• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 23 August 2012 - 18:11

so is this the official distinction or just your opinion. Tablet is low end touch screen, and table pc is a high end touch screen! Correct?

Well, exactly the opposite, in fact. All of them - just tablets. Purely my opinion, to have it all less cluttered.

Tablet PC goes back to 2001 when ol' Billy (Bill Gates) utterly failed bringing Windows XP touchscreen devices to masses. It must have stuck to all Windows touchscreen devices.

Personally I can only recommend Gigabyte S1081, because I've actually played with it. It's expensive and underpowered (well - it runs a full desktop OS after all, perhaps Windows 8 runs better?), but not half bad feature-wise - supports 2.5" drives (SSD, too), keyboard's ok if needed. Battery life - what you'd expect from x86 running full desktop OS. Linux is a possibility with some tinkering.

#47 jrenver

jrenver

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:58

Well, exactly the opposite, in fact. All of them - just tablets. Purely my opinion, to have it all less cluttered.

Tablet PC goes back to 2001 when ol' Billy (Bill Gates) utterly failed bringing Windows XP touchscreen devices to masses. It must have stuck to all Windows touchscreen devices.

Personally I can only recommend Gigabyte S1081, because I've actually played with it. It's expensive and underpowered (well - it runs a full desktop OS after all, perhaps Windows 8 runs better?), but not half bad feature-wise - supports 2.5" drives (SSD, too), keyboard's ok if needed. Battery life - what you'd expect from x86 running full desktop OS. Linux is a possibility with some tinkering.

Ahh ok thankyou.
yes i remember the 2001 devices.... worked with several of the HP laptop style with the 180 rotateable screen. very Poo.
Being a windows engineer would rather stick to Android for touchscreens (lol). not that there is anything wrong/wright with windows touchscreens, i question Microsofts design choices since 2003.

Thanks agin for this info

#48 krikoman

krikoman

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:05

I completely understand why you might want a network port on a tablet, I have one!!

I use it to set up and fault find on ethernet to RS485 gateways spread around a large manufacturing plant. I used to use a laptop but waiting for it to boot, size and battery life got me down.

I ended up buying a 10.2"Inch FLYTOUCH 8 SUPERPAD Android 4.0.3 1.2GHz 16GB GPS TABLET 1GB DDR3 APAD which has neither 1GB memory or the 16GB storage, close but no cigar. Build quality leaves a little to be desired and the battery isn’t great - about 3 hours AND is discharges when shutdown by 16% a day!! Not switched off (standby) but shutdown.

But it boots in 45 seconds and it has a network port so I don't have to have other bits hanging off it that I can forget or that I need extra power supplies for.

I couldn't really recommend it but £98 inc VAT what can you really expect. I'm happy with it at that price but would gladly pay double for a decent tablet with network port.

As for the "Why would you want that" brigade I hope what I've typed above might show you why!! Don't be so dismissive. As for size this tablet is only just thicker than the port itself which is plenty thin enough for most people.

#49 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:37

Way to Necro, and make a product sound like its REALLY worth having :)