510 replies to this topic

#271 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 07 May 2013 - 13:53

Manny Pacquiao to face Brandon Rios in Macau in November

Manny Pacquiao will return to the ring after an 11-month absence when he faces Brandon Rios in Macau on 24 November.

Former seven-weight world champion Pacquiao, once rated as the best pound for pound boxer in the world, was knocked out in the sixth round by Juan Manuel Marquez in December .

In his previous fight the Philippines boxer lost his WBO welterweight title to Tim Bradley in June 2012.

Pacquiao is not fighting in the United States for tax reasons.

"People know what Rios brings to the table," Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com.

"People want to see a real fight, and that is what you get with Rios. We're building a business in Macau and China and these are the kinds of fights - real action fights - that they want to see."

Former WBA lightweight champion Rios, 27, lost to Mike Alvarado at light-welterweight in his most recent bout in March.

#272 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,407 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 07 May 2013 - 14:19

and Klitschko stopped another waste of time pretender in 4 rounds.

6, actually, but yeah, it was pretty bad. The heavyweight division has been a joke for the past several years with the Klitschkos dominating. And we'll never get to see them face each other, so the division will never recover until they both retire. Vitali will probably retire first, and that'll allow Wladimir to become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis (oh, how I long for those glory days to return :( ). Britain doesn't really have a heavyweight prospect at the moment, sadly. David Haye took on Wladimir and lost, Dereck Chisora took on Vitali, then Haye, and lost both of those. David Price lost his last fight in frankly a shock TKO to Tony Thompson back in February (the rematch is set for July 6th). And Tyson Fury is a joke. I actually want to see him get a fight with either one of the Klitschkos, so then he can finally shut up and get knocked out by them.

You know things are dire when 6 of your country's top 10 heavyweights are over 30, and 2 of them are in their 40s... :/

#273 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 15:13

I agree, the HW division is a massive joke

I am looking forward to Haye vs Charr because I think its going to be close Haye

#274 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,314 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 07 May 2013 - 20:11

Early speculation has Mayweather vs Guerrero doing 'well under' one million PPV buys

Seeing how Mayweather got 30 million for that sparring session, ouch.

#275 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 20:52

Early speculation has Mayweather vs Guerrero doing 'well under' one million PPV buys

Seeing how Mayweather got 30 million for that sparring session, ouch.

Yeah just read that, Showtime is going to lose heavily on this one

#276 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,314 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 07 May 2013 - 23:07

Doesn't he have a ridiculous guaranteed pay with the PPV cut being the icing on the million dollar cake?

#277 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 00:50

Official: Deontay Wilder To Face Dereck Chisora June 15th At Wembley

Over this past weekend, Hall of Fame British promoter Frank Warren wrote about how he had made Deontay Wilder’s promotional team Golden Boy a big offer to come back to the UK and fight former British champ Dereck Chisora. Well, despite news breaking at the start of the week that the unbeaten “Bronze Bomber” had been released on bail for assault, the fight is now all set to go.

As reported by Boxing News, Wilder, 28-0(28) will face “Del Boy,” 16-4(10) at Wembley Arena on June 15th. Also on Warren’s show will be Frankie Gavin against Denton Vassell as welterweight and the super-middleweight showdown between Paul Smith and Tony Dodson. It will almost certainly be the heavyweight clash that grabs the most headlines.

Chisora claims he has wanted to fight Wilder “for two years,” and many fans also want to see the giant with the dynamite right hand tested. This test should come on June 15th. Chisora is his usual confident self:

“I first saw Wilder two years ago and I said to my trainer it would be a great fight for me,” Chisora said. “ He has been protected but not anymore.”

Wilder-Chisora will be scheduled for ten-rounds.

--
Cotto eyes $10 million purse against Canelo

Three-time world champion in different divisions Miguel Cotto reportedly could earn a purse of $10 million in a September 14th showdown against undefeated WBC/WBA 154-pound champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. The fight would be a production of Canelo Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions so the negotiations to reach a financial agreement shouldn’t present problems given Cotto’s close relationship with Oscar de la Hoya, President of GBP. Although Cotto has lost his last two fights, his market value hasn’t diminished dramatically due to how close the fights were against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and then Austin Trout.

#278 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,407 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:52

Hmm, from what I've just seen of Deontay Wilder on YouTube, I think it's safe to say Del Boy is doomed. :p

#279 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:54

Hmm, from what I've just seen of Deontay Wilder on YouTube, I think it's safe to say Del Boy is doomed. :p

28-0 (28 kos) yep he's doomed :rofl:

#280 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,407 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:01

Might be jumping the gun here, but maybe Wilder could actually stand a chance against one of the Klitschkos? He's the same height as Vitali at 6' 7" (Wladimir is 6' 6"), and he's got a longer reach than both of them at 84" (Wladimir's 81", and Vitali's 79"). And looking at his past fights, he's definitely got some powerful punches in him. If he fought one of them, I'd bet at the very least he scores a knockdown.

#281 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:11

Might be jumping the gun here, but maybe Wilder could actually stand a chance against one of the Klitschkos? He's the same height as Vitali at 6' 7" (Wladimir is 6' 6"), and he's got a longer reach than both of them at 84" (Wladimir's 81", and Vitali's 79"). And looking at his past fights, he's definitely got some powerful punches in him. If he fought one of them, I'd bet at the very least he scores a knockdown.

He has a chance but Wilder has always been fed jobbers and people who he is expected to batter, look at his last fight against Fraudley Harrison and he battered him in 70 seconds

#282 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,740 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:16

Can he actually be clever when boxing though or is he a bit like Ricky Hatton? as in he has no real tactics.

#283 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:20

#284 OP Damien R.

Damien R.

XXX

• 120,587 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:57

Golden Boy Promotions has denied that their fighter Deontay Wilder will face Dereck Chisora on June 15 in London as announced by Chisora’s promoter Frank Warren. Wilder may not be allowed out of the country due to pending felony charges.

#285 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,407 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:59

Can he actually be clever when boxing though or is he a bit like Ricky Hatton? as in he has no real tactics.

Good question. Going from his fight with A-Farce, I'd go with the latter.