General Boxing Thread!

OMG! Shock horror! Manny Pacquiao...

... Won.

As if anything else was gonna happen really! Just amazes me how he is just steam rolling the top fighters in the division. THAT fight really needs to happen. Fix up Floyd! The fans deserve to see you 2 get it on!

Was a stinker. At least the next Marquez fight is promising.

OMG! Shock horror! Manny Pacquiao...

... Won.

As if anything else was gonna happen really! Just amazes me how he is just steam rolling the top fighters in the division. THAT fight really needs to happen. Fix up Floyd! The fans deserve to see you 2 get it on!

It won't happen. Floyd makes too much money by being undefeated. Rumor has it that he wants 100 million to fight Pacquiao. Who do you think will pay that much?

Manny is crazy insane but then again I never saw him losing against Mosley...interesting that Manny came close to being the first man to stop Mosley.

David Haye labelled Wladimir Klitschko "a fraud" at a news conference in Hamburg to promote their world heavyweight unification fight.

Britain's WBA title-holder meets Ukraine's IBF and WBO champion at the Imtech Arena on 2 July.

"I've seen his style and seen what he does in the ring and he's a fraud," said the 30-year-old Haye.

"He wears big shoulderpads in his gown and picks guys who suit him perfectly, but I'm not fooled."

Haye had been due to fight Klitschko in June 2009 but was forced to withdraw with an injury, but the Englishman added that "the boxing gods have decided 2 July is the date I become unified champion".

"I looked into [Klitschko's] eyes for 20 minutes and visualised me destroying him," added Haye, who has 25 wins from 26 fights.

"I looked into his eyes and saw him beaten and broken. He's never fought anyone with my attributes, it's new territory for me and for him.

"He'll do what he always does. I've fought these 'robots' before - I've never lost, at amateur or professional level, to an eastern European fighter and that's not going to change now.

"He's got an impressive jab, I've seen him sicken people with it, but I don't believe the fight will go 12 rounds.

"Wladimir Klitschko's not tough enough, mentally or physically, no way - unless he gets a chin transplant, and with eight weeks I don't think there's time enough for that to heal.

"As soon as I let my hands go, the fight's over. I anticipate between 15,000 and 20,000 British fans coming over and they're going to see a knockout and a good show as well. He's getting destroyed.

"I know what he's about. I was watching this guy even when I was a cruiserweight, I believed I could knock him out even then.

"For the first time he's fighting someone who's healthy, he normally picks people who are injured or coming off a long lay-off. I'm a prime athlete in my peak coming off a nice long streak of spectacular victories.

"And I'm used to winning titles abroad - I went to Paris and beat the undisputed cruiserweight champion in Jean Marc Mormeck, I went to Germany and beat a 7ft 2in giant in Nikolay Valuev, who Wladimir and his brother [WBC title-holder Vitali] have been avoding for years.

"I'm someone who's going to mess with him, inside and outside of the ring, inside his head - he's in for a fight."

In a tense exchange, Klitschko, 35, offered his hand to Haye only for it to be refused, and the Ukrainian vowed to teach his rival "a lesson in respect" on 2 July.

Haye is making it harder and harder for me to keep rooting for him when he acts like an arrogant prick like today. I'm almost starting to side with Klitschko now.

Haye is making it harder and harder for me to keep rooting for him when he acts like an arrogant prick like today. I'm almost starting to side with Klitschko now.

yeah but he's always been like this...I just feel the more he does this the more fans he is alienating

yeah but he's always been like this...I just feel the more he does this the more fans he is alienating

And he isn't even really unifying anything. He still has to beat his brother for the remaining belt. Oh boxing :rolleyes:

And he isn't even really unifying anything. He still has to beat his brother for the remaining belt. Oh boxing :rolleyes:

Would be nice to see another undisputed heavyweight champion again. Lennox Lewis was the last one. Although if Haye beats Wladimir, and then goes on to beat Vitali, I bet he'll retire after that. Either that, or just one more fight after Vitali.

Would be nice to see another undisputed heavyweight champion again. Lennox Lewis was the last one. Although if Haye beats Wladimir, and then goes on to beat Vitali, I bet he'll retire after that. Either that, or just one more fight after Vitali.

