Free texting service

I am interested in using data for everything on my phone. Starting with skype for calls and now I want to use a texting service that uses my data. Been using heytell for a bit but it gives me another number.

Are there any that lets you use your current number? In canada as well.

I am interested in using data for everything on my phone. Starting with skype for calls and now I want to use a texting service that uses my data. Been using heytell for a bit but it gives me another number.

have you tried google Voice ?

Google Voice would do the trick you could also send Email to txt, such as if you wanted to send a txt to someone on verizon it would be 0000000000@vtext.com for the email address where the 0's are their phone number. This would be All Data driven, Also they ARE able to reply, I used to use this trick on my old phone so that I would not have to get a texting plan :p

I don't think you will find exactly what you are looking for if you want to use your current number and receive texts via a data connection and not by using a texting plan. I'm not sure about Google Voice in Canada. You get a Google Voice phone number that can be used to get texts via your data connection (and an App if your phone is supported). You can also set it up so that it forwards texts sent to your GV# to your cell phone (but this will use the texting service from your provider). For awhile I had phone calls to my GV# to my cell phone and the texts I just had emailed to me. That worked OK, and I didn't pay as much for texting. TextFree also works pretty well too (at least for iPhone). But all these services will give you a new number that you would have to distribute in order to take advantage of their features. I just kept my texting for another month and everytime someone sent me a text a replied back using my GV# and asked them to use that # instead now. Most people will just immediately update their phone book, some people might take a few times.

Since then, AT&T offered 1000 txts for $10 which seemed like a more reasonable rate to me (previously $5=200, $15=1500, $25=unlimited). So I'm back to just using my carrier for texts. One thing I miss about not using Google Voice as much is I could do all my texting from anything that could access email.

I will check again if google voice is in canada but I'm sure it's not. I don't have a problem with getting a new number, if I can have that number my calling and texting together.

The whole email option don't sound good to me, I enjoy the texting type of interface.

Am I wrong, but wouldn't a service like that most likely keep track of your IM's as well... I wouldn't want anyone more than my service provider and those I txt knowing what I'm texting.... but I could be totally wrong.

Or, just have everyone get on AIM or some other form of IM for any message based contact....