General Boxing Thread!

The tricky part is that it isn't recognized by the other organizations who also have "world" titles. It's funny and sad at the same time when a fight is described as "WBA, WBO, IBF, IBO and The Ring Heavyweight titles on the line." That being said, I will follow the fight closely to see how it pans out.

Also: Kimbo Slice to Make Boxing Debut *For Real* on August 13 in Miami, Oklahoma :rofl:

Kimbo will be poor :rofl:

387873494.jpg

After more than a year away from the ring and the boxing media, pound for pound king and current welterweight Floyd Mayweather returned to the spotlight on Tuesday at the Hudson Theater in mid-town Manhattan to announce a September 17 bout with WBC 147-pound title-holder Victor Ortiz.

As has been the norm with Mayweather promotions in the past few years, the former champion was talkative, flamboyant and reflective as he spoke in promotion of the fight. Predictably, much of the talk surrounded a potential fight with fellow pound for pounder Manny Pacquiao.

?I just want to give the fans what they want; excitement,? said Mayweather (41-0, 25 KO?s). ?It?s not about the money. I?m going to make a ton of money?he?s (Ortiz) going to make some good money. Floyd Mayweather don?t duck or dodge anyone. Do I want the Pacquiao fight? Absolutely. If that?s what the fans want, I?ll give it to them. But one step at a time.?

The next step for Mayweather is Ortiz, a skilled champion who just won his belt in an action fight with Andre Berto in April. Ortiz, for his part, said he was unfazed by the hype surrounding his biggest assignment to date.

?Tell me one thing I haven?t already heard, man,? said Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KO?s). ?Thank you man, for giving me a shot. At the end of the day I don?t have anything bad to say about Mayweather. I?m just tired of ?you can?t do this, you can?t do that.? I don?t have anything to lose. The thing I have to my name is a damn Toyota. There?s no advantages on my behalf. He?s a great fighter.?

Asked if he felt Mayweather was possibly overlooking towards a showdown with Pacquiao, Ortiz said it?s possible. ?He can,? Ortiz said. ?But there?s only one problem. I?m fighting Pacquiao next. So he can, but I don?t know how that?s going to work for him.?

?Since I was nine years old I always said I was going to fight Mayweather one day,? Ortiz continued. ?I can get 100 grand, I?ll be happy with that. I just want Mayweather, period.?

Main event starting, with the most insane/awesome intro i've ever seen. :rofl:

I'll have to avoid this thread until tomorrow then. :cool:

Ended up watching the fight. Meh. UFC 132 will probably be way more interesting even if it brings in less views. Haye talked the talk but didn't walk the walk. Klitschko styled all over him in route to becoming the "undisputed" HW champion.

Well, I predicted Klitschko would win by unanimous decision in a snoozefest....

...and I was right. Haye was outclassed, pure and simple. He's like Nathan Cleverly, a cocky arrogant git who deserved to lose.

Sadly, the Heavyweight division is doomed, now that the Klitschko brothers hold all four major world titles. Hopefully, Dereck Chisora will finally get his chance at a world title. Haye took his chance after Wladimir's abdominal injury (and look how badly he cocked that up); it's only fair that Del Boy should be Wladimir's next opponent.

OK, I'm a bit confused about Haye's title. He was the WBA world heavyweight champion, right? Well, according to BoxRec, he still is, and that his WBA super world heavyweight title was on the line, which they're saying is now Klitschko's. Even though everyone else is saying it was the standard WBA title on the line. :wacko:

And before anyone says they just haven't updated it yet, they've already updated the site to say he's the new WBA Super World Heavyweight champion.

OK, I'm a bit confused about Haye's title. He was the WBA world heavyweight champion, right? Well, according to BoxRec, he still is, and that his WBA super world heavyweight title was on the line, which they're saying is now Klitschko's. Even though everyone else is saying it was the standard WBA title on the line. :wacko:

And before anyone says they just haven't updated it yet, they've already updated the site to say he's the new WBA Super World Heavyweight champion.

It's somehow the Super World title? Seems to be 2 different titles since Haye holds the WBA World HW title. Christ what a mess. Like I said before, this makes the WWE belt system look 100% legit and greatly designed.

so Haye lost....as everyone kind of thought he would because he's a massive ******** who talks a good fight but doesn't turn up.

HW division is now doomed because who the **** will beat those 2...and they won't fight each other which is dumb so yeah seems the MW is where its at

Well, I predicted Klitschko would win by unanimous decision in a snoozefest....

...and I was right. Haye was outclassed, pure and simple. He's like Nathan Cleverly, a cocky arrogant git who deserved to lose.

Sadly, the Heavyweight division is doomed, now that the Klitschko brothers hold all four major world titles. Hopefully, Dereck Chisora will finally get his chance at a world title. Haye took his chance after Wladimir's abdominal injury (and look how badly he cocked that up); it's only fair that Del Boy should be Wladimir's next opponent.

yeah but Derek has Tyson Fury next which could be set to be a borefest and if Chisora wins he will get the brothers and it will be more one sided then this one sadly...unless the brothers grimm retire nothing is going to change.

he will get the brothers and it will be more one sided then this one sadly...unless the brothers grimm retire nothing is going to change.

Yeah, sadly, you're right. :( They might as well give Holyfield a chance at one of them, seeing as he's got a world title at the moment, just not a major one.

When is FLoyd going to fight the pac man?! Thats my question!

When is FLoyd going to fight the pac man?! Thats my question!

Never, sadly. Mayweather's too scared to fight Pacquiao because he knows there's a good chance that he'd lose, which is why he keeps fighting smaller fighters to keep his undefeated streak intact.

