any pad that has ethernet port?

I'm having a bit of trouble imagining why you would need an ethernet port. If you have some sort of accessory or printer that needs to use an ethernet jack then you could look at a wireless bridge device. I use one here to wirelessly connect my top floor with my basement.

That's kinda funny. I just pictured myself in the garden using an iPad with a huge network cable connected to it. >_>

That's kinda funny. I just pictured myself in the garden using an iPad with a huge network cable connected to it. >_>

Well, you might also need to picture yourself carrying an ethernet bridge and a long extension cord for its AC adapter as well.

Some of the cheap chinese clone Android tablets come with ethernet ports. Love all the replies here, he didnt ask for your opinions on wether he should use ethernet or not, if he wants to tether himself to ethernet then let him do it.

• Like 3

Some of the cheap chinese clone Android tablets come with ethernet ports. Love all the replies here, he didnt ask for your opinions on wether he should use ethernet or not, if he wants to tether himself to ethernet then let him do it.

Well this is a discussion forum :p

Maybe he doesn't want to get bogged down with wireless. I know my wireless used to get bogged down by my brother downloading the entire Internet via the wireless, but since I made a few changes to my network setup, I don't have that problem anymore :D

a more likely reply would be that he might want to use it while travelling. a lot of hotel have ethernet port for internet but no wireless. Also, some offices only allow wired network devices in order ot make their office network secure from wireless intrusions in the vicinity.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old topic, however I found it in a Google Search while searching for a Tablet with Ethernet Port and wanted to say thanks for the heads up on the Cheap Chinese Android Tablets, will do a search and see if I can find a reliable one.

The reason I want the Ethernet connectivity, is that with work I connect to Set Top Boxes and Satellite Boxes via an Ethernet Port to do Maintenance/Set-Up on them and carrying around a Tablet rather than a Laptop/Netbook would be far more easier (plus the longer battery time is a bonus for a 8-12 hour work day, which on Laptop/Netbook is weighty if you get a bigger pack).

There are probably heaps of Techs doing field work that would like an Ethernet Port as it would be handy for similar reasons.

Big Thanks again for the info.

Some of the newer Digital Output Satellite Decoders have built in Wireless Modems on 3G (Aerials on etc), however for Maintenance you still need to connect via Ethernet.

So for those Security reasons it would likely not work, due to some of the things you can do via it (like change the Channel Mapping etc), plus it says "Configurable/Designate the Ethernet port as “WAN Mode” and create a WiFi hotspot from a wired internet connection," which would have to be done prior to the Boxes being installed by the company supplying them.

Thanks xendrome, will have a look in to that; saw a similar one one on EBay just now as well: http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_5977wt_1139

Either of those may do the trick, as at the end of day it is only for doing that type of work and if it is not perfect for other things then it probably won't matter too much (plus the price is not so bad for something that will live in a glovebox/sit on a car seat a lot).

For anyone curious this is the type of Box I am talking of (more industrial one for install in AV Racks in Hotels etc):

post-417801-0-28162600-1318635001.jpg

2 Connection points in Modem and HMS, so why a Tablet with Ethernet connection would be handy.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Why there have not many persons interested in the idea of Ethernet Connection over usb/micro usb to android tablets ? Actually it will be very helpful for I.T Technicians for solving the network problems.With this option in tablets we can use tablet in place of our bulk Laptops to connect directly to Routers, Switches , wireless Access point for their initial configuration.

With out this how we can start to use our routers /Manageable switches or wireless access points .How we can get wireless signal to our tablets if we are not configured our wireless router?.Is tablets are not going to replace laptops ?

Hi

Why there have not many persons interested in the idea of Ethernet Connection over usb/micro usb to android tablets ? Actually it will be very helpful for I.T Technicians for solving the network problems.With this option in tablets we can use tablet in place of our bulk Laptops to connect directly to Routers, Switches , wireless Access point for their initial configuration.

With out this how we can start to use our routers /Manageable switches or wireless access points .How we can get wireless signal to our tablets if we are not configured our wireless router?.Is tablets are not going to replace laptops ?

Just carry a Wireless Access Point with you that you have pre-configured your tablet to connect to as soon as it is plugged in. Apple Airport Express comes to mind. There are other manufacturers obviously but that is the obvious option that springs to mind. Just plug it directly into the mains power and connect the network cable into the ethernet port and your iPad/Tablet has ethernet network access in seconds, without the need to re-configure anything once it has been setup as a bridge the first time. You would spend more time finding the Apps you need to actually do the network admin. Packet sniffing might be a bit hard as you would only have one network interface if your troubleshooting takes you that far.

• 1 month later...

Looks like most folks aren't taking this desire seriously.

But I'm in the market for a tablet with ethernet as well, due to office policy.

I'm a web developer and I'm trying to budget out a request for a tablet to develop and test a mobile version of my company's website. But we've got an office policy of no wireless in the building (...), and IT's already lost the battle to reverse that a couple of times...

Hoping to avoid one of the Chinese cheap ones, as I'd need something that would last more than 24 hours past removing the packaging... But I guess if that's the route I have to go, that's where I'll go...

• 1 month later...

yes I thought is a little strange in some of the above responses suggesting "beats the purpose of a tablet" etc.

I guess you need to know what the purpose is and the intended use.

come here looking for same solution only becasue a tablet would be cost effective against a touchscreen+PC + cables+ and all the other hassels of system OS

when I require is a small control screen to make a few selections on a single web page (on a local intranet)

and for security and convience the tablet is going to be bolted down to the wall - (no longer mobile)

close to a power point and Eth port. (can use wireless but prefer not) due to speed and interferance issues.

anyhow why does tablet need to be required to be mobile? as if it wasn't it would far more useful.......

arhh... only a pipe dream - tablets with an ethernet port - I could make a mint.....

thanks for above responses - some direction now!

cheers,