'Gay cure' Apple iPhone app: more than 80,000 complain

See it's weird, while i have no problem with anyone being homosexual, but being called out as a homosexual shouldn't be a problem if that's what you are. If i'm male or hetero and someone makes fun of me for being male (like my girlfriends do all the time or female comics) you just laugh it off and whatever.I have a few gay friends (girls and guys, mainly girls - even been to the gay club with em! :D ) but if I were to believe that only men and women should be together and all that, they wouldn't hate me for it and i still wouldn't hate em for their choices either. I got freedom of speech and they do also, they can tell me to go screw myself just as easily or the choice to just ignore me. Now if I was going around killing gay people then obviously that's not legal so i should be tied up and raped and then shot a bunch of times by a bunch of gay people :wacko: LOL

In this case they are forcing their beliefs on other people by trying to kill off choice. If someone wants to make an app that says Gay people should die or print it in the newspaper or whatever then they are legally allowed to. If you are gay and feel threatened then that's different but just to say they aren't allowed to say bad things about gay people is the wrong part. I don't care who you are or what you do, If i think you suck and I want to say it then i should be allowed to. Apple on the other hand, it's their app store and they are and should be allowed to put whatever they want there. Gay people have the choice to not support people that don't support them too. However as we saw, Apple caved to the will of the people because they generally love to be in the press, only good press however.

As for the app in question, while I wouldn't download or use it myself as it serves me no purpose. There are plenty of apps that serve even less purpose (fart apps and other silly apps), but if say if Apple didn't pull it then it shouldn't be a problem to the people who don't want the app either! I don't download "hate apps" as they are dumb and there are plenty of websites out there that do the samething (and worse).

• Like 2

>snip<

There are plenty of apps that serve even less purpose (fart apps and other silly apps), but if say if Apple didn't pull it then it shouldn't be a problem to the people who don't want the app either! I don't download "hate apps" as they are dumb and there are plenty of websites out there that do the samething (and worse).

Well said.

What "side" are crying?

You are just assuming 80,000 gay people are complaining. I showed this to my gay housemate and he doesnt give a ****.

*me waves gay flag* I didn't know anything about this until someone posted the article on the website.

Why do people automatically assume that all 80,000 complainants are gay?

Gotta say, hate the term "moral compass". It's usually less about what people find right and wrong, and more about what they feel comfortable with doing.

"Moral compass" is exactly what people feel comfortable with doing, irrespective of right or wrong.

Nutshell is that

if you make an app promoting heterosexuality, Apple will remove it.

if you make an app promoting homosexuality, Apple will ... --- ... .

Why do people automatically assume that all 80,000 complainants are gay?

Umm... because maybe Apple assumed that?

Or maybe you're suggesting that "straight", "hetero" people complained about it?

There is nothing wrong with the app, nobody is born gay so it is very possible a person can leave that chosen lifestyle of depravity and return to normal, it makes no difference if you are christian or atheist.

But leave it to the hateful and intolerant homosexuals to cry over something so very minor, even though we don't really need an app to show the horrors of homosexuality, just look at the MSM rates at the CDC, if the facts don't change your mind then an app certainly isn't going to.

www.cdc.gov

There is nothing wrong with the app, nobody is born gay so it is very possible a person can leave that chosen lifestyle of depravity and return to normal, it makes no difference if you are christian or atheist.

But leave it to the hateful and intolerant homosexuals to cry over something so very minor, even though we don't really need an app to show the horrors of homosexuality, just look at the MSM rates at the CDC, if the facts don't change your mind then an app certainly isn't going to.

www.cdc.gov

Epitome of ignorance right here. You're a joke.

www.cdc.gov

What a load of ignorant crap you speak.

Again to all those who question what was even wrong with the app, forget all free speech for a moment - this app was getting people to do something that most medical professionals in the US say is harmful. That alone should get the app removed, nevermind free speech.

....they don't deserve to be ridiculed and belittled because a bunch of narrow minded religious pinheads don't agree with what they do

Thank you for re-inforcing my assumption.

"Moral compass" is exactly what people feel comfortable with doing, irrespective of right or wrong.

Nutshell is that

if you make an app promoting heterosexuality, Apple will remove it.

if you make an app promoting homosexuality, Apple will ... --- ... .

Or maybe you're suggesting that "straight", "hetero" people complained about it?

How do you know at all the sexualities of the people that complained? People complain about things they feel are wrong, I would imagine the idea of "trying to turn gays straight" would not bode well with any level headed, intelligent heterosexual person.

You don't see any apps trying to turn straights into gays do you?

Real Christianity has no place for bigotry, I'd just like to point that out. There are way too many people misrepresenting it.

I have to agree. I know a few Christians that I would consider "real" and they are the most loving and tolerant people I know. 100% of those people that preach hate are not real Christians at all.

This whole thing just proves, or re-inforces, for me three central points:

1: The App store really, really needs some 'quality control'. Apple have spend an insane amout of resources (time, money etc, etc) developing their hardware - the App capable devices (iPod Touch, iPhone) are the result of I'd wager easily $1bn worth of research and development between them. They engineer and design the hell out of their devices - and yet some of the stuff in the app store - well lets just say they ougta rename it the crapp store.

