'Gay cure' Apple iPhone app: more than 80,000 complain

If it sensed you having an erection, while looking at other males, it sent a shock to your body. :shifty: Then it reads you a Bible quote ...

Now that would have been some trick. :D

And it was pulled:

Apple pulls 'gay cure' iPhone app

I guess freedom of speech and expression only applies to homosexuals.

Tis a sad day when equality is not applied equally.

Now I wonder though... would Apple pull an app that promotes homosexuality or a way for homosexuals to connect if the religious complained vociferously?

You speak as if there are two equally valid viewpoints. Fear-induced hatred is not a positive thing for society.

And it was pulled:

Now I wonder though... would Apple pull an app that promotes homosexuality or a way for homosexuals to connect if the religious complained vociferously?

Plus, as has been said, a more important point is that this app did not do what it was advertised to.

And the world goes round. I guess gay's don't believe in freedom of expression? :rolleyes:

That's the problem with your country these days, too many people hide behind the US constitution to justify bigoted hate speech.

That's the problem with your country these days, too many people hide behind the US constitution to justify bigoted hate speech.

Now-a-days just saying you are against something = hate speech.

And it was pulled:

doublefacepalm.jpg

doublefacepalm.jpg

Yeah, I suppose if you don't have a rational response to a logical question, the next best thing is to face-palm.

You speak as if there are two equally valid viewpoints. Fear-induced hatred is not a positive thing for society.

Validity of viewpoint has nothing to do with it; it's the "right" to express the viewpoint in question here.

One side, the homosexual side, has managed to repress the other, the religious side; the religious side has a right to express their view as much as the homosexual side has a right to express theirs. As much as the gays don't want their right to freedom of speech and expression trampled on, so does the religious have the same rights.

So, if the gays post an app saying homosexuality is okay and everyone should embrace the concept, are the religious just as able to have that app removed?

Yeah, I suppose if you don't have a rational response to a logical question, the next best thing is to face-palm.

Because you seem to be confusing corporation with government. Because you seem to be confusing what a company decides to sell with liberty and equal rights.

Now-a-days just saying you are against something = hate speech.

There's a difference between saying you are against something and using Christian bigotry to tell people who are that way that there is something wrong with them

Forgetting all "free speech" crap and everything else, look at the most important fact... it didn't work and the "conversion" therapy it offered can even be harmful.

The research on such efforts has proven they don?t work, and has also indicated that they can be harmful. Based on this evidence, every major medical and mental health organization in the United States has issued a statement condemning the use of reparative therapy.

Therefore, I would say Apple was right in removing the app - it was promoting something that most health organisations in the US say is harmful and clearly does not work. So forget "free speech" for a start, because I don't think "free speech" should give anyone the right to harm others (I would say lie to others as well, but eh!).

Also Apple are protecting themselves, all it would have taken is for one gay guy to download this app, think they are doing something terribly wrong, attempting to change but failing, then committing suicide at the failure - and the family to sue. A far out example, but could have happened none the less - particularly given the recent deaths of homosexual guys in the US!

The app in your hypothetical scenario is different from the app in the OP. The latter promotes a pseudoscientific idea which debases homosexuals whereas the former advocates a particular way of life which doesn't harm anyone. It's not solely about freedom of speech, the issue is that the app victimises a section of the community. I meanthe founders of the organisation behind the app actually left it to live with each other after making two women miserable.

Because you seem to be confusing corporation with government. Because you seem to be confusing what a company decides to sell with liberty and equal rights.

Your point is lost.

Though I agree that a corporation, company or even an individual has the right to do what they want with whomever they choose irrespective of the product, service or whatever they sell, the general populace is convinced that rules, laws and regulations are applied equally and therfore Apple choosing to remove an app that 145,000 people out of the millions that use their product find offensive is a stab in the dark and a feeble attempt to get the people that reside within Apple's locale from defecting.

As harsh as that sounds, if Apple can keep the San Francisco area under their thumb, any product they release will be a profit.

