performance level, if all six fights contemplated by this deal occur, it will be the richest individual athlete deal in all of sports.

#248 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:22

David Price, another British Heavyweight who is a disappointment :(

Posted Image

in other news Audley Harrison won Prizefighter :/

Posted Image

#249 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:40

Posted Image

Wladimir Klitschko will defend his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles against former sparring partner Francesco Pianeta in Mannheim on 4 May.

Ukraine's Klitschko, 36, is making the 14th defence of his second stint as a world heavyweight champion.

Pianeta, who is from Italy but resides in Germany, is undefeated in 29 professional fights, with one draw.
"Many see me as an outsider but I will knock Klitschko out and turn the world of boxing on its head," said Pianeta.

Victory over the 28-year-old Pianeta would probably see Klitschko fight Alexander Povetkin in the autumn, although the unbeaten Russian has avoided fighting Klitschko in the past.
Klitschko's last victory was a unanimous decision over Mariusz Wach in November.

Wladimir's older brother Vitali holds the WBC title while Britain's David Haye and Tyson Fury are ranked in the top 10 by the WBA, IBF and WBO.

#250 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,315 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:41

He's going to get decisioned so hard it won't even be funny.

#251 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:08

Posted Image

48-year-old former two-division champion Bernard Hopkins (53-6-2, 32 KOs) broke his own record as the oldest man to win a major world boxing championship with a twelve round unanimous decision over previously unbeaten IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-1, 19 KOs) before a crowd of 12,293 on Saturday night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. It was a typical slow-paced, tactical Hopkins fight full of wrestling and holding, which is just the way the sly old fox Hopkins likes it. Cloud was cut over the left eye in round six and it was ruled to be by a head butt by referee Earl Brown, however replays showed the cut came from a punch. The 31-year-old Cloud simply couldn’t figure out a way to do much to Hopkins. Scores were 116-112, 117-111, 116-112.

#252 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 17:21

The day after his legendary trackdown and visit to a Twitter troll, which was followed by thousands on social media in real time, former British super lightweight champion Curtis Woodhouse was enjoying his worldwide internet celebrity status. Articles on his exploit appeared in media all over the world including The Guardian, The Mirror, Huffington Post, New York Daily News, USA Today, Daily Mail and dozens of others. He was applauded by boxers Lennox Lewis, Kell Brook, Ryan Rhodes and many others.

Apparently this troll, who has now deleted his Twitter posts, has been targeting other athletes and celebrities. The Mirror tracked him down again.

The header for Woodhouse’s Tweeter feed (which now has thousands of new followers) reads: Former pro footballer retired at 26 to try my luck in the boxing ring, in my spare time I get in my car and track down trolls!

http://www.fightnews...e-update-177576

#253 Scar

Scar

Neowinian

• 195 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 13 March 2013 - 17:35

Posted Image

Regardless of outcome, this will surely be a great fight. I'm picking Froch by stoppage.

#254 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:15

Posted Image

Lightning struck twice for Tim Bradley, winning a second consecutive unpopular decision before a small but exhilarated crowd at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, Saturday night on HBO World Championship Boxing. Bradley, (30-0, 12 KOs), and his opponent, unheralded Ruslan Provodnikov, (22-2, 15 KOs), put on a show for the ages, going toe-to-toe throughout the fight in between short stretches of high-stakes cat and mouse. The fight ended with Bradley taking a knee under withering pressure from Provodnikov, but having won enough rounds early to earn a unanimous decision by scores of 114-113, 114-113, and an unfairly wide 115-112 (eight rounds to four). Although the decision was roundly booed at ringside, Bradley did win several rounds and the overall result was not unjust.

Posted Image

#255 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,828 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 16:13

Manny Pacquiao could face Juan Manuel Marquez in September

Former seven-weight world champion Manny Pacquiao plans to fight again in September, but not in the United States because of tax reasons.

A spokesperson for the boxer said negotiations are ongoing for a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez, who knocked out Pacquiao in December.

Singapore, Macau and Dubai are possible venues for Pacquiao's next outing.

Pacquiao, 34, is running for re-election as a congressman in next month's Philippines mid-term elections.

"We will talk about the opponent and the place after the 13 May elections," said Rose Tamayo.

Last June, Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight crown to American Timothy Bradley on a controversial decision before being knocked out in spectacular fashion by Marquez.

The defeats prompted calls for him to retire, but Pacquiao has consistently signalled his intention to keep on fighting.

Marquez would be the obvious opponent for his September comeback, with Pacquiao leading their four-fight series 2-1, with one fight drawn.