2: It's 2011. The terms 'Gay Community' and 'Religious organisation' (be it Catholicism, Judaism, etc, etc) don't really apply to peoples real world lifes. For me, the 'Gay Community' is beyond irrelevant to how I lead my life

3: Pretty soon, issues like this - religious morality vs 'Social morality' are gonna come to a head. There's a very, very fine line between protecting people from intollerance, hatred, and opression, and stifling peoples right to freedom of expression. I don't particularly like most 'mainstream' 'organised' religious groups, due to the viewpoints said organisations espouse, but I'd still defend their right to hold such opinions.

[Also - Not every gay guy is a flaming, Queeny McQueen, in the same way that the Fred Phelps isn't indicative of every 'religious' person)

tl;dr: Apple were right to pull the app. Not because it was 'homophobic', but because it isn't an app that's suitable for the classification that it received, and there's no 'cure' for homosexuality. If the app were re-worked, to a different model 'i.e. - "...Struggling with your sexuality? The following bible passages might help you to find comfort..." and the app were to be be re-classified at a higher age rating (I dunno, say 11+), then I personally, wouldn't have a problem with it being in the App Store.

Right, because drawing attention to something is so much better than letting it fall into obscurity. That worked well for the record industry when they sued Napster.

And it was pulled:

Apple pulls 'gay cure' iPhone app

I guess freedom of speech and expression only applies to homosexuals.

Tis a sad day when equality is not applied equally.

Now I wonder though... would Apple pull an app that promotes homosexuality or a way for homosexuals to connect if the religious complained vociferously?

In my opinion there is a massive difference between the two things you've just mentioned.

Believing in and following a religion is a choice. Of course you cannot choose what you believe, but you can choose to read a particular holy book. It's possible to believe in a Deity without believing in a particular religion's holy book.

Sexuality is NOT a choice. Assuming you're straight, you didn't just wake up one day and decide to be straight did you? People have a natural attraction to a certain gender and they realise that as they're growing up... it's not a conscious decision.

If people don't agree with homosexuality it's from their own upbringing and outlook on life. Therefore, in my opinion, upsetting religious people is just fine, because those people chose that way of life and must now deal with it. Homosexuals don't have a choice in the matter. They are what they are.

That is why an app that offers way for homosexuals to connect is fine, but an app that hates on homosexuality is not fine. It's no different to racism, ageism or sexism.

if the facts don't change your mind then an app certainly isn't going to.

Perhaps you need to look at the "facts" and the rubbish that you are saying.

In this case they are forcing their beliefs on other people by trying to kill off choice. If someone wants to make an app that says Gay people should die or print it in the newspaper or whatever then they are legally allowed to.

Actually, no they are not.

In the same way that someone can't do the same about black people.

I didn't get around to complaining about it, but that is more to do with how quickly it was removed.

You do realise that you can be straight, and still be opposed to homophobia and bigotry.

Perhaps you need to look at the "facts" and the rubbish that you are saying.

The facts can easily be seen at the cdc site, particularly the facts regarding hiv and gay males, if you feel their facts are flawed then perhaps you should send them a letter pointing out the alleged flaws, otherwise the cdc findings are accurate and irrefutable.

Considering a large percentage of people in the LGBT community are avid Apple users (in Canada at least), I can see this being pulled eventually in order for Apple to maintain a positive reputation within that community.

Apple has removed the app.

I'm glad it only took a few posts for the whole "freedom of speech" card to be played, the internet never lets me down. Freedom of speech means jack **** in this case, it an app hosted on apple's private network, they've shown in the past they can obviously filter its content to their likings.

I have no problem about the app itself, who cares it's stupid as hell, the problem is the fact apple on one hand says you can't put certain things in the app store and are OK with hateful **** like this.

A sad day for freedom and morality, a great day for hatred and intolerance.

More like the other way around

The facts can easily be seen at the cdc site, particularly the facts regarding hiv and gay males, if you feel their facts are flawed then perhaps you should send them a letter pointing out the alleged flaws, otherwise the cdc findings are accurate and irrefutable.

The facts are that you do not choose your sexuality. Did you wake up one day and decide that you are straight? Of course not. You just are.

Thread cleaned

This thread is about an Apple App Store application. Please go to the Official Homosexuality Thread if you want to discuss that and not the app.

Valid question I suppose.

I'm not gay and I'm not religious but I find that in general both of those groups are as intollerent as each other.

You don't find the LGBT community murdering hundreds of christians every year simply because they are christian. Lots of LGBT people are religious as well. Based on what I see and hear almost every day, I will absolutely say that religious people are generally much more intolerant of LGBT people than LGBT people are of religious people, but that's getting a bit off topic. I think that a lot of religious people will find this app to be offensive as well, and an app like this does not seem to represent the views of the majority in the US, and hooray for that.

Also, this app has no medical backing.

Should the app have been pulled? That's completely up to Apple.

'freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus' -- Praise da Lawd :laugh:

and look how well that worked out for them :devil: more than a few clergy have been caught out giving personal blessing :hump: to little boys