It wouldn't really matter because the organizations would still be separate entities and it's against their financial interests to have an undisputed champion. They would weasel something out or just ask Haye to retire. And since they all have a lot of clout, they can keep going. Also sometimes these guys fight and don't put all their belts on the line like Manny who only put one of his collection of belts on the line against Mosley.

Still, Haye won't win.

yeah it would be nice but when Haye retires it all goes back to the brothers :rofl:

Britain's David Haye has continued the war of words with Wladimir Klitschko, criticising his opponent's fighting style and blaming him for "killing" the heavyweight division.

Haye will face Klitschko at the Imtech Arena in Germany on 2 July.

"I believe Wladimir Klitschko is solely responsible for killing the heavyweight division," said Haye at a news conference in London on Tuesday.

"He is manufactured and boring, that is why he needs to be eradicated."

But Klitschko hit back, vowing to knock out Haye when the pair meet in the ring.

"It will be an enjoyable night for me," said Klitschko, who has 49 knockouts from 58 fights.

"He has called me a bum, but he will be number 50 on the KO list."

It was the second news conference in two days for the pair as they work to promote a bout that will go some way towards unifying the world heavyweight title.

Haye, the WBA title holder, used the first news conference on Monday in Germany to label IBF and WBO champion Klitschko a "fraud" and the 30-year-old continued his tirade in London on Tuesday.

"We had our first public face-to-face on Monday and people said I was subdued," said Haye.

"It's unlike me, but the reason for this is because I am concentrating all my efforts on training so I can beat him conclusively and explosively.

"This could potentially be my last fight and I want to be superhuman on the night and make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. I want to be in perfect shape."

Klitschko accused Haye of lacking respect on Monday and the Londoner was in no mood to change the Ukrainian's opinion, again refusing to shake his opponent's hand during Tuesday's news conference.

"Maybe I don't have respect or class: we are two animals, two dogs in a fight, I'm a dog you can't control. I am a prime fighting machine," said Haye.

"He made some joke about my Twitter page... he's trying to come up with jokes and his personality is exactly how he fights - boring.

"That is exactly why he needs to be eradicated from the heavyweight division.

"Jab, jab, grab. Jab, jab, grab - that's all he does. On fight night his circuits will be blown.

"He's too slow, he's coming to a gun fight unarmed and he is going to get destroyed."

But 35-year-old Klitschko, who has lost three times in 58 fights, countered: "I will show you that you are no different to the other 49 people I have knocked out."

DeGale v Groves

Jean Pascal v Bernard Hopkins (WBC light-heavyweight).

Nathan Cleverly v Juergen Braehmer (WBO light-heavyweight)

James DeGale v George Groves (British/Commonwealth super-middleweight)

epic weekend of Boxing!

Nathan Cleverly's challenge for the WBO light-heavyweight title has been called off after champion Juergen Braehmer suffered an eye injury in training.

Braehmer, 32, was due to face Cleverly, 24, at London's 02 Arena on Saturday, but a cut eye suffered in training on 8 May has failed to heal.

The German won the WBO belt in 2009 and has made one defence but could now be stripped of his title.

If so, Cleverly - the interim champion - will be awarded the title by default.

Cleverly, who won the interim title in December after beating Nadjib Mohammedi on points, is unbeaten in 21 fights and was disappointed to see the fight called off.

"I am absolutely devastated, this was the fight I really wanted, I've been gunning for him for over a year now," Cleverly told Sky Sports.

"He is the champion, it is very unprofessional, he has ducked out of the fight as far as I'm concerned, the proof is now there that he doesn't want to fight me.

"Maybe I'll be elevated to the world champion and as far as I'm concerned I'm still going to be fighting on Saturday and my celebrations will start after that fight.

"I wanted this fight bad and he has let everyone down. I knew he didn't want the fight, I had a feeling he would not turn up. This is a major disappointment. He is an awesome fighter, he is getting paid well, why not come over and take the fight?"

The 02 Arena card will still go ahead, with the joint headline fight between British super-middleweight champion James DeGale and fierce rival George Groves the bigger draw anyway. It is still hoped that unbeaten Welshman Cleverly will fight on Saturday but his opponent is unknown.

Any fight for Cleverly on Saturday could be the first defence of his title.

Braehmer last fought in April 2010 and has 29 knockouts from 36 wins with two defeats.

