Do You Root/Jailbreak Your Device

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Root/Jailbreak Your Device?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I Know How, But Don't Want To.
    • What Is Rooting/Jailbreaking?
  2. 2. What OS is Running on Your Device?

• Android
    • iOS
    • Blackberry
    • Symbian
    • Windows Mobile/WP7
    • Other
    • Don't Know

Yep definitively. The last i device I had was a 1st gen iPod Nano, with some modding it could run linux, videos, doom and a few other apps/features. I've currently got a Nexus One and chose this for its easy ability to root and for the dev following. Flash addict here :p

Not yet, I've got a galaxy S and the version of Android is fine on there so far as I'm concerned atm, however if Samsung drop support or keep dragging their heels I suspect I will be rooting my phone

I don't jailbreak my iPhone, there just is nothing gained by doing it for what I want - calls, texts and the internet. :p

YES

I'm an iPhone user, not an iPhone fanboy.

I have many reasons to be on iOS and right now, I see no way to switch to Android or another platform.

iOS is the platform that gets the best software and game support so I stick to it.

But, I can't live on iOS without Jailbreaking it and modding it MY way, specially that I paid my iPhone 4 outright, it's MINE.

Jailbreakers got many features found in current iOS WAY before Apple implemented them. Even if they were unpolished and not user friendly to use, we still got them before Apple.

Some of them:

- Apps before the AppStore

- Wallpapers before 4.0

- Folder before 4.0

- Tethering before 3.0

- Mobile hotspot before 4.3

- Spell-check before 3.0

- Multitasking before 4.0

- Background support for audio in apps before 4.0

- Skip and audio controls for apps like pendora before 4.0

- Copy and paste

- Many more...

Seriously, all OS makers should "allow but discourage and unsupport" modifications. Currently, only Palm/HP do this.

Android call himself "open" but recently, many phones have been built with securities to prevent any modifications.

Oh, and, Rooting or Jailbreak is not only for piracy...

Yes, Rooted my Backflip for a 2.1 Rom... and iPod Touch is Jailbroken... and when I get my iPad 2 that will also get jailbroken when it's available.

Did they add a brand new notification system? That alone would make me jailbreak for an alternative.

There's mobile notifier that let's you ignore notifications for later and puts them in a menu in the app switcher. It's in Peter Hajas repo "http://phajas.xen.prgmr.com/repo/" without quotes.

I root/jailbreak everything I own except my se w980 hmm might do that tonight :p I had my ipod for nearly two years before I jailbroke it then I was like where have you been all my life. Still not flashed any roms yet on my Android but when I do it will probably be the same why didn't I do this sooner.

When you buy a device its only half as good as it can be, to get the rest you've got xda-developers, modaco, the iPhone dev team and for the cool guys with Sony ericssons se-nse :p

Yep, rooted my Droid 1 so I could overclock it and stick custom ROMs on it. Gingerbread runs like a dream on it, thanks to ChevyNo1's ROMs.

I don't jailbreak my iPhone, there just is nothing gained by doing it for what I want - calls, texts and the internet. :p

one thing that benefits me greatly is to go beyond 8 tabs in safari mass preload for the win :p device just feels plain without jailbreak imo

Posted from an IPhone 3gs 3.0 on the 11th safari tab :p