Bit of a boring fight in the end, the only way that Haye was going to win was to go for the KO, and he didn't bother.

He talked the talked but couldn't walk the walk.

Although saying that, I can't see many people being able to beat the Klitschko brothers.

Never, sadly. Mayweather's too scared to fight Pacquiao because he knows there's a good chance that he'd lose, which is why he keeps fighting smaller fighters to keep his undefeated streak intact.

Mayweather said he is ready if he beats Ortiz

Will they pay him the 100 million he asks? (And I'll Mayweather Jr. over Manny on this fight).

Will they pay him the 100 million he asks? (And I'll Mayweather Jr. over Manny on this fight).

Mayweather will probably retire again once he has Ortiz's title :rofl:

Wladimir Klitschko's manager has ruled out a rematch between his fighter and David Haye but said a contest against brother Vitali Klitschko could happen.

Haye failed in his bid to unify the heavyweight division after a unanimous points decision defeat by Wladimir on Saturday in Hamburg's Imtech Arena.

"There's no chance of a rematch," Bernd Boente told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Wladimir will now move on. Vitali mentioned he would be interested in knocking Haye out."

Boent added: "The fight could happen later this year or at the beginning of next year."

Meanwhile, Boente stated that Wladimir was keen to fight the winner of the British and Commonwealth contest between Tyson Fury and Dereck Chisora in July at Wembley Arena.

"An interesting future opponent for him could be the winner of that fight," said the manager.

Klitschko has twice pulled out of voluntary defences against Chisora in the past eight months.

Meanwhile, Boente also branded Haye a "sour loser" after the British boxer said that a broken toe was partly to blame for his defeat.

"The injured toe is complete nonsense," added Boente.

"To talk about the injury means he's just a sour loser. You either take the fight or cancel it. You don't talk about that nonsense afterwards. Wladimir was disappointed about that. It was a one-sided fight."

He also believed that 30-year-old Haye "crossed the line" when it came to promoting the fight.

"He promoted the fight with all this trash talk. We talked to different journalists and they gave us a hug and said they hoped Wladimir would beat him," continued Boente.

"It's a question of crossing the line. Regular teasing of an opponent is OK, but T-shirts with pictures of decapitated heads is not."

Britain's David Haye is holding out hope of a rematch against Wladimir Klitschko after his points defeat by the Ukranian in Hamburg on Saturday.

Klitschko's manager has ruled out the possibility, but Haye believes a second fight would make sense for both camps.

"I'd love the opportunity to challenge for his titles," Haye told the BBC.

"Once he realises there's no other fighter in the heavyweight division that can generate as much interest as me, maybe he'll come back and say OK."

The Londoner battled for the full 12 rounds before losing by a unanimous decision after the three judges scored the fight 117-109, 118-108 and 116-110, all in Klitschko's favour.

Haye later revealed that he was troubled by a broken toe suffered three weeks before the bout, but has since admitted that his 35-year-old opponent "was just too good for me".

The result was that Klitschko added the WBA title to the IBF and WBO belts he already held, while the one remaining heavyweight strap - the WBC - is in the hands of his brother Vitali.

Haye is only interested in meeting a Klitschko before his planned retirement in October and, with the brothers refusing to fight each other, the Englishman is their only obvious opponent.

Their manager Bernd Boente branded Haye a "sour loser" after Saturday's defeat, but the 30-year-old said he is the only man who can bring the Klitschkos big money and interest.

No chance, Haye. You had your shot, and you blew it. Time for someone else to have a go. Probably not Chisora though, looking at the world rankings. We've got Wladimir at #1, and Vitali at #2. David Haye's #7, so there's four contenders above him: Tomasz Adamek, Robert Helenius, Eddie Chambers, and Tony Thompson. Dereck Chisora's at #9, so between him and David Haye, there's Alexander Dimitrenko.

Just looking at the recent records alone, I'd prefer to see either Adamek or Helenius take on Wladimir, as like Wladimir, they've both won their last six matches. Their winning streaks are actually quite bigger than that. Adamek's on a 13 win streak with a total record of 44-1, and Helenius is currently undefeated at 15-0. They both fought in April too, so they're probably be ready to fight Wladimir if they got offered it. :)

Adamek would be a great challenger he's a classy boxer but he's like Haye I believe won everything at CW if thats the guy I am thinking of

Adamek would be a great challenger he's a classy boxer but he's like Haye I believe won everything at CW if thats the guy I am thinking of

Well, the first world title he won was the WBC light heavyweight title; he made two successful defences, then lost on the third defense. Then he move up to cruiserweight, won the IBF cruiserweight title (not a major title though), defended it twice, then vacated it and moved up to heavyweight, won the IBF International heavyweight title, then also won the WBO NABO heavyweight title, and he still holds both those titles (he's defended the IBF International title five times, and the WBO NABO title three times).

And I failed to look properly at his page, because he's set to fight Vitali Klitschko in September for his WBC heavyweight title. If he wins, maybe he'll get to face Wladimir next year?

And turns out I screwed up with Helenius too, as he's set to fight Siarhei Liakhovich in August.

I better check the others... Eddie Chambers: Last fought in February, hasn't got an upcoming fight yet. And he actually lost to Wladimir back in March 2010 by KO in the 12th. Tony Thomas: Last fought in May, no upcoming fights, lost to Wladimir as well, but back in July 2008, also by KO, but in the 11th. And Alexander Dimitrenko: Last fought in March, and he's set to defend his European heavyweight title against Michael Sprott in August. I'll remember to watch that one. :) Maybe Michael Sprott can do what David Haye couldn't do and win in Hamburg? :p