Maybe you have to live near the "other" tech centers of the world (Los Angeles, San Diego, Salem, Portland, Phoenix, Brisbane, Kyoto, etc.) to see that, but I can't fault you for that if you don't.

So, if the gays post an app saying homosexuality is okay and everyone should embrace the concept, are the religious just as able to have that app removed?

Valid question I suppose.

I'm not gay and I'm not religious but I find that in general both of those groups are as intollerent as each other.

Your point is lost.

Though I agree that a corporation, company or even an individual has the right to do what they want with whomever they choose irrespective of the product, service or whatever they sell, the general populace is convinced that rules, laws and regulations are applied equally and therfore Apple choosing to remove an app that 145,000 people out of the millions that use their product find offensive is a stab in the dark and a feeble attempt to get the people that reside within Apple's locale from defecting.

As harsh as that sounds, if Apple can keep the San Francisco area under their thumb, any product they release will be a profit.

Maybe you have to live near the "other" tech centers of the world (Los Angeles, San Diego, Salem, Portland, Phoenix, Brisbane, Kyoto, etc.) to see that, but I can't fault you for that if you don't.

NYC area here.

So what you're saying is that this is an employee retention issue now? Or a local consumer awareness issue? You're starting to go in tangents now.

lol. lesbian cure, there isnt because they are gay too :laugh: :blink:

I'm male, by birth, and have chosen to identify myself as female due to my tendencies.

I like soft pillows, eye shadow, manicured nails, silk, long hair.

I am also in to masculine things like cars, rodeo, weight lifting and such.

Sorry, had to stop- was sounding more like a Craigslist personal ad....

Think about it.

I'm not gay and I'm not religious but I find that in general both of those groups are as intollerent as each other.

EXACTLY!!!

Thank you!

If you had as much hatred directed at you as is directed at homosexuals in the US, I don't think you'd be all that tolerant of it either to be honest. They're human beings and they don't deserve to be ridiculed and belittled because a bunch of narrow minded religious pinheads don't agree with what they do

So you can go to confession via a iPhone app, and now you can cure being gay with a iPhone app, Apple is just a one stop salvation platform isn't it?

That's exactly like asking what if moral obligations were raised against the official Facebook application, or an IMDb application (any application, really). The reason so many people are complaining about this is because Apple rated the application 4, which suggests there is no objectionable content, yet these people assert homosexuality can be cured, despite the fact it can't be, and the fact it is not a disease (or anything which needs to be cured). The application is full of hate for homosexuality and further fuels any intolerance toward it; furthermore, Apple accepting it as "no objectionable content" gives the message that it is acceptable to lie about homosexuality and value the idea that it is something which can?and needs to?be cured.

*snip*

To play devil's advocate for a moment, suggesting a cure for something =/= hating those who have it. Otherwise, there'd be a LOT of people out there who are hateful and intolerant towards cancer patients.

I know, that wasn't your point... but still :p

Let's make an app that makes black people more like white people.

Or on the flip side let's make an app that makes white people more like black people.

I'm not black or white but I find that in general both of those groups are as intollerent as each other.

If you had as much hatred directed at you as is directed at homosexuals in the US, I don't think you'd be all that tolerant of it either to be honest. They're human beings and they don't deserve to be ridiculed and belittled because a bunch of narrow minded religious pinheads don't agree with what they do

And using that repressed hatred, being intolerant, as a means to become equal to those who oppress is justified in what way?

There's a difference between saying you are against something and using Christian bigotry to tell people who are that way that there is something wrong with them

Real Christianity has no place for bigotry, I'd just like to point that out. There are way too many people misrepresenting it.

• Like 2

Let's make an app that makes black people more like white people.

Or on the flip side let's make an app that makes white people more like black people.

I'm not black or white but I find that in general both of those groups are as intollerent as each other.

So, you're suggesting something like this:

App for white people that plays 'black' songs and messages saying blacks are equal to whites

App for black people that plays 'white' songs and messages saying blacks are equal to whites.