Replacing explorerframe.dll breaks dialogue boxes?

This seems to be a common problem with all visual styles which require the explorerframe.dll file to be replaced...

Most OS dialogue boxes (for example when you save a file and chose the location in any browser) breaks.

The sidebar doesn't list anything and the dropdown to choose a folder is empty too.

Fixes?

Or will this be a problem as long as you want to use the dll replacement?

Didn't know about that one but still, there's got to be a way to fix it. I can't imagine that all of the vs creators are making the same mistake so perhaps it's just an inherent problem from editing that dll at all?

And also stops you using MSN..

That might explain my issue, thanks!

Didn't know about that one but still, there's got to be a way to fix it. I can't imagine that all of the vs creators are making the same mistake so perhaps it's just an inherent problem from editing that dll at all?

Well I fixed some of the dialog boxes, by restoring the explorerframe in the SysWow folder to default.

Yeah this is the first it has ever happened to me as well! I seen if you only replace the system32 (if your using 64bit) explorerframe then everything should be alright.

Does anyone know where I can get the unaltered versions of explorerframe for both system32 and syswow folders? I tried the sfc/scannow and it doesnt even scan those..

Hang on, what should the procedure of dll replacement go like on windows 7 x64?

I replace both the system32 and sysWOW64 explorerframe.dll files with the x64 versions distributed with visual styles.

I think you're saying system32 = copy the 32bit file here

and sysWOW64 = copy the 64bit version here?

Hang on, what should the procedure of dll replacement go like on windows 7 x64?

I replace both the system32 and sysWOW64 explorerframe.dll files with the x64 versions distributed with visual styles.

I think you're saying system32 = copy the 32bit file here

and sysWOW64 = copy the 64bit version here?

If your changing the explorerframe.dll with a 64bit OS, only use the 64bit dll in system32 - thats all

Same goes for 32bit, only replace the dll with the 32bit version and put it also in system32

No need to touch sysWOW

If you want a total replacement on 64bit Windows, it must be like this:

The 64bit DLL goes to System32

the 32bit DLL to SysWOW64

This is the correct order, system32 holds the 64bit files while SysWOW64 holds the 32bit compatibility layer, it stands for System Windows on Windows64

Confusing, I know but it works^^

This seems to be a common problem with all visual styles which require the explorerframe.dll file to be replaced...

Most OS dialogue boxes (for example when you save a file and chose the location in any browser) breaks.

The sidebar doesn't list anything and the dropdown to choose a folder is empty too.

Fixes?

Or will this be a problem as long as you want to use the dll replacement?

There are two explorerframe.dll files. Make SURE you only replace the one in the System32 folder or you will end up with what you have.

There is an easy program that will do all necessary replacing of system files.

Windows Se7en File Replacer

If you want a total replacement on 64bit Windows, it must be like this:

The 64bit DLL goes to System32

the 32bit DLL to SysWOW64

This is the correct order, system32 holds the 64bit files while SysWOW64 holds the 32bit compatibility layer, it stands for System Windows on Windows64

Confusing, I know but it works^^

Totally wrong - I replace mine every few weeks - you do not touch the sysWOW64 folder

You only replace the dll corresponding to the architecture of your OS in the system32 folder ONLY

You get 2 folders in a theme pack

Explorerframe.dll 64bit

Explorerframe.dll 32bit

If you have a 64bit OS - You ONLY replace the 64 bit dll into the system32 folder

The 32bit dll is ONLY for 32bit OS's and that also ONLY goes into the system32 folder

I have been doing this for years, do not confuse him, the way you are telling him is the way he has tried and failed

Its an explorerframe .... EXPLORER... is there a 32bit Explorer in 64bit Windows ?

sysWOW64 is to run 32bit apps in emulation in the 64bit environment

I replace both explorerframe.dll in System32 and SysWOW64.

For x64,

the 64-bit dll in System32

the 32-bit dll in SysWOW64

I replace both as I noticed that the back-forward buttons in the open file etc dialog of 32-bit applications does not change with just replacing the copy in System32.

Also to be sure the explorerframe.dll is the right version, extract the images from the themed explorerframe.dll and reshack the images to the copy of explorerframe.dll currently on your system.

For x64,

I replace both as I noticed that the back-forward buttons in the open file etc dialog of 32-bit applications does not change with just replacing the copy in System32.

Also to be sure the explorerframe.dll is the right version, extract the images from the themed explorerframe.dll and reshack the images to the copy of explorerframe.dll currently on your system.

I dont get which dialogue boxes you mean ? 32bit apps? They are apps though surely, this is for explorer

Can you screenshot me a 32bit open file dialogue box please to explain

For x64,

No, you didn't becuse you would have crashed your system. Replacing the explorerframe.dll in the sysWOW64 folder on a 64bit install will CRASH explorer on reboot. ONLY replace the explorerframe.dll in the system32 folder.

No, you didn't becuse you would have crashed your system. Replacing the explorerframe.dll in the sysWOW64 folder on a 64bit install will CRASH explorer on reboot. ONLY replace the explorerframe.dll in the system32 folder.

Replacing the explorerframe.dll in SysWOW64 will not crash anything aslong as you place a 32bit DLL there! I did this on multiple PCs including my own laptop and everythings running fine! The crashes you mention happen when you place a 64bit DLL in SysWOW64.

And iron2000is absolutely right, there are 32bit Explorer dialogs in 32bit apps like the "Open..." dialog for example that will still have the normal arrows if you replace the file in System32 only on a 64bit system^^

I stand corrected although I have NEVER ever noticed this before - I always only replace the system32 dll

40733768.png

It's hard to notice that I admit, took me a while to notice myself :p

It's hard to notice that I admit, took me a while to notice myself :p

I guess it depends on the theme though, if I had big purple hearts for normal explorer I might have noticed faster lol

But anyway thanks for the info on how to correctly apply a theme dll change ;)

Replacing the explorerframe.dll in SysWOW64 will not crash anything aslong as you place a 32bit DLL there! I did this on multiple PCs including my own laptop and everythings running fine! The crashes you mention happen when you place a 64bit DLL in SysWOW64.

And iron2000is absolutely right, there are 32bit Explorer dialogs in 32bit apps like the "Open..." dialog for example that will still have the normal arrows if you replace the file in System32 only on a 64bit system^^

I took the explorerframe.dll from the Blend 2.0b SP1 theme folder and replaced the System32 explorerframe.dll, and the sysWOW64 explorerframe.dll and rebooted. All went well untill I typed my username and password. It crashed stating I had some explorer problem. Going to DOS, I replaced the explorerframe.dll in the sysWOW64 folder with the original and all was good.

I guess it depends on the theme though, if I had big purple hearts for normal explorer I might have noticed faster lol

But anyway thanks for the info on how to correctly apply a theme dll change ;)

Haha, that might be :rofl: And sure, anytime! :)

EDIT:

@Night Prowler:

If that happens you must have a 32bit/64bit mixup somewhere and placed a wrong file in a wrong folder or the DLL versions itself conflict with your OS version (although that happens very rarely)