Since that last fight the 32-year-old was involved in a long-running court case that could have seen him jailed for 16 months for assault and insulting behaviour.

But Braehmer was cleared this year following an appeal meaning the German kept his WBO title.

His stock is already low due having only defended his belt once since winning it in 2009 while also pulling out of a January unification fight with Beibut Shumenov.

Cleverly's father and trainer Vince led the calls for Braehmer to be stripped of his title but maintained the Cefn Forest fighter would still be well prepared for any fight on Saturday.

"We will offer no excuses and Nathan will be ready to fight," he added.

:(

It looks like Juan Manuel Marquez will get his long-awaited third fight with pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com that he made a deal with Marquez on Tuesday in Los Angeles for the lightweight champion to move up in weight to challenge Pacquiao for his welterweight title on Nov. 12.

Arum, however, still needs to make a deal with Pacquiao -- considered a formality -- before the fight is official.

If the fight is finalized, they would meet at a contract weight of 144 pounds, Arum said. Although the weight is three pounds below the welterweight division limit of 147, that isn't an issue.

"Manny has to eat extra meals just to weigh even 145 pounds," Arum said.

Pacquiao regularly weighs below 147 for his fights, and Marquez would be moving up from the 135-pound division. In 2009, in his only other welterweight fight, Marquez lost a lopsided decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr., who most would like to see Pacquiao face. Most believe it would be the biggest money fight in boxing history, but Mayweather has repeatedly declined the fight.

Barring a gargantuan offer elsewhere, Pacquiao-Marquez Round III will be at Las Vegas' MGM Grand, where Pacquiao-Marquez Round I took place and where Pacquiao scored an easy decision against Shane Mosley on May 7.

With the Pacquiao fight on the line, Arum said Marquez plans to take a tune-up against faded former lightweight titlist David Diaz (36-3-1, 17 KOs) on July 2 in Mexico City. Diaz lost his title to Pacquiao via a lopsided ninth-round knockout in 2008.

Marquez's own promotional company will put the card on, although Arum said Top Rank would help if needed. Arum said Marquez's deal for the Pacquiao bout permitted him an interim fight as long as it takes place by July 17.

"He's going to do that fight, and if he loses, he's out," Arum said.

Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) and Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KOs) have a rich history, battling twice in action-packed fights that ended in controversial decisions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6561253

Haye is making it harder and harder for me to keep rooting for him when he acts like an arrogant prick like today.

after today i like him more.

Commonwealth light-heavyweight champion Tony Bellew has stepped in to fight Nathan Cleverly for the WBO light-heavyweight title on Saturday.

Welshman Cleverly was left without an opponent after WBO belt-holder Juergen Braehmer pulled out on Wednesday, claiming to have an eye injury.

Cleverly will fight as champion at London's O2 Arena after the WBO stripped Braehmer of his belt.

"I'm really happy that Bellew will be in the opposite corner," he said.

"I knew we'd get it on one day and that day has come sooner than expected. I'm ready - he's going to get knocked out."

Bellew, who was in training for a rematch against Ovill McKenzie, said: "I'm coming down to London to fight and believe [me] when I say I'm going to knock Cleverly out cold."

The 28-year-old has won all 15 of his professional fights, with 10 of those victories coming via knock-outs.

"I wouldn't have put myself forward if I didn't think I could beat him," he said. "Two months notice or two day's notice, I know I can beat Cleverly."

Cleverly, 24, added: "Not only will Bellew feel my anger from Braehmer pulling out, but he'll now pay for slagging me off in the last year."

Promoter Frank Warren said: "The fight between Nathan and Tony has been brewing up in the last year and it's happened sooner than expected, but I'm delighted that it's on.

"There is nothing like big domestic fights - I'm expecting fireworks in the ring."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13444030.stm

yeah the whole fight has been a joke really...they should of cancelled it problem is the Groves vs DeGale fight needs to happen and that can't carry the PPV alone.

**** **** ****. Missed it, too busy catching a train.

Turned on radio as soon as win was announced. So knockout after 4 rounds?

**** **** ****. Missed it, too busy catching a train.

Turned on radio as soon as win was announced. So knockout after 4 rounds?

No, the ref stopped the fight, due to a big cut caused by a right uppercut.

Good thing you posted, because I forgot all about it! :p I'm watching it now. :)